Plasterers...HELP PLEASE!

Dekers

Ok, I've just knocked off the sharp long drops on my bathroom ceiling aertex in preparation for skimming smooth and noticed an awful lot of the paint seems loose and pretty

easy to peel.

015.jpg.85c13a57fdab3162551115b6ad35b01a.jpg

I really don't know it this is some sort of bathroom paint or silk type emulsion, but I get the impression that it was never applied properly from new, either still damp aertex or no sealer/mist coat or probably both!

Will PVA (even a couple of well thinned coats) solve this, or is there another sealer that I will need, or do I have to spend days trying to get the paint off? 

Cheers

Edited by Dekers

1986 is pretty likely to have asbestos.

In any case the best solution is probably to over-board if it's possible.

Least mess, No asbestos to worry about and quicker and easier to skim.

Whatever you put on top of a peeling surface will only adhere to that surface and end up on the floor.

Edd

Anything pre 2000 and some after contains asbestos .....we now ONLY board over no scraping and skimimg over.....

On bright side saves worrying about skim onto artex onto paint thats peeling......for which there is no cure other than overboarding..........no matter what anyone else tells you on here.....!!!! 

Crumbs, I've learnt something there, for whatever reason I thought Asbestos went around 1986.

Well, I've been peeling paint with a scraper and certainly dislodged Aertex at the same time, was the asbestos in Aertex or plaster or both?

Either time to stop, or get some serious PPE and extractors I guess!

The only option to remove the flaking would be to scrub it with a good hard brush before applying either Thistle Bond-it or Febond Blue Grit, prior to skimming, but, as others have said, ( and I have no idea when asbestos ceased to be added to products ) if there is indeed asbestos involved, then reboard and skim. It's not that easy to tell from the pic's, but I'd seek professional advice regarding the confirmation of the presence of asbestos.  

4 minutes ago, JBS said:

just overboard and skim, it’s the easiest method and best end result, I’ve overskimmed tons of this stuff and although possible it’s always a ball ache! Only ever lost one ceiling and that was due to distemper

hello, i would go for this as just had 2 ceilings done in my sons flat, 1960s building, i always thought asbestos was banned after 1990 thats why the building inspector recommended

900x1800x13 mm boards are around £5 each from Magnet. Obviously a tad more from Diy stores. That size is easily manageable  depending on ceiling height and a one man job. Box of 45mm screws and a Stanley knife and away you go. Asbestos hidden and sealed.  Simples.

hi dekers, blue and brown asbestos were banned in '85, white or crysotile was banned in 1999/2000. it's not as dangerous as the blue and brown as they have a different structure, but it can still do you some damage. luckily the white asbestos isn't hydrophobic and it can be dampened down to help clean it up, the only problem is now you've de nibbed the ceiling it's probably all through your house.

18 hours ago, Paddy Galore! said:

hi dekers, blue and brown asbestos were banned in '85, white or crysotile was banned in 1999/2000. it's not as dangerous as the blue and brown as they have a different structure, but it can still do you some damage. luckily the white asbestos isn't hydrophobic and it can be dampened down to help clean it up, the only problem is now you've de nibbed the ceiling it's probably all through your house.

Oh dear...thanks!