Chain saw sharpener

wigeon jim

get someone to teach you how to do it by hand...and when to file the rakers down..............doing it by hand will get it sharper more than any other way..........and quicker too

use a purpose made tool if you will ...it will do a good job....but by hand is the proper way...and you learn about the saw.........

6 minutes ago, ditchman said:

get someone to teach you how to do it by hand...and when to file the rakers down..............doing it by hand will get it sharper more than any other way..........and quicker too

use a purpose made tool if you will ...it will do a good job....but by hand is the proper way...and you learn about the saw.........

Ditchy is spot on

for a lot of years I ran several saws. sthils and a big old jonsered (a ****** to start) I had me mate sharpen a couple of chains for me with a machine and they did not hold an edge the same as when I sharpened them by hand. Plenty of videos on tubeyou for sharpening and a kit you can buy for not a lot of money. I used me saws for many jobs and around an old shoot for felling stuff. If you are dealing with a lot of wood in day you will find that you may need to hone up a chain whilst away from home, only takes five minutes and if you have not got access to power you cannot sharpen up. I am not a tree surgeon but it never used to amaze me that how quick a chain can dull when working on heavy material.

atb

7diaw

15 minutes ago, ditchman said:

this,  buy 2 files and a guide, need a block of wood and a clamp of some type, its just a quick touch up, just a couple of minutes when you've finished, then your ready for next time

My mate bought a Oregon electric one a few years ago now after using the hand file for many many years before that. Hand file now is the last option, the electric one has all the angles/rakers the same, & when using the sharpener all the time every cutter/raker is the same, unlike with hand files.

Still use the files out & about, but now you can get battery powered sharpeners if your that keen.

Loads for sale on ebay/aliexpress, but they are cheap plastic look alikes, Oregon are pricey, but 4yr down the line it's still going strong.

I had the files and ended up with blades sharper one side than the other, which would not cut straight. The sharpen shop is 12 miles away and charges £7.50. I bought a cheap e bay electric sharpener (about £25) and it takes a few minutes to do and its perfect. It grips each link and is very simple to use. 

Edited by oowee

As Ditchy suggests. Not rocket science. You can buy guides to give raker levels but after a while you learn when and how much to shave a bit off. I know of only one person who had one of those electric thingies and he went through chains like they were made of ice cream. If you treat your chain properly and give it a regular touch up like a good woman it will stay sharp and serve you well.

Edited by Walker570

I bought the silverline one and took a bit of setting up to get used to it being a bit cheaply made but I can sharpen a chain thats been used on a stump in a couple of minutes, also handy for the big chains off the milling bar! 

Hand files are for keepling a chain sharp, once its blunt ir really needs to go on a machine to bring it back. 

I was told that if you use a electric file sharpener the heat tempers the chain . And a hand file would not work on it . If your out in the woods cutting timber , you shoyld keep sharpening your file , so as Simon say learn to do it by hand . I saw a one that had two rubber rollers , one each side of the chain , seem to work well , as in if you did not hold it right it would not travel over the two rubber roller , the file that is . You can soon get a feel for the angle use a finger on the other side as a guide  . Five stroke each and your good to go .

I was told that if you use a electric file sharpener the heat tempers the chain . And a hand file would not work on it . If your out in the woods cutting timber , you shoyld keep sharpening your file

If the chain was tempered it would be soft & easier to file, & how do you sharpen a file.?

24 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

If the chain was tempered it would be soft & easier to file, & how do you sharpen a file.?

Ok i ment a electric chainsaw sharpener. I do mine by hand , its a long way back from the woods to the shed . Plus if your not carefull with those electric sharperners you can soon grind the teeth down .

22 hours ago, johnphilip said:

I was told that if you use a electric file sharpener the heat tempers the chain . And a hand file would not work on it . If your out in the woods cutting timber , you shoyld keep sharpening your file , so as Simon say learn to do it by hand . I saw a one that had two rubber rollers , one each side of the chain , seem to work well , as in if you did not hold it right it would not travel over the two rubber roller , the file that is . You can soon get a feel for the angle use a finger on the other side as a guide  . Five stroke each and your good to go .

this is sound advice once sharpened electricly you will struggle manualy.

23 hours ago, markm said:

Get a stihl easy file.

Expensive, but once you have one will last for ever. The get the blade like new in minutes. 

Probably need a 4mm one. 

+1

I got mine off fleabay, a lot cheaper. Very easy to use, quick and able to use onsite.

Look on YouTube, there are plenty of video's.

Incidentely, I took a chain, that had only been used once, to a garden machine place for 'professional' sharpening. They wrecked the chain by taking massive amounts of material off and over heating it, thus removing the temper, plus they left massive burrs on each tooth. I complained and got a new chain from them, but that's not the point.

I use the dremel attachment but you need to keep the speed low to avoid overheating the chain. If it turns blue, you've wrecked that link.

Only good for workshop use as you need a power supply. I've stopped using files totally.  I found the dremel does a far better job.

I do like the sound of the stihl easy file. I'll have to look into that.

1 hour ago, Big Al said:

I use the dremel attachment but you need to keep the speed low to avoid overheating the chain. If it turns blue, you've wrecked that link.

Only good for workshop use as you need a power supply. I've stopped using files totally.  I found the dremel does a far better job.

I do like the sound of the stihl easy file. I'll have to look into that.

Just make sure you choose the right one for your chain size .right round file size . Just ordered one .like that it has two files .one for each side .

Those powersharp bars/chains are junk and only work with the special chains as the cutter is on the outside of the chain.

With a saw as small as that by the time u've took the chain of , placed it in machine and refitted it  u could of sharpened it by hand easily.

Must admit i didn't think most electric sharpeners done the rakers too. I do have a cheap 1 but never ever used it

Guesiing a 3/16 chain on a saw of that size.

Its not that hard to do ny hand, u don't want to be putting a lot of pressure on the files either.

Probably the best thing is those stihl file holders as does rakers at same time.

To keep the chain even prob the easiest way is to use a uneven number of strokes on each side say 3 with ur good hand but mibee 4-6 with ur bad hand until it gets more used to it and decrease the number as u get better. Seen folk do all sorts of wierd and wonderful ways so they can sharpen bith sides with there good hand

Also keep replacing ur files and try to keep them clean, makes it fa easier witha decent file

If anyone can't manage to sharpen a chain by hand it makes me wonder whether they have the practical skill level to use a chainsaw in the first place. 

That said I got a Stihl saw dirt cheap off a guy who said it wouldn't cut... 

He'd put the chain on backwards and revved the guts out of it, I just put a new sprocket chain and bar on it and it worked fine! Sold it for more than double what I spent on it. 

So Mungo's are useful at times. 

7 hours ago, ClemFandango said:

If anyone can't manage to sharpen a chain by hand it makes me wonder whether they have the practical skill level to use a chainsaw in the first place. 

That said I got a Stihl saw dirt cheap off a guy who said it wouldn't cut... 

He'd put the chain on backwards and revved the guts out of it, I just put a new sprocket chain and bar on it and it worked fine! Sold it for more than double what I spent on it. 

So Mungo's are useful at times. 

Funnily enough,  I have a brand new electric chainsaw in my shed that had been thrown away , the chain had been fitted backwards and wouldn't cut lol .