At last, something worth reporting!

Well, it's been a while since I posted on here but I can assure you it's not through want of trying. I had a really bad winter on the rape with only handfuls of pigeons on each outing. A busy period working during March-June meant hardly any shooting but now I have a bit more time to get out and have had a few decent bags ( by my standards!) recently.

A couple of days ago I noticed the pigeons had found the bean stubble so set up on the brow of a hill in a large field under the only oak on the field. This gave a great opportunity to see the pigeons coming in and I set up the magnet with a dozen birds for decoys. Unfortunately, my lack of skill in decoy patterns meant the birds didn't really decoy well but slowed down enough as they had a look as they flew by and I had some great shooting at some birds and was pleased to make 30 on the day. Not a big number, but as I say, a good result by comparison to earlier outings.

So, the freezer is a little fuller and the pigeon pate for Christmas is all sorted.

Can't remember the last time I got near 30. Had 16 on bean stubble yesterday and 20 a week or so ago, nearly all the second bag were juveniles. So yes, 30 is a blinding score, well done. Not sure how long shooting over bean stubble will last as some beans are sprouting and re-growing after the rain.