What does "centre vision" mean in gun terms

ratty1

It means that the gun has no cast - neither 'on' nor 'off'. In other words the barrels and stock run in a straight line when viewed from above. Most USA guns for the home market are made like this. As I note BP has just said, this would be suitable for someone with no dominant eye, having 'central' vision.

That just about sums it up. I personally don't 'aim' my guns and measured ones are set for 'centre vision', I just look at the bird and in essence don't 'aim' and done it this way for close on 70yrs.  I used to shoot pistol as a tactical FA officer with both eyes open...used to drive instructors mad because we used to shoot weak eye / strong eye around barricades and I always had both eyes fully open.  That why if you are serious about your shooting you should at least spend a few bob and go have a fitting with a reputable stocker.

4 minutes ago, wymberley said:

It means that the gun has no cast - neither 'on' nor 'off'. In other words the barrels and stock run in a straight line when viewed from above. Most USA guns for the home market are made like this. As I note BP has just said, this would be suitable for someone with no dominant eye, having 'central' vision.

About right but for both eyes to register the gun on target then a certain amount of cast may be necessary.  It's all down to ..do you close or partually close an eye when shooting.

If both eyes equalise then the barrels need to be central.

Hello ratty1,

Any gun I have seen that is described as central vision has a vast amount of  bend/cast on stock. Almost looking ridiculous, known also as crossover stock. Entirely unsuitable for normal/usual eyesight.

The stock is definitely not straight!

Regards,

mrwmartin

Center vision stock is cast in a similar way to a cross over stock . That is a stock that you mount on one shoulder but can look down with the opposite eye . Center vision puts the stock centrally between both eyes and is sometimes referred to as a "cross eye "and was the idea that a cross eyed shooter could then use it with both eyes open and the gun would center .

They can also be stocked like this for people with very wide shoulders , fat face  or or other physical problems . That a conventional or hollow faced stock will not suit