Digital safe repair

Lloyd90

I was given a digital safe on the weekend, which is handy as wanted one for ammo to go next to the gun cabinets.

It works lovely with the key, however it appears the previous owner left 4 AA batteries inside it, and they are rusty as hell. I took them out and cleaned out the battery area, unfortunately the springs on either side are non-existent and new batteries just fall out as there is no pressure and they're not even touching.

Will leaving those batteries in it have knackered the electronics, or if I get some metal springs or a bit of foil even might it start up? Thought' I'd ask before burning my thumbs lol

7 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

Worth a shot, I have revived such things before. 

A good bit of contact cleaner and potentially a look to resolder some connections may also may also be required. 

Now that sounds like it, I wondered if you could just buy a replacement "socket" sort of bit that the batteries sit in, and just connect it up? Its a "GRAFTER Electronic Digital Safe" 

Edited by Lloyd90

We use these safes at work for vehicle keys and find the drivers slam the doors so hard the batteries launch out the rear of the battery box. Solution, cheap battery holder off fleabay and a short length of twin core speaker wire. Double sided tape it to the roof of the safe extend the wiring off the board to the new power supply. Job done.

Word of warning though, these safes are the frighteningly easy to break into. And offer nothing more than the slightest of deterrents to a would be thief.

13 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Does it look like this - if so amazon is your friend4aa.jpg.5fa3b455be124c5aee3b4eb9e7a689bd.jpg

No its one where the batteries lie sideways across the door. 

10 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Take it down the tip, a new digital safes is cheap as chips have a look in Argos or EBay 

I was going to buy one, but its a big size and was given to me for nout, so if the batteries don't work I;ll just use it with the key as its too good to waste! 

16 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Does it look like this - if so amazon is your friend4aa.jpg.5fa3b455be124c5aee3b4eb9e7a689bd.jpg

Pretty sure its the same as this one https://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/10009748/4_AA_Battery_Holder_for_Safe_SBH_342.html 

Now l used to build safes and strong room equipment for a very well known company and never would anyone with half a brain put a battery operated locking system into a safe of any value.

A key cannot run out of power, corrode or forget it's numerical unlocking system.

They are a gimmick and nothing else, rip out the battery system and use the key, you know it makes sense.

Or if you really need to impress your friends get a 5 or 7 or 9 wheel combination lock, now they are the dogs, just don't forget your numbers. ?