Geese

Salmo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, WelshAndy said:

25-30% depending who they are for...

i add an egg, some onion powder, some garlic powder, and salt and pepper. 

I use beef fat from my local butcher for my burgers which are mostly a goose and pheasant mix. We have them on my shoot at lunch time, cooked on a gas BBQ. A good way to use up game that otherwise would not be taken by some of the guns.

19 hours ago, mudpatten said:

The canada is undoubtedly the best eating of all the geese. I just don`t understand why some find it inedible. My wife must be an astonishingly good cook.

I sometimes think that we do ourselves no favours by fuelling the idea that canadas are inedible. It`s only a matter of time before the antis pick up on this and use the "fact" that we`re shooting quarry that we cannot eat, against us.

How about, if you find them unpalettable - don`t shoot them, and keep it to yourself.

I`ve not had a bad one, perhaps it is people getting a bird that has been eating manky bread and all the other stuff tourists and young families chuck into rivers to "feed" them? I`ve had one bad pinky and that was probably one of the oldest I have ever seen, I casseroled it like I do any other old fowl or game bird but it was still hard to even get a knife into!

I had about 20 canadas over me this morning when walking the dog, which is unusual here until they get shifted off the estuaries.

9 hours ago, guzzicat said:

The road down to the bird house from Ar*****a crossroads?, seem to be more than normal? Am there first week in november. Is the gate down from the pink cottage still chained up? I contacted BASC about it (waste of time)

Was changed up last time I checked 

9 hours ago, Penelope said:

I use beef fat from my local butcher for my burgers which are mostly a goose and pheasant mix. We have them on my shoot at lunch time, cooked on a gas BBQ. A good way to use up game that otherwise would not be taken by some of the guns.

Up until last season all the unwanted game was chopped up into pieces and put into giant casserole stainless steel trays and mixed with whatever was available with a suet crust put on top for the main meal on a days shoot , this could be all types of deer , rabbit , hare , wildfowl , geese and we even had squirrel put in , when I say big trays , everybody who was involved in the days shoot would be entitled to a free cooked lunch and afters , number wise , it could be nine guns with the wives , girl friends and sometimes the kids , twelve beaters , head keeper , three picker ups and three drivers who drive the game cart , guns , and beaters .

I normally take a plastic lunch box in case there was some left over as the chef would normally dump it and he was only to pleased to let me have it , then it have been known that all the drink bottles are not completely empty when I clear the gun lorry out and put them in the bottle bank , but that's another story :lol:

16 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Up until last season all the unwanted game was chopped up into pieces and put into giant casserole stainless steel trays and mixed with whatever was available with a suet crust put on top for the main meal on a days shoot , this could be all types of deer , rabbit , hare , wildfowl , geese and we even had squirrel put in , when I say big trays , everybody who was involved in the days shoot would be entitled to a free cooked lunch and afters , number wise , it could be nine guns with the wives , girl friends and sometimes the kids , twelve beaters , head keeper , three picker ups and three drivers who drive the game cart , guns , and beaters .

I normally take a plastic lunch box in case there was some left over as the chef would normally dump it and he was only to pleased to let me have it , then it have been known that all the drink bottles are not completely empty when I clear the gun lorry out and put them in the bottle bank , but that's another story :lol:

Love the sound of that mate..

I breast out Greylags then cook as in Beef Bourguignon  [streaky bacon and red wine casserole] eat a such, or add pastry and make a proper pie, boil up legs for a bit of stock.  

9 minutes ago, islandgun said:

I breast out Greylags then cook as in Beef Bourguignon  [streaky bacon and red wine casserole] eat a such, or add pastry and make a proper pie, boil up legs for a bit of stock.  

I think that would go down well on a cold winters day in our log cabin where the guns have there lunch , we haven't got any electricity in the woods so they have to eat by candle light and the light from the log fire , all the contents of the main meal are marinated for while and to tell you the truth , you cant really tell what each mouthful is as it all taste the same , except some bits are tougher than other bits and with the bad light they cant tell what they are eating anyway .?

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

I think that would go down well on a cold winters day in our log cabin where the guns have there lunch , we haven't got any electricity in the woods so they have to eat by candle light and the light from the log fire , all the contents of the main meal are marinated for while and to tell you the truth , you cant really tell what each mouthful is as it all taste the same , except some bits are tougher than other bits and with the bad light they cant tell what they are eating anyway .?

Its good to chew.? stimulates the bacteria in your mouth and gut. this modern trend of washing down pureed food is just wrong...like the sound of your cabin in the woods. You may remember ive been flooding and planting a bit of land at the end of my croft where it joins the grazing next to  the saltings, well a few days ago i bought a 10x8 shed which im sticking in amongst the willows and im installing a very small woodburner, ive had a couple of broods of Mallard on the flooded bit and when i cut the longest of the grass the greylags will be feeding right up to the shed, so it will be great to watch..... well thats the plan

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Try roasting the carcass and use it for stock...? I confit the legs, better than cooking a whole fees and ready for when I feel like. I also use hearts, liver and stomach (cleaned) to make paté...it's a delicacy

5 minutes ago, Continental Shooter said:

Try roasting the carcass and use it for stock...? I confit the legs, better than cooking a whole fees and ready for when I feel like. I also use hearts, liver and stomach (cleaned) to make paté...it's a delicacy

Im very fond of pate... Ill send you my address...?

I agree that using the whole bird is the way to go and its something i will endeavour to do more of this season

14 hours ago, islandgun said:

Im very fond of pate... Ill send you my address...?

I agree that using the whole bird is the way to go and its something i will endeavour to do more of this season

Sorry mate, i'd love to send some down but there seldom is any leftover ?  I don't shoot too much - only what fits in the freezer- so, have always smallish portion for the house demand and most times i had to add in chicken bits to bulk up.  Hopefully once i finished my new shed i can bring in a couple more freezers ...

I also do a duck one which is great!

I grew up in the city but spent all my weekends and summers in the 'old fashion' Italian countryside with my great granparents; they went through 2 wars and really mastered the full usage of every bit of meat, bones, cartilages and veggie (or anything else really). 

So, we used to grow and butcher all our livestock (i bouth my first -and almost last- chicken when i moved up here... aged 25) and all parts had to serve their purposes; never waste anything (yes, we also used the pork oink ?)

20 hours ago, islandgun said:

Its good to chew.? stimulates the bacteria in your mouth and gut. this modern trend of washing down pureed food is just wrong...like the sound of your cabin in the woods. You may remember ive been flooding and planting a bit of land at the end of my croft where it joins the grazing next to  the saltings, well a few days ago i bought a 10x8 shed which im sticking in amongst the willows and im installing a very small woodburner, ive had a couple of broods of Mallard on the flooded bit and when i cut the longest of the grass the greylags will be feeding right up to the shed, so it will be great to watch..... well thats the plan

That sound very idyllic to me Islandgun , somewhere I would be quite content in spending most of my free time ( which is a fair ole bit ) sitting beside the wood burner on a winters day watching the Greylags out of the window while having a nice cup of tea . sheer bliss.

The next time I am in the woods where we have got the shooting lodge I will take some photos and send them on to you , then you can see how we rough it out ☺️

7 hours ago, Continental Shooter said:

Sorry mate, i'd love to send some down but there seldom is any leftover ?  I don't shoot too much - only what fits in the freezer- so, have always smallish portion for the house demand and most times i had to add in chicken bits to bulk up.  Hopefully once i finished my new shed i can bring in a couple more freezers ...

I also do a duck one which is great!

I grew up in the city but spent all my weekends and summers in the 'old fashion' Italian countryside with my great granparents; they went through 2 wars and really mastered the full usage of every bit of meat, bones, cartilages and veggie (or anything else really). 

So, we used to grow and butcher all our livestock (i bouth my first -and almost last- chicken when i moved up here... aged 25) and all parts had to serve their purposes; never waste anything (yes, we also used the pork oink ?)

Great way to grow up, proper Italian food, We grow sheep ducks and hens and im ashamed to say i spend as little time as possible probing about in the body cavity, even rabbits, if i have a lot to do i often cut behind the ribs and only use the loin and rear legs. You should come up and show me how its done

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

That sound very idyllic to me Islandgun , somewhere I would be quite content in spending most of my free time ( which is a fair ole bit ) sitting beside the wood burner on a winters day watching the Greylags out of the window while having a nice cup of tea . sheer bliss.

The next time I am in the woods where we have got the shooting lodge I will take some photos and send them on to you , then you can see how we rough it out ☺️

Brilliant MM I love a bit of Norfolk woodland, takes me back to my youth. Youll have to get yourself up here one day and we will have a good drop of single malt...?

22 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Brilliant MM I love a bit of Norfolk woodland, takes me back to my youth. Youll have to get yourself up here one day and we will have a good drop of single malt...?

I have only been to Scotland once , we went up as far as Inverness and ran out time to go any further as we were going to the C L A Game Fair on the Friday and Saturday at Crieff near Perth , the weeks holiday was brilliant , lovely scenery and very friendly people , dare I say it , more friendly than the folk from my county , mind you , we are friendly , we just take a bit longer weighing people up before we talk a load of ole squit :lol:

On 24/08/2018 at 20:17, islandgun said:

Great way to grow up, proper Italian food, We grow sheep ducks and hens and im ashamed to say i spend as little time as possible probing about in the body cavity, even rabbits, if i have a lot to do i often cut behind the ribs and only use the loin and rear legs. You should come up and show me how its done

Oh mate, i wish i could get a smallholding myself but have family commitments (my family in Italy) so, need to be quite central for when they get over to visit

It is a shame to throw away the offal of any animal; never mind those who people seek the most (ducks and geese livers); if you crown them it's a lot easier to pick and choose what you want (heart, liver, kidney and stomach would be the best; some use lungs as well).

I shall keep your offer in mind for when the wee man is ready to embark on a journey; we can leave the ladies home and make the trip west? 

On 28/08/2018 at 14:57, Continental Shooter said:

Oh mate, i wish i could get a smallholding myself but have family commitments (my family in Italy) so, need to be quite central for when they get over to visit

It is a shame to throw away the offal of any animal; never mind those who people seek the most (ducks and geese livers); if you crown them it's a lot easier to pick and choose what you want (heart, liver, kidney and stomach would be the best; some use lungs as well).

I shall keep your offer in mind for when the wee man is ready to embark on a journey; we can leave the ladies home and make the trip west? 

Your on

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 18:42, guzzicat said:

Contacted BASC last year , this was an adopted road from the end of WW", response was  " We have heard about this " done nowt but. never even found out who added lock, landowner or RSPB.

it was the landowner, farmer who has only relatively recently purchased the land and I hate to say it is from down south. My impression is that he has done it because he can and no one has told him he cannot. It is has stopped the problem of over night tourist camping and rubbish, and also of wildfowlers parking up in for several days in camper vans which he somehow saw as a problem although he certainly did not seem anti shooting.

7 hours ago, scolopax said:

it was the landowner, farmer who has only relatively recently purchased the land and I hate to say it is from down south. My impression is that he has done it because he can and no one has told him he cannot. It is has stopped the problem of over night tourist camping and rubbish, and also of wildfowlers parking up in for several days in camper vans which he somehow saw as a problem although he certainly did not seem anti shooting.

Spot on that , his Mrs is crackers she stopped me on several occasions, but we are on talking terms , I still walk down so do alot of others .

1 hour ago, shakin stevens said:

Spot on that , his Mrs is crackers she stopped me on several occasions, but we are on talking terms , I still walk down so do alot of others .

Anyone else contacted B.A.S.C. over this,This was a used road & right of way since WW2,?How about the other road on "his "land down to foreshore at Tarbat house?

Edited by guzzicat