Another one crossed off.

motty

Before Friday I had shot pigeons in Norfolk, Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire, Suffolk and Essex. I have now added Hertfordshire to that list. Rob (Catamong from this site) had invited me down to shoot on a bean stubble. So I made the journey (best part of 100 miles) in the old Toyota on Friday morning, arriving at around 8.45am. Rob was waiting for me at the field's entrance. We went across to a likely looking spot where he had already set up the hide and decoys. The hide position offered a great view of the rolling Hertfordshire landscape. Something I am not used to is looking for incoming pigeons below the horizon.

The pigeon shooting was a little slow a times, but this bothered me not one bit. We had a good chat about all things shooting and had a good laugh. I have never seen so many hawks in one place as I did on Friday. There were loads of red kites doing the rounds, plus a pair of perigrines made an appearance. Great stuff!

Rob was the first class host. He had bought me a full packed lunch and let me have the majority of the shooting. The pigeons themselves were tricky little **** at times, jinking on the blustery wind. We both managed to pull down a few very satisfying birds, as well as missing the odd easier one. Many times, though, the pigeons looked like they were on, only to veer off 100 yards away. It was strange because the area had not been shot, and we had a very good looking set up to entice them in. That's pigeons for you!

Rob apologised at the end of the day. He was disappointed with the amount of shooting we had. It didn't matter to me, but I know how he felt. I still enjoyed my first outing in a new area, and we accounted for 39 pigeons and a couple of crows.

WP_20180824_0021_zpsv0agdlb6.jpg

WP_20180824_0071_zpspfzwma6h.jpg

Nice to try somewhere different and to see how other people go about the art of shooting pigeons , you know as well as I do that a lot of work goes into trying to arrange a days pigeon shooting and things can and do change over night , so by getting a tidy bag , being with a good host , staying dry and shooting over a lovely bit of countryside sounds to me like a perfect day and well done to Catamong for arranging the get together. 

I have only shot pigeons in Norfolk and Suffolk and with me being on the boundary between the two counties there are times where I can shoot a pigeon in Norfolk and it lands in Suffolk , we also have flight ponds in the two counties which are on the same estate , in theory we can shoot duck on one side of the road on a Sunday because it in Suffolk but the one on the other side of the road we cant because it is in Norfolk , strange but true . 

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, la bala said:

Did you find any birds in Fenland on Saturday Motty.

Yes, shot 51 pigeons and a few various. I had intended to shoot on a bean stubble, but I was very surprised to find very little on any of the beans I looked at. I ended up on a barley stubble.

Stuart looked like he was getting a few customers when I saw him.

8 hours ago, motty said:

Yes, shot 51 pigeons and a few various. I had intended to shoot on a bean stubble, but I was very surprised to find very little on any of the beans I looked at. I ended up on a barley stubble.

Stuart looked like he was getting a few customers when I saw him.

He said he saw you. He set up at 8am, he had 88 by eleven then things dried up. He stuck it out until 1pm which gave him the ton on the clicker. I went by the field at 2-30 and it was grey, I actually rang him, thought he was shooting elsewhere.