BBB steel reloads

Ttfjlc

8 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

My Father and Brothers both used 10ga hence the reason I've shot plenty of Geese with one But for me through out a full season using a 12ga I'd come out on top eg foggy very windy morning's Night tide flights or moon flights reasons 10ga to heavy long barrels etc and no disrespect to ANY 10ga user past or present if you can't kill them with a 12ga then your know right shooting at them after all Dead is Dead. Even with us now using Non Toxic my thoughts findings are know different a reason why i very very rarely use 3.5" cartridges in a 12ga again if i can't regularly cleanly kill them with a 3" cartridge i should not be shooting at them.

Only last season a good mate armed with a 10ga wasted a good flight in a wind due to low fast Geese he could not catch up with i could bore you with many more examples where a 12ga or even a 20ga has done far better than a 10ga. But as I've stated before no matter what gauge shot size payload or type of shot you use if it satisfies your needs and your killing cleanly more than your missing or injuring then as a individual you should be happy and stick with it.

For me a 3" 12ga suit's my shooting and a good amount of the time a 3" 20ga even on foreshore Geese where to be honest apart from my nephew nobody knows what gun gauge I've done flight with as my gun is only out of it's case during flight.

Hope that helps without offending which certainly is not my intention

This is why I dont use my 10,  most of the shooting i do is at dusk and given the surrounding hills i dont see anything until they are on top of me, however I can see the benefit of a 10 out on the open foreshore and the probable longer range 

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

This is why I dont use my 10,  most of the shooting i do is at dusk and given the surrounding hills i dont see anything until they are on top of me, however I can see the benefit of a 10 out on the open foreshore and the probable longer range 

I think things have changed in the last few years. I believe a 12, correctly choked and with the right shot type, can be on par with an 8 with traditional lead loads.

2 hours ago, motty said:

I think things have changed in the last few years. I believe a 12, correctly choked and with the right shot type, can be on par with an 8 with traditional lead loads.

agreed,  I think you like steel and hw, do you consider that steel has more benefits than lead, im thinking more pellets per gram or does your post refer to hevi

Edited by islandgun

6 hours ago, islandgun said:

agreed,  I think you like steel and hw, do you consider that steel has more benefits than lead, im thinking more pellets per gram or does your post refer to hevi

Yes I was specifically referring to the heavyweight variants. I do like steel, and yes, it does have a few advantages over lead.

It’s much easier to get a better pattern with B or BB in a 12. 

BBB comes into its own in the 10. Both B and BB carry plenty of energy as far you’ll need. 

I know they use larger sizes across the pond but a Canada is twice the size of a Pink which are much more like snow geese and plenty of those fall to 2’s each year.