Closing a gun.

manthing

17 hours ago, Scully said:

I’ve said it before and it’s worth saying again....forget about your safety catch; muzzle awareness is EVERYTHING! Despite what anyone says, there will come a time on a driven shoot when you have guns to either side of you, beaters in front and pickers up behind, with birds coming over you thick and fast. Do what you think best, but keep your finger off that trigger til you’re ready to shoot. 

Or, as others have said....buy an auto. Problem solved. 🙂

This is the best post I've read on here. I totally disagree with the 'safety' catch being called that. It does not stop the gun firing, it only stops the trigger being pulled (unless you have a more sophisticated mechanism like the Blaser has).

If your muzzles are pointing to a safe point then it doesn't matter which way you close the gun. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Diss4111 said:

This is the best post I've read on here. I totally disagree with the 'safety' catch being called that. It does not stop the gun firing, it only stops the trigger being pulled (unless you have a more sophisticated mechanism like the Blaser has).

If your muzzles are pointing to a safe point then it doesn't matter which way you close the gun. 

It is highly possible that 'the trigger being pulled' was the cause of this incident.

46 minutes ago, Westley said:

It is highly possible that 'the trigger being pulled' was the cause of this incident.

Anyone who relies on a safety catch to prevent them shooting anyone, is a danger to everyone, including themselves. I never ever use a safety catch on any of my guns, and only own one which is auto safety.....it is a pain in the bum. 

59 minutes ago, Westley said:

👍

Whatever caused the accident had nothing to do with how he "closed" the gun (well unless he really did load then point the barrels at his left foot while bringing the stock up to close it and then pulled the trigger !), what's likely to have happened is he chose to hold the closed gun by his side with the barrels pointing vertically downwards and the trigger got caught in something such as a side zip and the gun fired. I have known this to happen with hair trigger air guns but thankfully the barrels were nowhere near any extremities. 

Edited by Hamster