Keeping Cats Indoors

lord_seagrave

1 hour ago, norfolk dumpling said:

Neuter every cat then in a few years our wildlife will flourish again

I’m sure every pigeon/ rabbit/ fox etc would say that about us lot- domestic mogs taking ‘songbirds’, isn’t this all about maintaining the equilibrium that exists within nature anyway.

If we weren’t on this planet then I’m sure there would be many many more mogs around taking more than they do now— what ever happened to ‘live n let live’ 

Could day the same about every dog so I can at least walk the pavement / park etc without stepping in something unpleasant- not all pick it up, or maybe just don’t notice poochie taking a poop?

Even here in frog land it’s getting better, they have regular early morning pavement jet washing etc

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

‘live n let live’ 

I know it doesn't happen all that often jaymo but I agree with you.

I say it on here often, we're a minority sport at risk of our hobby being banned, yet there's many on here advocating banning others enjoyment, I'll make a bet with anyone on here that shooting gets banned before cat ownership does. We should all learn to be a bit more tolerant of others hobbies, whether it's cats, cycling or anything else.

7 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I know it doesn't happen all that often jaymo but I agree with you.

I say it on here often, we're a minority sport at risk of our hobby being banned, yet there's many on here advocating banning others enjoyment, I'll make a bet with anyone on here that shooting gets banned before cat ownership does. We should all learn to be a bit more tolerant of others hobbies, whether it's cats, cycling or anything else.

Now where is the ‘fainting’ icon :-), bit like winning the lottery- knew it would happen one day......

41 minutes ago, Bobba said:

There are two subjects on here that can give rise to a heated exchange of views and they are cats an cyclists. Thank goodness cats can't ride bikes !

Now we mentioned this on the cycling thread so what about a ‘ginger cycling cat’ ?

phaedra1106 you beat me to it

Edited by Jaymo

6 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Now where is the ‘fainting’ icon :-), bit like winning the lottery- knew it would happen one day......

I'm of the same mind.

I see people rant about banning shooting, fishing,  off road driving and motorbikes,  all of which I partake in.

I have a selfish desire to see certain things banned myself, and then see the hypocrisy of it.

There's room for all.

Edited by John_R

9 hours ago, Jaymo said:

I’m sure every pigeon/ rabbit/ fox etc would say that about us lot- domestic mogs taking ‘songbirds’, isn’t this all about maintaining the equilibrium that exists within nature anyway.

If we weren’t on this planet then I’m sure there would be many many more mogs around taking more than they do now— what ever happened to ‘live n let live’ 

Could day the same about every dog so I can at least walk the pavement / park etc without stepping in something unpleasant- not all pick it up, or maybe just don’t notice poochie taking a poop?

Even here in frog land it’s getting better, they have regular early morning pavement jet washing etc

Nobody is saying ban people from having cats but surely it's not too much to ask for cats to wear bells when outside to protect wildlife.

The trouble is cats and busy roads are not a good mix. My step daughter lives in the country but on a busy road, its not an A or a B road but its very straight and cars go down it at 80mph +.

She lost three of her cats in about 3 years and now she has a secure run down the garden and a cat flap into the house. I have to say the cats seem perfectly happy.

Thanks chaps - some good points in there. 

We’re considering a pet, and, although I very much like cats, the accepted model of cat “ownership” is something I struggle with.

We’re pretty much agreed that our lifestyle isn’t presently compatible with a dog.

Looks like it’s a couple of ferrets for us... :lol:

LS

20 minutes ago, lord_seagrave said:

Thanks chaps - some good points in there. 

We’re considering a pet, and, although I very much like cats, the accepted model of cat “ownership” is something I struggle with.

We’re pretty much agreed that our lifestyle isn’t presently compatible with a dog.

Looks like it’s a couple of ferrets for us... :lol:

LS

Nothing wrong with ferrets as pets, especially if you have kids. Great fun. 

Get em a few hammocks and you’ll see what true relaxation is.....nothing relaxes like a ferret in a hammock! ?

I think cats are not really the problem per se. Most of the problem is their owners. They actually think it's perfectly normal for their pets to go out a defecate and hunt in other people properties, kill birds on your own lawn, and if you have the slight idea of disagreeing, they'll go all the way anthropomorphism because their 'baby' couldn't POSSIBLY have done that, despite video evidence -- and how would YOU feel about having a bell around your neck, you nasty so-and-so.

So if you want pets, keep them at home. if you suddenly decide your pet CAN'T be kept at home because of it's 'human rights', buy a 200 acres property and keep your pet in it.

If you were to own any other vile pets, like snakes, spiders, or other stuff, NOBODY would think it's a good idea to have them roaming in your neighbours gardens and killing the wildlife.

And yes, cats are vile creatures. My mom was a cat lady, I grew up with cats, I grew up smelling of cat ****. I know *everything* there is to know about cats, and there is very little to like despite Internets. They are furry magpies as far as I'm concerned, they WILL kill anything for fun, despite being fed. You can summarise the cat with the immortal words of Desproges: "Oh, the cat is no longer on the lap of grandmother, she must be cold..."

13 minutes ago, buze said:

I think cats are not really the problem per se. Most of the problem is their owners. They actually think it's perfectly normal for their pets to go out a defecate and hunt in other people properties, kill birds on your own lawn, and if you have the slight idea of disagreeing, they'll go all the way anthropomorphism because their 'baby' couldn't POSSIBLY have done that, despite video evidence -- and how would YOU feel about having a bell around your neck, you nasty so-and-so.

So if you want pets, keep them at home. if you suddenly decide your pet CAN'T be kept at home because of it's 'human rights', buy a 200 acres property and keep your pet in it.

If you were to own any other vile pets, like snakes, spiders, or other stuff, NOBODY would think it's a good idea to have them roaming in your neighbours gardens and killing the wildlife.

And yes, cats are vile creatures. My mom was a cat lady, I grew up with cats, I grew up smelling of cat ****. I know *everything* there is to know about cats, and there is very little to like despite Internets. They are furry magpies as far as I'm concerned, they WILL kill anything for fun, despite being fed. You can summarise the cat with the immortal words of Desproges: "Oh, the cat is no longer on the lap of grandmother, she must be cold..."

Sounds like theirs only one vile creature to me .

i can’t control where my cats go and I’ve no need. 

My cats have killed birds but a lot less than I have in the past.

I used to shoot hundreds of starlings on the farm in the feed but my cat has a few and it’s a vile creature ??? 

1 minute ago, team tractor said:

Sounds like theirs only one vile creature to me .

i can’t control where my cats go and I’ve no need. 

My cats have killed birds but a lot less than I have in the past.

I used to shoot hundreds of starlings on the farm in the feed but my cat has a few and it’s a vile creature  

There you go, anthropomorphism 101, "I wuz bad and they are nowhere near as bad as I wuz"

/yawn

10 hours ago, team tractor said:

I bet your great at parties :/ 

i dont like dogs but I’ve no problem with them and wouldnt call them vile . 

Good old trolls :/ 

Why? Dog don't come to my lawn and **** there, dogs don't climb over the fence and come kill birds on my lawn. Whatever you might think of dogs, they are cool pets on that front.

Dogs show compassion, dogs show dedication to their family (humans), dogs show emotions, dogs show gratitude, dogs OBEY, dogs get sad, dogs CARE about their pack/family.

Try that with your fur ball.

Anyway, as I said, I have nothing against cat per se.. My problem is that cat owner expectation that they can let their pet roam free. "it's their nature" doesn't count. A dogs nature would ALSO be to roam and **** on your lawn if given the chance -- or kill your pet. However, dog owners don't have that free pass of "oh, it's just their nature".

10 hours ago, buze said:

Why? Dog don't come to my lawn and **** there, dogs don't climb over the fence and come kill birds on my lawn. Whatever you might think of dogs, they are cool pets on that front.

Dogs show compassion, dogs show dedication to their family (humans), dogs show emotions, dogs show gratitude, dogs OBEY, dogs get sad, dogs CARE about their pack/family.

Try that with your fur ball.

Anyway, as I said, I have nothing against cat per se.. My problem is that cat owner expectation that they can let their pet roam free. "it's their nature" doesn't count. A dogs nature would ALSO be to roam and **** on your lawn if given the chance -- or kill your pet. However, dog owners don't have that free pass of "oh, it's just their nature".

My cats are so protective over my family it’s untrue . They sit with my children all day making sure they’re safe. When I’m down in the dumps my furry friends are straight on my lap giving me kisses. 

The one rarely leaves the house and the other follows me everywhere like washing the van, cutting lawns etc. Every night I pull on the drive my cat is waiting to jump on my lap when i open the door.

my cats obey. I can squeak differently and they know what I mean.

i can call them in, tell them food , tell them no/off . It’s putting the effort in. 

My cats sat on mrs tt bump both times she was pregnant keeping it warm . It’s not  just dogs that protect a family.

10 hours ago, buze said:

If I didn't know better, I'd think I was reading a post from a rabid anti giving there reasons as to why shooting should be banned and what horrible murdering creatures gun owners are, you want to relax and learn a little tolerance for other people and there enjoyment, there's far worse going on in the country than a cat pooing on your lawn! There's an argument that if your that intolerant you should buy an island and go live on it in peace.