Rifle scope run out of elevation

Cornish lad

Hi guys my friend would like to get into shooting longer ranges ,he shoots a ackly243 with a vortex viper scope on board on low mounts ,the problem he has got is he has just about run out of being able to dial his scope to bring it up enough ??what min he be doing incorrectly or possablly how can he rectify  this I've no experience of a scope doing this on my rifles but then I have only shot out to 200/300 yards any input he would grateful for thanks in advance

What distance, many scopes struggle to reach 500-600 yards, and only a handful can achieve 1000+.  Check with Vortex for and idea of achievable elevation.

There is a limited choice of adjustable mounts that may help, or of course the scope could just be faulty!

Edited by Dekers

Beat me to it. Just according to how much more he needs.  A few layers of insulation tape on the lower mount as often solved the problem for me. Or search around and make up a set of rings with the front one slightly lower than the back. I purchased a set once...no names no pack drill...but a well known manufacturer and they were just that ...drove me mad till I put the calipers on them.

1 hour ago, Cornish lad said:

Hi guys my friend would like to get into shooting longer ranges ,he shoots a ackly243 with a vortex viper scope on board on low mounts ,the problem he has got is he has just about run out of being able to dial his scope to bring it up enough ??what min he be doing incorrectly or possablly how can he rectify  this I've no experience of a scope doing this on my rifles but then I have only shot out to 200/300 yards any input he would grateful for thanks in advance

when you say long range , what distance is he trying to achieve?

what range is he currently getting out to ?

what model scope is it ?

what rifle is it ? 

barrel length ? 

what is the twist rate ?

has he fired it over a chronograph? 

Does he have any data for his loads ?

what bullet weight is he loading ?

just for starters ?

his .243 ACK IMP will most certainly get  him on the paper out to 1K , but he may  have to do a little bit of work .