Shotgun certificate renewal

jay404

Hi already completed my shotgun renewal process and Lincolnshire have turned it around in a couple of weeks (thank god)

I am unsure now I have my new certificate and that’s now in date, should I return my old certificate with a covering letter or should I keep for my records? 

I read some where about it being sent back but cannot find that again.

any body know the answer? 

Can I ask - what happens when you get your certificate for the first time? Do they ring you to tell you/email you? Or does it literally just turn up in the post one day? I've been waiting for what seems like a lifetime now and it's getting a bit ridiculous. I don't want to keep bugging the firearms dept at the police station, I'm just curious is all.

17 minutes ago, Tomleecee said:

Can I ask - what happens when you get your certificate for the first time? Do they ring you to tell you/email you? Or does it literally just turn up in the post one day? I've been waiting for what seems like a lifetime now and it's getting a bit ridiculous. I don't want to keep bugging the firearms dept at the police station, I'm just curious is all.

It will just drop through letter box, but it does take time my renewal 16wks 

14 minutes ago, Lord v said:

If they have already checked security then it will probably just turn up in the post. 

How long have you been waiting? 

I just worked it out - it's about 11 weeks now. I guess it's not too bad considering some other waiting times I've seen on here. I've emailed a couple of times asking for any kind of update but I just get a reply saying there's nothing to tell me. It's the open endedness of the waiting that's the main annoyance I suppose. Could be today, another week, could be another 6-9 months. Who knows...

1 hour ago, Tomleecee said:

I just worked it out - it's about 11 weeks now. I guess it's not too bad considering some other waiting times I've seen on here. I've emailed a couple of times asking for any kind of update but I just get a reply saying there's nothing to tell me. It's the open endedness of the waiting that's the main annoyance I suppose. Could be today, another week, could be another 6-9 months. Who knows...

Tom

Just had a quick look on Hampshire firearms website and they are suggesting grant of SGC is 12 weeks. I would expect your ticket in the next week or so. Not long to wait now.

49 minutes ago, Lord v said:

It doesn't really help, but 12 weeks is about average. 

What force are you in? BASC recently updated their table of doom (wait periods for grants and renewals) 

"Table of doom" haha!

1 minute ago, Jbob said:

Tom

Just had a quick look on Hampshire firearms website and they are suggesting grant of SGC is 12 weeks. I would expect your ticket in the next week or so. Not long to wait now.

Yes, Hampshire. I know that website all too well. I have that SLA table burned into my retinas, although I have heard that sometimes they turn these things around a bit quicker than 12 weeks. I'm only being impatient because if I want to go clay shooting without my own gun (only option at the moment), the closest place to me charges £80 for a session with 50 cartridges and it gets expensive even if you only  go a couple of times a month.