Obtaining an FAC with past convictions

leigh1974

10 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

i always thought that armed trespass and using a firearm without a licence was quite a serious offence??

Depends on the context.
If it was 50 years ago, and he just hadnt paid for a shotgun licence, or 'borrowed ' dads gun, then its not actually that serious.
Same as armed trespass, could have just drifted onto someone elses land without permission ?

I lose count of the amount of kids who ask me where they can go and shoot with air rifles, when I tell them nowhere except a club or land you have permission on, they look at me slack jawed, and say, what about common ground, or 'up in the woods' ?
When I was a kid, you could get away with such things (most of the time !) these days, you would have armed response and a nasty time at the police station/court.

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 01:32, KB1 said:

Many of us, if we're honest, have done things in our youth that we wish we could delete; just some of us were lucky enough not to have been caught.

Amen to that  :good:

I remember that dreadful gut wrenching cringeworthy interview Mrs. May did where she was asked what was the worst thing she'd ever done..... hang on, here it is:

I believe that in each of us, we will remember the worst and daftest things we ever did in our early years and it will make your own blood run cold.

it really depends on the FEO..............i was talking to my FEO several years ago............and he said to me that the only conviction that would prevent a grant was "receiving stolen goods" and possibly "GBH" and that would depend on circumstances...........

as Harnser says what we did as a young yoof...(providing we change and settle down)...shouldnt be a problem..........

best of luck..:good:

I wish you the best of luck in your application - hopefully all will go well.

If you are turned down then make sure that you request the reasoning for the decision in writing and also ask for their advice in writing on how much time should pass before re-applying which is a bit like an appeal without having to go to court - I do know of one person (GBH sorta in self defense)for whom this worked and the decision was reviewed once the FD was put on the spot. The written decision gives you the ammunition (sorry!) you need to appeal any decision in court, should you decide to go down that route with legal help, if the decision is not based on reasonable objections.

On 27/08/2018 at 03:21, steve_b_wales said:

The fact that it was many years ago, and now you have settled down with a family etc, should put you with a good chance of getting a licence. I know of some people who have had GBH convictions on their record, and have now got both sgc and fac tickets.

Thats me and i got both SGC and FAC

I used to be in north Yorkshire and when I applied they told me a juvenile conviction I had from 12 years previous didn't warrant anything to worry about regarding my shotgun application. I was told so long as you are and have been seen to be a good boy I cant envisage any problems with your application. There wasn't and now I also hold FAC too

Don't worry too much and get your application in.

Leigh, I read that you come under North Yorkshire, I've always found the North Yorkshire firearms department to be incredibly practical, approachable and easy to deal with. I don't have any dealings relating to past convictions but have always found them really helpful.  As with lots of firearms depts they are ridiculously busy and usually deal with applications in the order they land, that can mean up to six months delay on a new grant.  From my own personal experience with them, I would honestly suggest you call them and have a frank chat, they have always been very helpful,and positive when I have had direct dealings with them.

On 29/08/2018 at 09:24, Mungler said:

Amen to that  :good:

I remember that dreadful gut wrenching cringeworthy interview Mrs. May did where she was asked what was the worst thing she'd ever done..... hang on, here it is:

I believe that in each of us, we will remember the worst and daftest things we ever did in our early years and it will make your own blood run cold.

Yes but the last bit was edited, she had actually been with her friend in the crops, but the local rugby team was there too, all naked and coverd in tomato sauce. 

No idea what the tomato sauce was for. 

19 hours ago, Dougy said:

Yes but the last bit was edited, she had actually been with her friend in the crops, but the local rugby team was there too, all naked and coverd in tomato sauce. 

No idea what the tomato sauce was for. 

Tomato sauce is very good at hiding smells. ? Just a thought! 

On 29/08/2018 at 08:06, blackbird said:

I am 100% sure the only reply you are going to get is, “submit our application & we can have a look at it” I would just fill in the forms & see what happens nothing to loose mate.

Bang on! You may get some half whit tell you it's not worth bothering. When in reality, you may stand as much chance as anyone of us!

Good Luck to you,

J.