Obtaining an FAC with past convictions

leigh1974

Hello,

My intention is to apply for an FAC in the near future but am not sure what the chances will be due to long ago criminal convictions so thought i would ask for some advice from you guys to get a bit of an idea what the chances may be?  Around 18 years ago i had been a member of a shooting club using rimfire and larger calibre on an outside range which lasted around a year and have done plenty of target shooting with various air rifles which i own etc since. I am thinking about re joining the club very soon with the ultimate aim of obtaining an FAC for .22 rimfire at some point one reason being so i don't have to borrow a gun everytime.

Regarding convictions i am now mid 40's self employed with a family, house and children and very regrettably the offences occurred in my late teens around 24 years ago which were several thefts from motor vehicles and vehicle parts etc which all happened over a period of about one year which i wish i could remove from the calendar. The last one landed me in youth custody for 18 mths of which 9 were served. Since then with the exception of a no vehice tax 17 years ago there is nothing.

One of the reasons i never applied for the fac when previously at the club was because i knew the chances would be very low with only a few years having passed from my stupid teenage antics although now much time has passed i am non the wiser as to what the chances would be and if there is no chance may not take the sport up again. Another thing i would be very embarrassed if they knew at the club about my past so would want to avoid that.

Very interested to know your thought and hear your advice,

regards

leigh

Many of us, if we're honest, have done things in our youth that we wish we could delete; just some of us were lucky enough not to have been caught.

Just apply, be honest and hold your 'Mid 40's' head up high........

Other than that, see if you can meet your local FEO and present him with the facts. Then you'll know for sure what to do.

Having read your post I feel that your chances are good.

As an RFD and gun club proprietor, I am often asked for an opinion on chance of obtaining SGC & FAC.

I am aware of other recent grants to applicants with criminal records for crimes committed in the distant past of greater gravity than those admitted by you.

webber

Thank you for the prompt replies this has certainly given me a heads up, i am wondering before joining if it would be worth emailing or ringing my local FEO to explain the situation although not sure if they would be able say too much until i actually make the application. 

16 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

7 charges of Armed Trespass - using a Firearm without a licence - stealing ammunition for said Firearm - not proud by any means but it didn't affect my FAC or SGC.

And there was I worrying about my only court appearance when I got charged with , Riding a push bike with no front or back lights , I told the policeman on a motorbike , I did have lights but there wasn't any batteries in , that didn't work as I still got fined 30s/0d in old money or £1.50p in new .:lol:

That's an even better heads up :) , just written a lengthy email to the fire arms department so will post back here with the response, hopefully won't be to long.

Forgot to mention just looked on the club website and says must submit to a police check so not sure if this would be same as before or something new?

I don’t think it’s going to be as straight forward as other members have commented especially under the current climate regarding gun ownership not going on the chat I had on my last renewal with my flo. but you have nothing to lose if you get turned down you will get your application money back. Best advice I can give you be 100% honest on your application.

Edited by blackbird

11 hours ago, telf said:

you can apply for a readout of your convictions costs a tenner , you may be surprised to find alot if not all have been wiped off

I believe  spent convictions  still have to  be declared for  SGC/FAC  applications.

I wonder  what force area the op is in, that may  have a bearing.

5 hours ago, leigh1974 said:

That's an even better heads up  , just written a lengthy email to the fire arms department so will post back here with the response, hopefully won't be to long.

Forgot to mention just looked on the club website and says must submit to a police check so not sure if this would be same as before or something new?

Are you a full member of the club at this moment in time ?

If you are not ,you need to be , before sending the application off.

I'm an ex borstal boy who took a long time to grow up - way after a recall.

You'd be surprised at how many people have dodgy pasts but have since turned their lives round. In fact many scalliwags can be straighter than some people with no convictions - possibly through trying harder.

Go for it.

2 hours ago, blackbird said:

I don’t think it’s going to be as straight forward as other members have commented especially under the current climate regarding gun ownership not going on the chat I had on my last renewal with my flo. but you have nothing to lose if you get turned down you will get your application money back. Best advice I can give you be 100% honest on your application.

This is what worries me the thought of being doomed to failure before i even start.

51 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Are you a full member of the club at this moment in time ?

If you are not ,you need to be , before sending the application off.

Not a full member but will be contacting the club about membership in the next day or so and will more than likely let at least a year pass of being a member before applying for a licence.

2 hours ago, Wymondley said:

I believe  spent convictions  still have to  be declared for  SGC/FAC  applications.

I wonder  what force area the op is in, that may  have a bearing.

North yorkshire.

1 hour ago, leigh1974 said:

This is what worries me the thought of being doomed to failure before i even start.

Not a full member but will be contacting the club about membership in the next day or so and will more than likely let at least a year pass of being a member before applying for a licence.

Personally I don't think your previous should be an issue, enough time has passed, and as long as there's no violence in your record, you should be ok .

Spending £10 on a disclosure of your record helps remember what your convictions were. Do not try to hide anything, this will go very badly for you, as blatantly lying on application, or at FEO interview will result in a refusal.

Get some club time under your belt, complete probationary  period and demonstrate your interest in shooting and you'll be fine.

Good luck

On 27/08/2018 at 14:44, bruno22rf said:

7 charges of Armed Trespass - using a Firearm without a licence - stealing ammunition for said Firearm - not proud by any means but it didn't affect my FAC or SGC.

I'd hate to be your FEO if you ever went rogue?