Which Loaders Bag?

RDP

I'm looking for some insight from loaders on here. I need to get a bag and whilst there isn't a huge amount of choice, there is still some. 

Have you got any recommendations?

The main contenders so far are:

£50 bargain basement: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Leather-Loaders-Cartridge-Bag-With-Beautiful-Design-Attached-Brass-Buckles/253188920076?epid=893480659&hash=item3af33c530c:g:7S0AAOSwzrxUx~Ua 

£100 Unknown brand: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-Speedloader-Loaders-Cartridge-Bag-Antique-Chestnut-Ammo-Bag/222432285429?hash=item33c9ff52f5:g:B7IAAOSwTuJYwCSd

£250 Croots Byland. I'm leaning towards this as I know it will be a fantastic product: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Croots-Loaders-Bag-Byland-Leather-150-cartridge-capacity-Shooting-bags/202354276607?epid=1348440540&hash=item2f1d4138ff:g:JXEAAOSwivNbNfPF 

30 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I find it far easier to have two or three seperate bags rather than carry a really big one to every drive.

So you just keep say 75 shells in each smaller bag and rotate them out each drive? Assuming you're able to get back to the gun bus/cars between each drive?

I think i have the cheapy 1 shown, or atleast very similar and similar price.

Usually picking up on grouse so really only load when they're short so not had a lot of use. Althou it still needs dropped into the local  cobbler to get some stronger stiching done on the strap, but wot do u expect at the money.(usually lies in back of piick up so mibee damaged there? rather than loading)

How much loading do u do? Are u new to it or is it going to be a long term thing?

No doubt the croots would last a lifetime but also lot of cash if u don't really need it.

Thik i'd go for the cheap 1 first, put it in to a cobbler to get stiching strengthened before u even start, see how it goes u can always use it as a back up/spare if u ever buy a better 1.

But having a few cartridge bags is not a bad idea, might all depend on the shoot ur loading on and ammount of shells u'll need per drive

I cut the brass bottom+ 1/2" of spent cartridges and put it in the pouches on the front so shells stick up a bit more so easier grabbed.

Seen a few boys in the past on the grouse work with a home made chest piece? (dunno if they have a name) sort of a square board that sits over there chest and they have drilled 12g holes in it so the shells are all sitting proud on there chest (if i mind right its 2 bits of timber with holes drilled and strips of cardboard? sandwiched between them to hold shells in)

Been a while since i've seen 1

1 hour ago, scotslad said:

I think i have the cheapy 1 shown, or atleast very similar and similar price.

Usually picking up on grouse so really only load when they're short so not had a lot of use. Althou it still needs dropped into the local  cobbler to get some stronger stiching done on the strap, but wot do u expect at the money.(usually lies in back of piick up so mibee damaged there? rather than loading)

How much loading do u do? Are u new to it or is it going to be a long term thing?

No doubt the croots would last a lifetime but also lot of cash if u don't really need it.

Thik i'd go for the cheap 1 first, put it in to a cobbler to get stiching strengthened before u even start, see how it goes u can always use it as a back up/spare if u ever buy a better 1.

But having a few cartridge bags is not a bad idea, might all depend on the shoot ur loading on and ammount of shells u'll need per drive

I cut the brass bottom+ 1/2" of spent cartridges and put it in the pouches on the front so shells stick up a bit more so easier grabbed.

Seen a few boys in the past on the grouse work with a home made chest piece? (dunno if they have a name) sort of a square board that sits over there chest and they have drilled 12g holes in it so the shells are all sitting proud on there chest (if i mind right its 2 bits of timber with holes drilled and strips of cardboard? sandwiched between them to hold shells in)

Been a while since i've seen 1

Cheers for the feedback. Sounds like if I buy the cheap £50 one I will have to spend £25+ on getting it 'fit for purpose'. It would no longer be the bargain bag it was before!

Never thought of it like that, cobblers up my way are a good bit cheaper thou.

Plus i don't do enough loading to warrant the expensive 1.

If ur planning to do a lot the old saying buy right buy once will be just as true

Seen a few folk use the cut of cartridge casing even in better quality bags

6 hours ago, RDP said:

So you just keep say 75 shells in each smaller bag and rotate them out each drive? Assuming you're able to get back to the gun bus/cars between each drive?

Yes 75 or 100 in each bag, one over each shoulder and back to the motor after each drive.

14 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Buy one with a big enough opening for you to get your hand in and out with a few cartridges in it you’ll be surprised how many cartridge bags have too small a opening 

all the best 

of 

That cartridge bag of yours is fantastic nigel, I hadn't seen one as nice before,and I haven't seen one as nice since.

18 hours ago, salop sniper said:

Acorn Saddlery loaders bag is what I just bought. After asking on some pages on FB it got alot of votes and support so its what I went for !

https://www.acornsaddlery.co.uk/the-exmoor-shooting-range/fast-loading-exmoor-beast-cartridge-bag 

Very please with the quality etc and cheaper than Croots :good: 

I'd forgotten about that one! 

Did you go for the large (Beast) or the smaller size? The smaller one looks quite good. My only concern is that the flap just folds back rather than being on a hinged bar.

I like the fact that they have the additional apron you can attach to the front of both to increase the size.

10 hours ago, RDP said:

I'd forgotten about that one! 

Did you go for the large (Beast) or the smaller size? The smaller one looks quite good. My only concern is that the flap just folds back rather than being on a hinged bar.

I like the fact that they have the additional apron you can attach to the front of both to increase the size.

It really depends on the number of cartridges your gun is likely to fire during a drive. You certainly don't want to have to top up the bag during a drive, which is why I prefer and use the large Acorn one and carry a slab just in case !

As Charlie says, I went for the bigger bag and plan to be filling it to the brim and carrying a second bag to top up from. A mate who I plan to load this year with said last year he was on peg with a gun who shot the most cartridges on a drive that he has ever known of at 370 something. :crazy: He was glad he had a second bag of additional cartridges ! I plan to get the additional apron too. 

I know what you mean about the hinge but I don`t think it will be an issue, Time will tell but I have no real concerns about it just yet :good:

On 24/08/2018 at 10:41, salop sniper said:

As Charlie says, I went for the bigger bag and plan to be filling it to the brim and carrying a second bag to top up from. A mate who I plan to load this year with said last year he was on peg with a gun who shot the most cartridges on a drive that he has ever known of at 370 something. :crazy: He was glad he had a second bag of additional cartridges ! I plan to get the additional apron too. 

I know what you mean about the hinge but I don`t think it will be an issue, Time will tell but I have no real concerns about it just yet :good:

370 on a single drive?! I bet the game keeper loved that chap for ensuring the shot count was hit ha ha

I ended up browsing eBay last night and found the Croots Byland for £239, which is about £20 cheaper than other sellers. Also, eBay had a flash 10% sale so I ended up getting it for £215. Quite pleased with that.

Will be taking an additional bag (non loader) for surplus cartridges depending on the size of the day!