Video Request - Crowning a pigeon

pin

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did two, the first one I persuaded her to hold the camera. She's a veggie too :) Well, she did hold the camera but when the smell of the crop opened she looked away and the camera points at the floor for 30 seconds, she realises and moves it back until I split it open and then its back pointing at the floor :good:

I put it on the tripod, those don't get squeamish.

Good video looks easy, Just need to get some of the little ******* :lol: By the way bet the wife is happy you doing that in the house :good:

Once you've practiced it a few times, you can do it "blindfolded" so to speak. When I do them I can stick the bird and my hands into the bin bag and do it there and just pull out the crown. Never heard it call by this method always knew it as the crab method as it is simmial to cracking a crab.

Nice vid though Pin, am at work at the moment so will have to listen to the comantary when I get home later tonight.

Cheers

Trev.

Cracking vid there pin like the tripod story :lol: now if only rabbits were that easy , i tried pigeon breast at a bbq at stead hall rifle club for the first time the other week and loved it not normally a pigeon shooter but now i know why you lot do it i wanna go any 1 in west yorks wanna show me :good:

Cracking vid there pin like the tripod story :lol: now if only rabbits were that easy , i tried pigeon breast at a bbq at stead hall rifle club for the first time the other week and loved it not normally a pigeon shooter but now i know why you lot do it i wanna go any 1 in west yorks wanna show me :good:

Doing a easy rabbit one next, paunching, legging/hocking then skinning and prep (scent glands / jointing / other bits)

But this time I won't be wheezing and I will do under better light :lol:

Very good mate :blush: Next pigeon i get ill give ago.

go back to the latest pictures i posted, the ones i crowned were done the other way, i done it the same as you but instead of putting my thumb in the hole i gripped the 2 legs and pulled, this would seperate the pigeon in 2 halfs. the breast would still be attached to the top half of the body, then i would just cut through the neck and pull out the breast.

Your way seems alot easier though :P

Were you doing this all in the comfort of your living room?:good:

Finally got to watch it with sound, great comentary Pin, just one thing I might add, that is to watch out that the heart sometimes get left on the inside of the breast bone.

Gully,

Advantage is no need for any knives so can be done any where.

If I (the missus) is doing pan fried pigeon then its the breasts cut off, whith the crowns, we tend to chuck a few into the pheasant caserole on a sat / sunday and then have tehm the next day. esp on a monday for us as its a busy day with the kids running about and just heat up again in the microwave and they are great. Youngest one prefers pigeon to pheasant.

Trev

Nice video. I watched it at work with the sound off. Excellent hand gestures, I was guessing what you were saying.

What's the advantage of having them on the bone? I tend to split the skin and cut each breast off.

Good for the freezer Gully :good:

So the rottie tells me :P

• 5 weeks later...