not a bad week

yickdaz

booked  a few weeks off work to get some shooting and fishing done, and up to now I have done been chipping away at the pigeons hard to pin them down to any one field at the min they are spread out all over the place with so many  stubbles about   just picking up on the best flightlines we find on the day  either flighting  or decoying  bags ranging from about 20 up to 60    shooting short afternoon  sessions of 2, 3, 4 hrs at a time 

IMG_20180804_174031 (800x600).jpg

IMG_20180722_181816 (1024x768) (800x600).jpg

IMG_20180811_181644 (800x600).jpg

IMG_20180812_182441 (600x800).jpg

IMG_20180818_182108 (600x800).jpg

IMG_20180819_180955 (600x800).jpg

Well worth taking a bit of time off for yickdaz , at the moment we would struggle to get your higher bag of 60 , Friday I got 27 and Saturday was nearly a disaster , I went on a part cut wheat field that had been cut twice around the headland and the rest was standing , things were quite and I had only shot 5 in the first hour and then the combine pulled in the gateway to finish the rest off , rather than stay with all that dust flying about I upped stakes and moved on to some old barley stubble that still held a few pigeons , it was now 3pm and on my personal radio Norwich was just starting  kick off , so I passed the time listening to the footie and shooting a few pigeons until the game finished with the final score 3. 2 to Sheffield and my score was 19 combined bags .

I would say it was a pretty good week! Plenty of good bags there.

I didn't even set up this weekend. I'm still waiting for a few wheat and barley fields to be cut, plus several bean fields. That should give me enough sport for the next month or so.

Nice to see you are still chipping away at them Daz. I have been doing similar but have not been out much due to workload and stress at home etc. I did share a lovely flighted bag of 67 pigeons with JDog a fortnight ago but sadly never got the chance to report.

out on Wednesday , but not expecting anything exciting ,just have a ride round, made up some pigeon extreme specials of my own concoction I will see how they go on some high driven with a bit of luck , I know a place, but getting back to the subject I have never known it so quiet no movement at all anywhere , yes the odd few about but nothing to get excited about , but that's just me .

1 hour ago, motty said:

I would say it was a pretty good week! Plenty of good bags there.

I didn't even set up this weekend. I'm still waiting for a few wheat and barley fields to be cut, plus several bean fields. That should give me enough sport for the next month or so.

We only had one good size bean field in what is normally a good area with barley stubble fields surrounding it , as you well know a lot of beans are left behind after cutting and a pigeon could land on any part and start eating beans without hardly moving more a foot or more , I know there are different varieties but how do a pigeon know weather they like them or not if they don't go on the field to try them first ? 

It have now been cut for over a week and not a single pigeon have shown any interest up to now , in fact my wife came with me this afternoon to have a look around and the bean stubble was still deserted . apart from a few fields of wheat down the marsh all our upland crops are now finished and I should be alright on the stubble while the bales are still on as the farmer who want them is a one man band and can only cart them off when the time allow .

Cracking week off I’d say! It’s a strange year as I’ve not shot any real big bags on the stubble so far, but had various days from 20-100 so not complaining....all have been 1-3 o clock set ups too. 

Missed out on some cracking days through work etc, but we haven’t all got the luxury to go when we like eh! 

3 hours ago, Wilts#Dave said:

Cracking week off I’d say! It’s a strange year as I’ve not shot any real big bags on the stubble so far, but had various days from 20-100 so not complaining....all have been 1-3 o clock set ups too. 

Missed out on some cracking days through work etc, but we haven’t all got the luxury to go when we like eh! 

can't complain at all I,m happy with that,  I agree with you normally by now we would of had a few 100 plus bags best bag was 81 last month picked 74 and that was on a grass field next to a rape stubble we couldn't shoot , and speaking of rape stubble best bag we had was 18 off one of them 2 years in a row now rape stubble has been a real disappointment, as motty says same around  here still barley and wheat fields to be cut yet including a small bean field, there is more to come I,m certain of it

22 hours ago, yickdaz said:

can't complain at all I,m happy with that,  I agree with you normally by now we would of had a few 100 plus bags best bag was 81 last month picked 74 and that was on a grass field next to a rape stubble we couldn't shoot , and speaking of rape stubble best bag we had was 18 off one of them 2 years in a row now rape stubble has been a real disappointment, as motty says same around  here still barley and wheat fields to be cut yet including a small bean field, there is more to come I,m certain of it

Strangely spoke too soon as I took the afternoon off today to shoot a pea stubble that has only just started showing a few birds and knocked up the best bag of the summer for us picking 164. Cracking surprise, only a dozen or so on it when we arrived! 

Rape stubble has given us the majority of our shooting too, so strange how much things differ from county to county/different parts of the country. 

Cropping makes a big difference to our bags year on year, with lots of our prime fields/farms growing lots of oats/linseed now where they used to grow peas and beans! 

Well done Daz, nothing wrong with small bags each day as each set up is different. Just nice to be away from work. While I've been away not many bags reported on PW but a good number on FB. Had some reports from home of two hundred plus bags but not many. 

Enjoy the rest of your holiday and the carp fishing.

14 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Well done Daz, nothing wrong with small bags each day as each set up is different. Just nice to be away from work. While I've been away not many bags reported on PW but a good number on FB. Had some reports from home of two hundred plus bags but not many. 

Enjoy the rest of your holiday and the carp fishing.

any time off work is welcome and enjoyed bud, and I will make the most of the rest of it  I was only thinking the other day seems like the site has died a death a little, while FB  seems to be very busy