Series 2a

ShootingEgg

10 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Jesus nothing like over reacting to one part of it have a **** poor historic repair :lol::lol:

I have run nothing but Land Rovers since I could first afford one in 1976, and I would not dream of repairing that chassis! Even the side where you can see the bolts is very badly rusted.  

Not being funny or awkward, but The Titanic is in better nick than that chassis. (Sorry!)

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

@la bala annoying thing is the hanger isn't in that bad a condition as I've sanded it back to re paint, just some previous owner has filled that area with plop... Almost need to chip away at it. To get to the screws 

The actual hanger wont be as bad, its thicker metal. Its the rest of it will let you down. Fix now or pay later.:yes:

17 minutes ago, la bala said:

The actual hanger wont be as bad, its thicker metal. Its the rest of it will let you down. Fix now or pay later.:yes:

Yeah just another job to add to the list.. Haha

22 minutes ago, London Best said:

I have run nothing but Land Rovers since I could first afford one in 1976, and I would not dream of repairing that chassis! Even the side where you can see the bolts is very badly rusted.  

Not being funny or awkward, but The Titanic is in better nick than that chassis. (Sorry!)

It's all okay, was only messing, I know there is alot of work to do on it, been neglaected. Just time and space is not my friend 

Also that's one piece that you can see and you think the rest is shot to? They are probably the most exposed parts at the front so I'd imagine them to be ginger 

Edited by ShootingEgg

Once had to pull a 88” out of a bog, well stuck. Vehicle all tarted up, lift kit,  underbody protection, big hairy tyres, snorkel, every accessory in the magazines, you know the sort, looked really good. One good snatch freed him from the hole but ripped his front chassis straight off on the driver’s side. I have to say that, on inspection his dumb irons looked in far better condition than yours. What really scares me is, that guy and many others are driving about on the roads with vehicles like that. I believe in doing the job properly.

3 hours ago, figgy said:

Never understood why all the steel parts were not galvanized.

Cost and it was the 60's :lol:

3 hours ago, London Best said:

Once had to pull a 88” out of a bog, well stuck. Vehicle all tarted up, lift kit,  underbody protection, big hairy tyres, snorkel, every accessory in the magazines, you know the sort, looked really good. One good snatch freed him from the hole but ripped his front chassis straight off on the driver’s side. I have to say that, on inspection his dumb irons looked in far better condition than yours. What really scares me is, that guy and many others are driving about on the roads with vehicles like that. I believe in doing the job properly.

Never said I'd not do the job properly though. Appreciate your advice and knowledge too. This is very much a project that I have bought and fully intend on doing a sound job as want it to last me a long time and potentially hand it down to the sprog if and when I get round to making one of them 

47 minutes ago, ditchman said:

my old 90 TD is out hunting on the somerset levels now

It has a great home then, I'm just north of the levels.. Lovely countryside for the 90 to play in

1 hour ago, London Best said:

I wish you good luck and every success. Best advice is don’t bodge, do the best you can. Also, I find it almost always pays to use genuine parts. Some pattern stuff can be very disappointing. Having rebuilt a few I will now only use genuine parts on my Land Rovers.

Biggest issue I have is the bodged done by the previous owners.. 

Hi Ditchman  

Sorry this is a bit of a Hijack

what model Swift did you get? 

Have you any idea what you plan to do with it?

I've got  a 15 plate 5 door 1.3 on a good deal when they were offering 0% finance to get them out the door.

Very pleased with it,  nearly 60k on the clock with family 35 miles away down M20. Getting around 50mpg overall

no issues apart from the clock running slow!  I've kept the Continentals on as they seem good value for mileage and grip.

Coincidentally, my sister got an older model and she too is very pleased with hers

best regards

Gdadphil 

20 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

He's in the shed fettling the turbo as we type!

not guilty.........only replaced the switch gear for the pas' window

21 hours ago, gdadphil said:

Hi Ditchman  

Sorry this is a bit of a Hijack

what model Swift did you get? 

Have you any idea what you plan to do with it?

I've got  a 15 plate 5 door 1.3 on a good deal when they were offering 0% finance to get them out the door.

Very pleased with it,  nearly 60k on the clock with family 35 miles away down M20. Getting around 50mpg overall

no issues apart from the clock running slow!  I've kept the Continentals on as they seem good value for mileage and grip.

Coincidentally, my sister got an older model and she too is very pleased with hers

best regards

Gdadphil 

got the basic model 1300 GL.........2008 52,000 miles   not a scratch on it........its a real no brainer.......the colour is a bit gay ...ocean green...but i warm to it every day...

• 4 weeks later...