Fast license turnaround - Staffs Police

Bede

I’ve just had my license application visit from my FEO. I only sent my license grant application in four weeks ago. 

He checked my cabinet, asked a few questions and fussed my dogs and said there’s not much on my application to worry about and my license will be with me in 7-10 days. 

Well chuffed with that - I was expecting 3-4 months

Need to sell the missus now so I can afford a shotgun! I opened up a secret ISA to hive some cash into away from her prying eyes, expecting to be saving for three-odd months to get a shotgun. Wasn’t expecting this kind of turnaround. Not that I’m complaining. 

My son sent in his renewal application in July, he has now had a letter informing him his renewal will not be processed before his current certificate expires in late October! It appears section seven temporary certificates are no longer issued? And the police advise they can authorise an exemption for gun owners to hold guns without a current certificate until they get around to renewing it?

The law says It's illegal to be in possession of a shotgun without a current certificate.....so I dunno where he will stand in other force areas, if stopped by the local plod and can't produce a current shotgun certificate? 

For those old enough it's a scenario worthy of a Brian Rix farce!

Edited by panoma1
Typo

6 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

My son sent in his renewal application in July, he has now had a letter informing him his renewal will not be processed before his current certificate expires in late October! It appears section seven temporary certificates are no longer issued? And the police advise they can authorise an exemption for gun owners to hold guns without a current certificate until they get around to renewing it?

The law says It's illegal to be in possession of a shotgun without a current certificate.....so I dunno where he will stand in other force areas, if stopped by the local plod and can't produce a current shotgun certificate? 

For those old enough it's a scenario worthy of a Brian Rix farce!

The overworked Firearms Licensing Teams making up the rules to their own agenda!

Awesome - I've been waiting a while now for mine down in Hampshire. I've been told that the wait here is quite long due to the size of the county etc. However, it's good to hear that you got yours sorted sooner rather than later. I'm in a similar situation - got a secret gun cash stash going that my girlfriend knows nothing about! Soon as that SGC drops (if it ever does) I'm straight off down the gun shop!

1 hour ago, Bede said:

I’ve just had my license application visit from my FEO. I only sent my license grant application in four weeks ago. 

He checked my cabinet, asked a few questions and fussed my dogs and said there’s not much on my application to worry about and my license will be with me in 7-10 days. 

Well chuffed with that - I was expecting 3-4 months

Need to sell the missus now so I can afford a shotgun! I opened up a secret ISA to hive some cash into away from her prying eyes, expecting to be saving for three-odd months to get a shotgun. Wasn’t expecting this kind of turnaround. Not that I’m complaining. 

Don't get too excited. I sent my ticket into Staffs for a simple variation at the beginning of July. FEO (police officer) came out on Friday to visit me and was gone in less than 15 minutes.

Will see how long it takes for the actual FAC to arrive.  

Well ****** me - I've received my license today.  4 1/2 weeks from sending in my application to receiving my license through the post.  My cheque stub is dated 26th July. How's that for service?

Thanks Staffs Police.

On 25/08/2018 at 14:44, Bede said:

Well ****** me - I've received my license today.  4 1/2 weeks from sending in my application to receiving my license through the post.  My cheque stub is dated 26th July. How's that for service?

Thanks Staffs Police.

Let’s hope it continues.i heard my feo has had an accident apparently .

56 minutes ago, Graham M said:

Yup, received mine yesterday. Not too bad; 6 weeks for a variation though.

Perhaps it was because I was asking for a devil weapon (pistol) 

Im on week.... I've lost count.. Avs are being slow with variations, I'll be lucky if its 12 weeks. Been without a bunny gun for too long now. 

I emailed Hants again just out of curiosity as it's been a fortnight since I last enquired. Same old reply - no idea when my application will get looked at, no idea when I'll hear something. I wonder if many people have lost interest in trying to take up the sport of shooting in the time it's taken to apply and be told whether or not they can have a licence.

3 hours ago, dazb1967 said:

When I applied for my Licence which I havnt had that long my Reference had a call the same day I handed it in, Northumbria police seem to be on the ball with licensing.

Thats good going. Ive been without my bunny gun for 8 weeks, and still now have to wait until I can drop into shop and pick up my new anschutz..