New old lathe

lopylui

Belonged to a fellow who made scaled down steam engines for model railway, the bad part is that when he passed his wife sold his machines to the bloke im hoping to buy from and hes had it sat outside under a tarp outside for a while...

Edited by lopylui

16 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Be nice to have a little competition for Ditchman!

leave me outa it........:lol:...got me own probs............bendix on the starter motor finally went this morning.....so have spent most of the day putting re-built motor on engine ...which i didnt want to do as i got covered in oil from the leaking rear oil seal....which i will replace when i do the engine re-build.........

so at the moment i have lost my sense of humour....and would much prefer to see someone else do a proper good re-build thread..:good:

11 minutes ago, ditchman said:

leave me outa it...........got me own probs............bendix on the starter motor finally went this morning.....so have spent most of the day putting re-built motor on engine ...which i didnt want to do as i got covered in oil from the leaking rear oil seal....which i will replace when i do the engine re-build.........

so at the moment i have lost my sense of humour....and would much prefer to see someone else do a proper good re-build thread..:good:

You will never rust!:good:

An old lathe can be worth it's weight in gold. I purchased a very old lathe. Ok it ain't no CNC machine but it does little jobs for me, like last week I had a 1/4 inch bolt almost the right length but needed a couple more threads showing to get a nut on tidy.  Mounted in the lathe and reduced the inside thickness of the head in a couple of minutes, perfect and saved me a ten mile run to buy a new bolt.  Paid a hundred notes for it which included a whole set of different gears which I have never used, two face plates big and small and two additional chucks of diferent sizes.  Was originally driven from an overhead belt in a factory but now has an electric motor fitted.  Great fun.

11 hours ago, Walker570 said:

An old lathe can be worth it's weight in gold. I purchased a very old lathe. Ok it ain't no CNC machine but it does little jobs for me, like last week I had a 1/4 inch bolt almost the right length but needed a couple more threads showing to get a nut on tidy.  Mounted in the lathe and reduced the inside thickness of the head in a couple of minutes, perfect and saved me a ten mile run to buy a new bolt.  Paid a hundred notes for it which included a whole set of different gears which I have never used, two face plates big and small and two additional chucks of diferent sizes.  Was originally driven from an overhead belt in a factory but now has an electric motor fitted.  Great fun.

If you enjoy tinkering/making things, engineering, the two machines that will allow you to make almost anything are, lathe and milling machine (Bridgeport type) and perhaps the addition of a pedestal drill for a bit of vertical deep hole drilling.

Been a toolmaker all my life and love the smell of a engineering work shop/tool room.   

4 hours ago, old'un said:

If you enjoy tinkering/making things, engineering, the two machines that will allow you to make almost anything are, lathe and milling machine (Bridgeport type) and perhaps the addition of a pedestal drill for a bit of vertical deep hole drilling.

Been a toolmaker all my life and love the smell of a engineering work shop/tool room.   

Cant beat the smell of a machine shop can you, pictures will be on shortly...

20180828_105354.jpg
20180828_105302.jpg
20180828_105308.jpg
20180828_105314.jpg
20180828_105326.jpg
20180828_105340.jpg
20180828_105321.jpg
20180828_105323.jpg
20180828_105250.jpg
20180828_105259.jpg
20180828_105241.jpg
20180828_105247.jpg

Now whats peoples opinions, theres no nameplate and what seams to be a lot of components that have been made over the years. The next bit needs me to throw a number at him and see if he bites, as it sits with no make or model and a power feed that needs some repairs, not to mension the rust patches i was tempted to simply offer scrap value but... i figured you guys would give me an idea of what to offer.

i was tempted to simply offer scrap value

IMO that's what it' only worth ATM, lots of work involved getting it up & running & be honest you don't know what's wrong with it just looking at it, apart from the obvious.

Spare parts are a concern, can you get them, looking at the large gear cog that needs replaced it's a lucky dip on ebay.

Crompton motors aren't cheap, does it still work, cannot see from the photos but what's the lathe bed like. With it standing outside you don't know what has seized, lead screw looks OK cause it's underneath the bed & has plenty oil on it. Compound slide etc rough as a badgers ****, the **** & burnard chuck just looks facial so maybe OK there.

Lot of TLC needed, & long term project.

Do you have the space (or the requirement) for a lathe of that length?

The broken gear doesn't look to be a simple fix as you have several broken and chipped teeth.

Faffing around with a 4 jaw (as against a 3 jaw) chuck on day to day turning is very time consuming.

It would have to be very, very cheap

If you get it going you'll still be able to use it as a lathe as such, but you won't have any long travel with the gear cog broken, you'll be confined to just the compound slide which is limited.

If it's knackered beyond repair bang it on ebay after you've broken it down into spare parts, that way you'll get more for it.

As I've said it's scrap value only in that condition, I wouldn't pay any more.

47 minutes ago, lopylui said:

Iv got the space and who really need to require a lathe to want one! From being in school learning how to run one iv always said i would have my own.

I'm not doubting your need for a lathe - I wouldn't be without mine - but unless you are turning long lengths, I would question why you need that one.

I would still have my doubts on the gearwheel repair.

I am sure that there are less challenging lathe projects around.

If i can get a good deal on it im up for the challenge. As for length theres around 4 feet between the chuck and tail stock so not really a large capacity and its always good to have more room than you need than not enough... 

There is guaranteed to be an easier project to take on, im sure round here theres lathes and mills sat being neglected in every other unit but they simply wont be parted with.

The broken gear is not a problem will just upset the gear ratios if you need a certain thread pitch. 

The problems can be many and some terminal, if you dont have a full set of change gears then expect to pay £15-30 per gear if you can even find the right DP.

then there is the slop in the threads which can be anything from just tightening up to completely worn out threads. Same goes for the bed if there is play it can be tightened up but could be knackered!

once you get past all that there can just be things that just dont make any sense and are a pig to find out what the problem is. 

Pay scrap for it and if you want one working within a year then buy one fully sorted and ready to work.

this is all from bitter experience and still trying to get mine to work as it should.