BBB steel reloads

Ttfjlc

Afternoon all, I was wondering if anybody uses BBB steel loads in a 12 and how they get on with them? I'm currently sorting out my next list of reloading components to order and was curious what shot to get. I have a few HW13 shells kindly loaded by a member off here, I've personally loaded some 3" steel 1s and 3s and was thinking of getting some 3 1/2" cases to load bigger steel but thought I'd ask on here first to get people's opinions, cheers.

2 minutes ago, figgy said:

I have loaded BBB in a 3" case and i will be loading some more in 31/2" case cant get the full 42 g due to pellet size a 40 g will do me for geese.

Do you find any advantage in using BBB shot or is it in the mind you have something with a bit more clout , the reason I ask is , I once went through that period in life where I thought by using bigger shot I could knock stuff down from a greater height , all it done was tempted me to take on stuff at the extreme range resulting with knocking the odd one down but many more carrying on after been hit with the odd pellet .

That was when we didn't have nowhere near the amount of geese come down to ours like we do now , the biggest shot I use now is 36g  3s and that is more than big enough for the few geese I shoot nowadays , I know for a fact that if they are in range and I put the shot in the right place my cartridges are more than good enough to do the business .

12 minutes ago, figgy said:

I have loaded BBB in a 3" case and i will be loading some more in 31/2" case cant get the full 42 g due to pellet size a 40 g will do me for geese.

Cheers Figgy, must admit I hadn't thought of the size of the shot taking up a lot of space thus reducing the payload. 

1 hour ago, Ttfjlc said:

Afternoon all, I was wondering if anybody uses BBB steel loads in a 12 and how they get on with them? I'm currently sorting out my next list of reloading components to order and was curious what shot to get. I have a few HW13 shells kindly loaded by a member off here, I've personally loaded some 3" steel 1s and 3s and was thinking of getting some 3 1/2" cases to load bigger steel but thought I'd ask on here first to get people's opinions, cheers.

J this will come as no surprise. Save your money and time stick with what you have John ( Marsh Man ) is also spot and with your saved money give it to me to teach how to " Nut Geese " But if you are hell bent on trying 3.5" 42grm BBB Steel I'll give you a box Free that i loaded for someone.

Only reason I’m loading some is our Marsh has had a lot of earthworks near it for two seasons and lots of times the geese won’t commit like usual so only shots are at distance. Number 1 just didn’t do the business all the time. My thinking is I can’t afford heavy shot so bbb is my best chance so I’m giving it a go with a tight choke. If it works great if not back to the drawing board. 

3 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

J this will come as no surprise. Save your money and time stick with what you have John ( Marsh Man ) is also spot and with your saved money give it to me to teach how to " Nut Geese " But if you are hell bent on trying 3.5" 42grm BBB Steel I'll give you a box Free that i loaded for someone.

Evening Boyd, as ever I appreciate your advice, I'm not desperate to try them I just found some old posts on here and wasn't sure if people still used them. You know I've had success with eley lightning 1s in the past I just wondered if there were any real advantage to bigger shot. ?

6 minutes ago, Ttfjlc said:

Evening Boyd, as ever I appreciate your advice, I'm not desperate to try them I just found some old posts on here and wasn't sure if people still used them. You know I've had success with eley lightning 1s in the past I just wondered if there were any real advantage to bigger shot. ?

You probably have seen past posts of mine where I've stated a good mate of mine ( a very good shot ) who shot hundreds of Geese with nearly always used very tight chokes 3.5" 12ga BBB cartridges whilst more often than not i shot side by side with him using my 20ga 1oz Steel 3-2 and latterly Steel B's or a 3" 12ga using 36grm 3's and open chokes.Did or doe's this make me a better shot ???? Most certainly NOT but sorry for repeating myself what works for myself is Pattern AND Penertration along with confidence I'm sure my mate would be the first to admit give him my gun cartridge combination he would struggle to kill much likewise myself if i used his. Going off thread I've never owned nor would i a 10ga  ( yes I've shot plenty of Geese with a 10ga ) as i see them as a disadvantage opposed to a advantage .

My advice to anyone if it works for you/them stick with it along as you are not leaving more wingtipped/injured Geese than dead around the countryside. My offer to try those 3.5" BBB 42grm is genuine 

25 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

You probably have seen past posts of mine where I've stated a good mate of mine ( a very good shot ) who shot hundreds of Geese with nearly always used very tight chokes 3.5" 12ga BBB cartridges whilst more often than not i shot side by side with him using my 20ga 1oz Steel 3-2 and latterly Steel B's or a 3" 12ga using 36grm 3's and open chokes.Did or doe's this make me a better shot ???? Most certainly NOT but sorry for repeating myself what works for myself is Pattern AND Penertration along with confidence I'm sure my mate would be the first to admit give him my gun cartridge combination he would struggle to kill much likewise myself if i used his. Going off thread I've never owned nor would i a 10ga  ( yes I've shot plenty of Geese with a 10ga ) as i see them as a disadvantage opposed to a advantage .

My advice to anyone if it works for you/them stick with it along as you are not leaving more wingtipped/injured Geese than dead around the countryside. My offer to try those 3.5" BBB 42grm is genuine 

Cheers mate I must admit I did think about loading for the 10g but got plenty of 12g shells to try 1st, I'll PM you about those shells. ?

Jason, I have killed geese with many different sizes of steel ( like I am sure many have). I have killed foreshore pinks with T, BBB, BB, B, 1, 2, 3 and perhaps 4. The only size that I would perhaps stay away from is T. The pellet count puts me off. The good thing about BBB is that you don't necessarily have to be right up the front to kill geese. BBB is the favoured shot size in steel for a few fowlers I know. My favourite is BB.

I have used a lot of BBB shop bought 3.5 inch Remmington and Winchester cartridges 1 9/16 oz and been very successful with them, but it is as Boyd says a very tight choke is important. I used a .700 turkey after choke and that combination would pull down plenty of pinks to 50 yards.

1 hour ago, motty said:

Jason, I have killed geese with many different sizes of steel ( like I am sure many have). I have killed foreshore pinks with T, BBB, BB, B, 1, 2, 3 and perhaps 4. The only size that I would perhaps stay away from is T. The pellet count puts me off. The good thing about BBB is that you don't necessarily have to be right up the front to kill geese. BBB is the favoured shot size in steel for a few fowlers I know. My favourite is BB.

Thanks Wayne I must admit I prefer a dense pattern, I might get some BB steel to try instead and see how I go. Would you stick with 3" for BB or 3 1/2"? As I've mentioned before I'm still fairly green on the reloading front so I'm keen to see what works for others.

53 minutes ago, anser2 said:

I have used a lot of BBB shop bought 3.5 inch Remmington and Winchester cartridges 1 9/16 oz and been very successful with them, but it is as Boyd says a very tight choke is important. I used a .700 turkey after choke and that combination would pull down plenty of pinks to 50 yards.

Hi anser2 I use a kicks high flyer Full in my Xtrema2, although I haven't shot many geese the ones I have shot have been at decent ranges with eley lightning 1s.

13 minutes ago, Ttfjlc said:

Thanks Wayne I must admit I prefer a dense pattern, I might get some BB steel to try instead and see how I go. Would you stick with 3" for BB or 3 1/2"? As I've mentioned before I'm still fairly green on the reloading front so I'm keen to see what works for others.

Hi anser2 I use a kicks high flyer Full in my Xtrema2, although I haven't shot many geese the ones I have shot have been at decent ranges with eley lightning 1s.

I would go with 3 1/2". More pellets, but potentially less speed (oh no!), plus less powder charges.

I am not so sure speed is so important with very big pellets as they pack such a hell of a wallop. With the increased weight of a BBB pellet, it carries velocity further than smaller pellets. At 50  yards the pellets usually go straight through a bird and with a very tight choke carry enough pattern density through a couple of pellets is usually all that is needed to bring a goose down and even a single pellet hit in the forward part of the body again will bring the bird down. So BBB has the velocity at 50 yards and in the right choke the pattern to do the job. Start stretching the range beyond that and expect wounding or missing birds due to the thin pattern. That is using a 3.5 inch load.

3 hours ago, Continental Shooter said:

What cartridge is that you're using there Boyd? Got a few kg of steel 3 I need to use up. Got A-Steel and longshot. Suggestions welcome ?

Cheddite 3" case

CX2000 primer

22.5 grains Alliant Steel powder

B&P 3" 28 Steel wad ( from Sirarm )

1oz Steel shot

Personally i 8 star crimp.

Average FPS 1425. Never loaded longshot but have loaded Lil-Gun 20ga Steel loads pattern well FPS 1500+ will be testing them on Geese this coming Saturday 

2 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Cheddite 3" case

CX2000 primer

22.5 grains Alliant Steel powder

B&P 3" 28 Steel wad ( from Sirarm )

1oz Steel shot

Personally i 8 star crimp.

Average FPS 1425. Never loaded longshot but have loaded Lil-Gun 20ga Steel loads pattern well FPS 1500+ will be testing them on Geese this coming Saturday 

Thanks mate, will test them as well for you on Saturday, hopefully?

do you spin it over and don't happen to know the height you close them at by any chance??

On 27/08/2018 at 20:17, 6.5x55SE said:

Interesting about the 10 bore, why do you see them as a disadvantage ? I have a sxs  10g ugartechea at 91/2 lb which I find is heavy and slow to move [this is why i dont use it]  but some advocate a big bore due to a large payload and that once it is moving it keeps moving also some say it patterns better than a 12...... I do like it though, it shuts with a real klllonk ....?

2 hours ago, Continental Shooter said:

Thanks mate, will test them as well for you on Saturday, hopefully?

do you spin it over and don't happen to know the height you close them at by any chance??

No problem. Yes i use a Gaep crimp finisher unfortunately know I've never measured them Good luck Saturday

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Interesting about the 10 bore, why do you see them as a disadvantage ? I have a sxs  10g ugartechea at 91/2 lb which I find is heavy and slow to move [this is why i dont use it]  but some advocate a big bore due to a large payload and that once it is moving it keeps moving also some say it patterns better than a 12...... I do like it though, it shuts with a real klllonk ....?

My Father and Brothers both used 10ga hence the reason I've shot plenty of Geese with one But for me through out a full season using a 12ga I'd come out on top eg foggy very windy morning's Night tide flights or moon flights reasons 10ga to heavy long barrels etc and no disrespect to ANY 10ga user past or present if you can't kill them with a 12ga then your know right shooting at them after all Dead is Dead. Even with us now using Non Toxic my thoughts findings are know different a reason why i very very rarely use 3.5" cartridges in a 12ga again if i can't regularly cleanly kill them with a 3" cartridge i should not be shooting at them.

Only last season a good mate armed with a 10ga wasted a good flight in a wind due to low fast Geese he could not catch up with i could bore you with many more examples where a 12ga or even a 20ga has done far better than a 10ga. But as I've stated before no matter what gauge shot size payload or type of shot you use if it satisfies your needs and your killing cleanly more than your missing or injuring then as a individual you should be happy and stick with it.

For me a 3" 12ga suit's my shooting and a good amount of the time a 3" 20ga even on foreshore Geese where to be honest apart from my nephew nobody knows what gun gauge I've done flight with as my gun is only out of it's case during flight.

Hope that helps without offending which certainly is not my intention

1 hour ago, 6.5x55SE said:

My Father and Brothers both used 10ga hence the reason I've shot plenty of Geese with one But for me through out a full season using a 12ga I'd come out on top eg foggy very windy morning's Night tide flights or moon flights reasons 10ga to heavy long barrels etc and no disrespect to ANY 10ga user past or present if you can't kill them with a 12ga then your know right shooting at them after all Dead is Dead. Even with us now using Non Toxic my thoughts findings are know different a reason why i very very rarely use 3.5" cartridges in a 12ga again if i can't regularly cleanly kill them with a 3" cartridge i should not be shooting at them.

Only last season a good mate armed with a 10ga wasted a good flight in a wind due to low fast Geese he could not catch up with i could bore you with many more examples where a 12ga or even a 20ga has done far better than a 10ga. But as I've stated before no matter what gauge shot size payload or type of shot you use if it satisfies your needs and your killing cleanly more than your missing or injuring then as a individual you should be happy and stick with it.

For me a 3" 12ga suit's my shooting and a good amount of the time a 3" 20ga even on foreshore Geese where to be honest apart from my nephew nobody knows what gun gauge I've done flight with as my gun is only out of it's case during flight.

Hope that helps without offending which certainly is not my intention

With your success with all gauges mate I think the only way you could offend people is if you used a spud gun. :lol: