sgc rip off

hawkfanz

my mates sgc is up for renewal,spoke to him today and we are with merseyside police,who have a already stated they wont issue new or renewals without letter from doctor,he has to pay his doctor £100 for the letter or no ticket,,,,that thats takin the xxxx.

Edited by hawkfanz

This whole subject needs either a shooting association or an individual with plenty of cash to mount a legal challenge.

Otherwise we will all be waiting on greedy doctors who see the chance of an extra few quid for stating you are not a threat to the general public.

27 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

ive got 3 years to run on my sgc,but i declared ive got prostate cancer,an i get badgered by a fone call from time to time checking on my medical condition.i think they,re just lookin for ways to refuse certs.

Why would you declare it? Is prostrate cancer one of the conditions specified as reportable in a SGC application? If so why? How does this condition make you unsuitable to hold a SGC?

christ this regular topic really hacks me off.................it astounds me how things differ all over the country..........i had a similar problem 2 years ago when i renewed mine....i phoned the firearms dept at the local bill Wymondham....spoke to the lady on the desk and she told me in no uncertain terms the doc was totally out of order....i sent my certificate and money off ...4 days later i got the new one...........

i really feel for the guys and gals who go thro all of this stupid money grabbing polarva............in over areas...

best of luck to your mate

8 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

yes it says so on the application forms,they even wanted copies of my prescriptions,tho none are for any type of depression.it says all medical conditions must be declared even cancer.

So these SGC application forms are not generic? I thought they were? Issued by the Home Office in compliance with current firearm legislation?....My recent SGC renewal application did not ask for such detailed medical information, it merely asked if I had currently or had ever suffered from the specific conditions listed.....in fact my sons application is currently being processed, and that has similar disclosure requirements to mine!

Contact BASC and enquire whether the police are exceeding their powers by demanding such in depth, personal information on your health! This sounds like an illegitimate and unneccesary invasion of your privacy to me! Rather than information required to ensure, as far as practicable, public safety!

Well, well, well! According to the Mail on Sunday, GP's surgeries have 3.6 million "ghost patients" on their books that they are claiming for, which according to a member of the governments public accounts committee equates to some £550,000,000 (yes £550 million!)..........that they are screwing out of the NHS budget!!!.......With health tourism, now this..........no wonder our National Health Service is financially collapsing!

And they theiving ******** still want to screw a few more quid out of gun owners!

On 24/08/2018 at 09:53, hawkfanz said:

yes it says so on the application forms,they even wanted copies of my prescriptions,tho none are for any type of depression.it says all medical conditions must be declared even cancer.

As I thought.......In guidance note number 5 of Government Form 201 (Application for grant or renewal of SGC/FAC) it gives a list of relevant medical conditions you are required to disclose, and cancer is not amongst them!.....if the local police demand you to disclose ALL your medical conditions and provide copies of your prescriptions they are acting Ultra Vires.......

If you are in BASC, I suggest you ring them for advice!

The statement on the home page of Merseyside Police makes interesting reading, I also see they have put a link to the GP’s letter on the same page, but I can see no reference to Cancer being one of the relevant notification issues, or I may have missed it?......https://www.merseyside.police.uk/about-us/our-services/firearms-and-explosive-department/medical-information/

The bottom paragraph on their medical information page states…

In the event that a GP refuses to provide a letter you can request a copy of your medical records under Section 3 of the Access to Health Records Act 1990 from the person or body holding them.

Are the Police saying they will accept these records as proof ?

Edited by old'un