stalking BBC

islandgun

Some could argue it’s merely a matter of semantics; in the process of culling, deer are killed. It won’t impress those who don’t agree with what we do. Elephants and lions etc are culled in some places, and look how well that goes down

The reasons for culling are both logical and ethical, ( look what happened to the LACS when their their refusal to accept this backfired on them ) and for those reasons it’s worthy, but I’m not convinced culling as opposed to killing will change anything.

51 minutes ago, Scully said:

Some could argue it’s merely a matter of semantics; in the process of culling, deer are killed. It won’t impress those who don’t agree with what we do. Elephants and lions etc are culled in some places, and look how well that goes down

The reasons for culling are both logical and ethical, ( look what happened to the LACS when their their refusal to accept this backfired on them ) and for those reasons it’s worthy, but I’m not convinced culling as opposed to killing will change anything.

Indeed, there is only a two letter difference.

3 hours ago, islandgun said:

It would be good to feature the good work of  pest/vermin control i.e grey squirrel and mink etc, especially those carried out on behalf of conservation groups like RSPB,  English nature, SNH

There is 2 problems with ur idea,

Most of those bodies wouldn't like to openly publicly admit they do it or atleast advetise the fact (just been a big fall out with rspb been caught controlliing vermin on there ground, members leaving which means less cash, which is wot there all about.)

And 2, the may many of these 'conservation charities' (can add John Muir Trust and NTS to the list) treat red deer in scotland is absolutley shocking, no consideration for the deer or there nieghbours or local employment/econmy.

24 minutes ago, scotslad said:

There is 2 problems with ur idea,

Most of those bodies wouldn't like to openly publicly admit they do it or atleast advetise the fact (just been a big fall out with rspb been caught controlliing vermin on there ground, members leaving which means less cash, which is wot there all about.)

And 2, the may many of these 'conservation charities' (can add John Muir Trust and NTS to the list) treat red deer in scotland is absolutley shocking, no consideration for the deer or there nieghbours or local employment/econmy.

Which is what we were talking about in another thread, its alright for these organisations to decry shooting but who is publishing their bad behaviour .basc, countryside alliance, seem to write stiff letters to the times but thats about it [ i would be happy to hear the contrary]

Aye ur totally right some of our orgs should be standing up to them and in an ideal world these bodies would be entirely open about wot there getting up to anyway

Must admit i enjoyed the program but that would be 1 of my tiny critism's possibly he could of mentioned some of the other things going on in the deer sector, the things is is the toffs/landowners/stalkers were behaving the way many of these orgs do the tabloids would be all over it.

But that is getting more political and not really about his day to day life, plusmibee go over the heads of a lot of folk watching if they have no knowledge of deer or even upland scotland. Only so much u can do in 30mins

Surprising even how few shooting/stalking men know wots going on with some of these bodies how they behave and treat deer which are ofen private enemy No1.

Edited by scotslad

Again it has to be said; if you're not happy with anything the likes of the RSPB, RSPCA, English Nature, the BBC etc etc are doing or not doing, then instead of leaving it to your organisation to 'do something', there is absolutely nothing stopping anyone from 'doing something' for themselves. People are very quick to post on here to complain, but I'm afraid you're complaining to the wrong people. 

12 minutes ago, Scully said:

Again it has to be said; if you're not happy with anything the likes of the RSPB, RSPCA, English Nature, the BBC etc etc are doing or not doing, then instead of leaving it to your organisation to 'do something', there is absolutely nothing stopping anyone from 'doing something' for themselves. People are very quick to post on here to complain, but I'm afraid you're complaining to the wrong people. 

I presume this is aimed at me, It was a comment not a complaint, pro shooting/country organisations could be much more pro active at getting the point across. as I said in a previous thread it was quite easy to get TV coverage. A project i was involved in managed to appear three times on the Scottish Landward programme. not much but a start. conservation organisations can do it so should ours,  i would appreciate any helpful tips you might have regarding getting our point across perhaps as a whole rather than individuals ! 

6 hours ago, islandgun said:

Which is what we were talking about in another thread, its alright for these organisations to decry shooting but who is publishing their bad behaviour .basc, countryside alliance, seem to write stiff letters to the times but thats about it [ i would be happy to hear the contrary]

Where is the other thread please?

a pleasure to see something factual on tv his son being 15 may not have the experience therefore not taken the shot on camera as a lot of pressure on a young person to make a perfect kill shot  first time on camera imagine the disaster if he pulled the shot and everyone seen the bambi  run off with a broken shoulder to be tracked down and dispatched later   his dad made a clean kill shot which proved to joe public the animal did not suffer strangely they  showed the animal going down a clean shot more programs like this need to be shown to educate the  un educated who do not know or understand where their chicken nuggets fish fingers  come from   as a nation fed from  supermarkets everything is sanitised more programs like kill it cook it eat it etc shame more informative and educational  programs like this are not shown    as the masses prefer love island big brother x factor etc etc  etc soaps     this is a start keep factual programs coming    why do  field sports Britain getting slots to air their programs weekly 

6 hours ago, Saltings said:

a pleasure to see something factual on tv his son being 15 may not have the experience therefore not taken the shot on camera as a lot of pressure on a young person to make a perfect kill shot  first time on camera imagine the disaster if he pulled the shot and everyone seen the bambi  run off with a broken shoulder to be tracked down and dispatched later   his dad made a clean kill shot which proved to joe public the animal did not suffer strangely they  showed the animal going down a clean shot more programs like this need to be shown to educate the  un educated who do not know or understand where their chicken nuggets fish fingers  come from   as a nation fed from  supermarkets everything is sanitised more programs like kill it cook it eat it etc shame more informative and educational  programs like this are not shown    as the masses prefer love island big brother x factor etc etc  etc soaps     this is a start keep factual programs coming    why do  field sports Britain getting slots to air their programs weekly 

:good:

10 hours ago, islandgun said:

I presume this is aimed at me, It was a comment not a complaint, pro shooting/country organisations could be much more pro active at getting the point across. as I said in a previous thread it was quite easy to get TV coverage. A project i was involved in managed to appear three times on the Scottish Landward programme. not much but a start. conservation organisations can do it so should ours,  i would appreciate any helpful tips you might have regarding getting our point across perhaps as a whole rather than individuals ! 

No, not aimed at you specifically, but all in general who take the time to come in here to complain ( which is fair enough) but who won’t complain to those whom they have the beef with. And yes, to those whom reckon our representative bodies should be complaining, you’re right, they should be, especially BASC with its purpose built media centre many of us paid for. But it’s so easy to claim that then sit back and do nowt; I have mates who do this all the time. They won’t wven complain to their shooting organisation! 

If you're not happy then complain; write to the letters page of your local  press about misleading articles or statements published by those who have an agenda biased towards the monetary gain of themselves, gained upon the detriment of us shooters. The Panorama programme was a startling piece of misleading propaganda which could have a very detrimental effect on those who collect antique firearms, but the potential to indirectly effect reloaders. I wonder how many have complained? 

54 minutes ago, Scully said:

No, not aimed at you specifically, but all in general who take the time to come in here to complain ( which is fair enough) but who won’t complain to those whom they have the beef with. And yes, to those whom reckon our representative bodies should be complaining, you’re right, they should be, especially BASC with its purpose built media centre many of us paid for. But it’s so easy to claim that then sit back and do nowt; I have mates who do this all the time. They won’t wven complain to their shooting organisation! 

If you're not happy then complain; write to the letters page of your local  press about misleading articles or statements published by those who have an agenda biased towards the monetary gain of themselves, gained upon the detriment of us shooters. The Panorama programme was a startling piece of misleading propaganda which could have a very detrimental effect on those who collect antique firearms, but the potential to indirectly effect reloaders. I wonder how many have complained? 

I agree completely it is easy to blame but a lot harder to do something, I despair listening to vegans and birdwatchers or vegan birdwatchers telling the gullible, lies on tv or radio, whilst the shooting community walk away shaking their heads. I was thinking that perhaps small local organisations like those actively involved in reducing grey squirrel numbers should approach their local tv or radio stations and tell it like it is, as said, the local media appear to want information even a bit provocative, I have very limited knowledge of the rest of Britain so if your group appeared on TV last night my apologies 

Radio perhap....

Being involved in a Grey Squirrel scheme the last thing I'd want to see on TV is a head shot squirrel and the accompanying acrobatics.

Dead as they are, such a sight would be without doubt misconstrued and be very counter productive.

Edited by Robertt

30 minutes ago, Robertt said:

Radio perhap....

Being involved in a Grey Squirrel scheme the last thing I'd want to see on TV is a head shot squirrel and the accompanying acrobatics.

Dead as they are, such a sight would be without doubt misconstrued and be very counter productive.

agreed