What do you do with your birds at the end of the day

Telford Chris

I do hold a half dozen tidy ones in my freezer for decoys if we are talking pigeons and when these get tatty they go in my wood for buzzard bait along with any tree rats I might have sorted.

The pheasants, partridge and ducks...close to 25 brace a season get eaten here at home or any damaged ones get stripped and the good meat goes in game pies for 'elevensies' on shoot days. I always accept an extra brace if offered as I can use them no problem.

All my pigeons get processed here at home, either fully de breasted for smoking or game pies or left on the 'crown' for braising.   Non go to waste.

I consider the few which get fed to the buzzards not wasted as whilst they are eating pigeon they lay off the partridge..pheasant etc.

Pigeon isn't officially a 'game' bird, they are in fact officially (?) classified as vermin, or at least have pest status and thus have no closed season, unlike game.  Saying that, they make for very good eating.

You can sell or give them away if you have an outlet, breast them and freeze to either eat yourself or cook up for the dog, or dump them with the landowners permission.  There was a time I used to freeze some for the ferrets, but I no longer keep ferrets. 

We do a combination of all the suggestions I've mentioned above. 

22 minutes ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Is that a personal opinion or a fact. 

The stories about Uber cabs in London just go from bad to worse, quite bizarre stories really.

I have never used them so I cannot speak from experience but both my sons used them and said they were appalling. The deal is the driver subscribes to an app on his phone which he uses in his own car to pick up passengers. Who is actually driving the car and what car they are driving nobody knows, all you know is they have possession of the phone with the app on it. But he may well have borrowed or been rented the phone for the night. Very strange practices going on.

Edited by Vince Green

9 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Lay on garage floor over night to cool then freeze , when I have  approx 1500 take to dealer and change for cash or cartridges.

Having 1500 in various freezers would be a bit extreme for most pigeon shooters mainly due to having the space , the amount of freezers and more importantly having the time and the pigeons on your perms to get them sort of numbers  

For the majority of us we either fill up one or freezers and then off load around 250 / 300 to the dealers , then clean out the freezers and start all over again.

I have long since avoided shooting big numbers for the very simple reason that often you can't even give them away here. Back in the day I had a contact in Dover where he'd take all you could shoot and his son who worked on the ferries would take them over to France and sell them for reasonable returns, we got 20p if memory serves. I found the odd fishmonger who'd take 40-50 and next time ask you to pluck them or just refuse by saying they're too much hassle ! 

I know of one guy who'll take them off your hand but won't pay anything because he in turn has to pluck them to sell to make it worthwhile ! I have since found two game dealer contacts within 20 miles of where I live who say they will take rabbits and pigeon but to date haven't shot a big enough bag to warrant a trip and don't really have the means to run a chest freezer for that sole reason. Quite a few of my country home rabbit perms are keen for the odd dressed bit of wild meat and I enjoy providing it as it gives you an excuse to have a few minutes chat with them so they know you've been there and keeping a look out for things. 

When asked to clear rabbits by a farmer I run the carcasses over to Wildwood zoo near me who I believe feed them to their wolves/owls etc. 

Having got a dozen woodies yesterday, I plucked and gutted them and after watching the latest Jamie Oliver TV program, where he made a chicken dish, I adapted it for pigeons, with courgette, onion, garlic, capers, sage, bay, cinnamon stick, chilli powder, ( no fresh available) lemon and balsamic mixed with sugar, elderberry wine, toasted pine nuts, pistachio nuts and almonds. It's all in the oven now, slowly cooking until the meat falls off the bone. I cut each bird in half and shallow fried/browned before adding the other ingredients. I also salted the big chunks of courgette to get out some of the water and fried some colour on to them before adding to the roasting tin. It's all covered with tin foil to keep the moisture in. Only problem I have is there's only me and the missus! 12 pigeons may keep us fed for a few days ?

On 19/08/2018 at 21:48, Vince Green said:

The stories about Uber cabs in London just go from bad to worse, quite bizarre stories really.

I have never used them so I cannot speak from experience but both my sons used them and said they were appalling. The deal is the driver subscribes to an app on his phone which he uses in his own car to pick up passengers. Who is actually driving the car and what car they are driving nobody knows, all you know is they have possession of the phone with the app on it. But he may well have borrowed or been rented the phone for the night. Very strange practices going on.

I've used Uber in and around London, and most of the time it has been just fine. The app shows you who will arrive, name and photo, and the make, model and colour of the car.

Oh, and it is so long since I had a surfeit of pigeon, so for myself, I eat the lot.

35 minutes ago, John_R said:

I've used Uber in and around London, and most of the time it has been just fine. The app shows you who will arrive, name and photo, and the make, model and colour of the car.

Oh, and it is so long since I had a surfeit of pigeon, so for myself, I eat the lot.

Flew down for the Man City game the other week and Uber was superb.

Couldnt have asked for better service and it was easy to remember the names,4 of 5 were Mo something or other.