Non lead cartridges chrono results

johnnytheboy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 26/08/2018 at 09:09, johnnytheboy said:

My problem is I don’t have a 20b ? but I think the kids will need a gun so I’ll start them on a 410 and as they get bigger work towards a 20b, is there any 20b cartridges you would like to see chronoed? 

ah, fair enough.  wasn't looking for any particular shell, just to get an idea of what can be had and how they perform; got plenty ITX i'd like to speed test and i'm just starting reloading my own; but always useful to know what's available in case i run out of components.

if your set up ain't too far i can come round with my 20s i sometimes shoot at the National Shooting Centre up your way

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

I patterned my hatsan recently with 35g fiocchi steel 3.9mm shells and at 25 paces And I found cylinder the most impressive when shooting at a bit of fibre board. I tried 1/4 and 1/2 choke and at the same range and I feel comfortable  shooting them at I think I will stick with cylinder. I have tried various combinations of B.B., no 1 and no 2 and I think it’s possible to change choke, pellet size and load and still find blown patterns.  What makes me laugh is my 12yr old day n sums  it up simply as” I just point at them and pull the trigger. “Ah the confidence of youth.  I Have a basic question which I’ve never seen posted however “do you use less lead if you are using a tighter choke?” It’s something I saw on YouTube that made me wonder whether that’s even possible as subconsciously I think most swing and shoot.

7 hours ago, Charlie Anderson said:

I patterned my hatsan recently with 35g fiocchi steel 3.9mm shells and at 25 paces And I found cylinder the most impressive when shooting at a bit of fibre board. I tried 1/4 and 1/2 choke and at the same range and I feel comfortable  shooting them at I think I will stick with cylinder. I have tried various combinations of B.B., no 1 and no 2 and I think it’s possible to change choke, pellet size and load and still find blown patterns.  What makes me laugh is my 12yr old day n sums  it up simply as” I just point at them and pull the trigger. “Ah the confidence of youth.  I Have a basic question which I’ve never seen posted however “do you use less lead if you are using a tighter choke?” It’s something I saw on YouTube that made me wonder whether that’s even possible as subconsciously I think most swing and shoot.

The lead is the same, regardless of choke.

On 30/08/2018 at 20:07, Gerry78 said:

To much obsession about ballistics with shotgun cartridges A descent brand of shell for the species your shooting AIMED AT THE RIGHT PLACE will do the trick Wildfowlers always looking the HOLY GRAIL of a cartridge

I tend to agree with your statement , I leave the testing to the people who produce and sells the cartridges and just get on with it , with some people , there skill with a shotgun is there disadvantage rather than the cartridge fault .