Geese

Salmo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Have plenty my way, what do they cook up like taste wise, if anything like Canada's l won't bother.

Soak them and it will remove the taste this includes Canada’s, soak in cider, buttermilk, brine what ever takes your fancy, the liquid will take on the muddy flavour so discard it and don’t use it to cook the meat with. 

9 hours ago, johnnytheboy said:

Soak them and it will remove the taste this includes Canada’s, soak in cider, buttermilk, brine what ever takes your fancy, the liquid will take on the muddy flavour so discard it and don’t use it to cook the meat with. 

When you say soak, how long for and which do you find gives the best flavour/taste.

Many thanks.

9 hours ago, johnnytheboy said:

good tip. 

Works with all game if you have someone who doesn't like a gamey flavour. 

6 minutes ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

When you say soak, how long for and which do you find gives the best flavour/taste.

Many thanks.

I just make a brine and soak overnight. 

Some people use milk, that works too.

3 minutes ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Like Figgy says any good recipes.

I don't really have recipes, 

remove any skin and fat, brine overnight...

if you mince it you can just make bolognese or chilli or lasagne etc as you normally would. 

Minced goose makes really nice burgers, i prefer just neat goose mince with a bit of seasoning, I have a mate who adds something like 15% minced belly pork. 

mixed with 20% pork, oatmeal and herbs and spices it makes good sausages. 

if you dice the leg/breast meat you can whack it in a slow cooker with red wine, tinned tomatoes, root veg, onion, leeks. bit of marmite. That makes a nice stew. 

I like whole roast goose... 

or you can roast a goose whole or use leftovers, remove the meat mix in a pan with some curry powder, mango chutney, chopped roast potatoes, slow cook it for a bit, mash some sweet potatoes, some orange zest and juice in the mash, put the goose mix in an oven dish and top with the mash and bake it like a shepherds pie. 

Lot of effort that one but it's worth it.  

Only ever shot grays & pinks so cant comment on  canada geese but cant see much difference. 

pan fried skinless breast lightly seasoned with salt  in a little in butter & olive oil for around 5-8 minutes each side place in a hot oven for another 10 minutes or so slice and serve with mashed sweet potato and a red berry sauce. You can brown the slices  back in the frying pan fro a couple of seconds

if you dont like your meat rare, almost like a steak.

Mince the breasts and have it anaway you like mince, burgers, meat balls, chilli, bolonagise etc etc

breasts cut into  finger thick strips and stir fry,  great  for mexician fajita  kit or  add your favorite  chinese  sauce.

Use your imagination I treat it like beef 

Nobody have mentioned the age of the goose , as a rule of thumb , the younger they are the better , if you get one that is nearing the end of life , you will need all the above recipes and a few more if can find them .

All in all , Canada's have a acquired taste , you either like them or you don't , and I wouldn't bother to shoot any more , and wouldn't eat another one even if somebody offered me good money to eat it .:no:  

Today have been very hot around our county and if today had been next week and somebody had a couple of geese hanging up I very much doubt they would have cooled off without sticking them in a fridge , you would then need a very understanding wife / girl friend when she get the milk out for her corn flakes and two nine pound honkers are staring her in the face .:lol:

11 hours ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Many thanks.

Just overnight usually, I like them soaked in cider and stuffed with Bradley apple sausage and wrapped in bacon, one good breast is good enough to feed two adults if you slice it like a roast. 

Jerky is a good way to deal with goose meat as you soak it in a wet jerky solution overnight that acts as a brine takes away the flavour and then makes really good jerky 

Just another tip that soaking duck, pheasant and partridge takes the bloodyness away from any pellet holes/meat damage that might put off anyone who is not 100% sure on game meat 

5 hours ago, WelshAndy said:

Mince it up... add pork fat... lovely meaty burgers ??

My my kids even eat them!

How much pork fat? I just bought a mincer

1 hour ago, Salmo said:

I’m in Scotland it will be blowing a gale and pouring  down , I got told with Canada’s cook for 4 hours , bury for 5 months then give it away 

I heard that to make Canadas tender you should cook them slowly for many hours using a housebrick as a trivet, when cooked sling the goose out for the cat..........and eat the brick!

The canada is undoubtedly the best eating of all the geese. I just don`t understand why some find it inedible. My wife must be an astonishingly good cook.

I sometimes think that we do ourselves no favours by fuelling the idea that canadas are inedible. It`s only a matter of time before the antis pick up on this and use the "fact" that we`re shooting quarry that we cannot eat, against us.

How about, if you find them unpalettable - don`t shoot them, and keep it to yourself.

17 minutes ago, mudpatten said:

The canada is undoubtedly the best eating of all the geese. I just don`t understand why some find it inedible. My wife must be an astonishingly good cook.

I sometimes think that we do ourselves no favours by fuelling the idea that canadas are inedible. It`s only a matter of time before the antis pick up on this and use the "fact" that we`re shooting quarry that we cannot eat, against us.

How about, if you find them unpalettable - don`t shoot them, and keep it to yourself.

I am not saying they are inedible , all I am saying they have an acquired taste and not every one will enjoy them and some will love them , it also depends on age , what they have been feeding on and the time of the year they are shot , which also apply to all wildfowl.

With not being able to sell them to the general public there are only fowlers and friends who can give an opinion on the taste , if I was asked by somebody if I could get one for them to try then I would have a reason to shoot one , failing that , my days of shooting Canada geese are now over .

Chacun a son gout ,  but a goose pie with Canada is much the same as any othermade with a grey goose if you can cook. I feel so sorry for those who do not fancy these wonderful wild meats but have to reduce them to nursery food by mincing with pork fat. Remarks about cooking them with bricks are simply absurd and, as mudpatten says, do us no favours. Similar tales are told about diving ducks, shovelers and so on. Very broadly speaking, wildfowl are best cooked fast and hot (e.g. flash fried teal breasts) or slow and gentle (e.g. slow cooked diced goose breasts finished as a pie with a flaky pastry crust).