Blocked Air Rifle Barrel

belly47

Evening all
whilst out having a zero session on one of the farms I shoot, I was approached by an old boy of 84 who lives in one of the houses within the farm, he told me he had a problem with his old air rifle that he uses to shoot squirrels with.

long story short, he had a pellet stuck in the barrel and when trying to rod it out he then managed to snap the brush off and it is now firmly lodged behind the pellet.

I had my hmr rod with me and tried to get it out with no luck, used plenty of wd40 but no good.

is there anything you guys can recommend to help the old boy out.

he has had the rifle for over 40 years he said, in the picture you can just see the pellet stuck in the barrel.

Really want to help him if I can

thanks in advance

20180827_170652.jpg

20180827_155059.jpg

20180827_155055.jpg

I would suggest using a brass or an aluminium rod, both can be purchased from B and Q. That`s a top of the range spring airgun for it`s day. One of my shooting pals has one which he uses more than his pcp and it would be a shame to damage the rifling.

If you have access to a friends diving air bottle it may be possible, (with a bit of ingenuity) to give it a blast of compressed air. Make sure it`s pointing in a safe direction first!

35 minutes ago, Flyboy1950 said:

I would suggest using a brass or an aluminium rod, both can be purchased from B and Q. That`s a top of the range spring airgun for it`s day. One of my shooting pals has one which he uses more than his pcp and it would be a shame to damage the rifling.

I would go this route. Both the brass jag and pellet are softer than the barrel. If you could reach with a solder iron you could melt some if not all the pellet. 

If you go with a drill then wrap the whole of the drill in tape, just leave the cutting edge and enough to let cut metal run, it would help to build the tape so the drill just fits the bore. I would do it this way BUT with a hand drill, remember those ???  you can then turn it very slowly.

Edited by Walker570

Hi

I had a rubbish Logun S16 and managed to get a bunch of pellets stuck up the spout, I made a sort of corkscrew from a thin length of rod steel, I used a knife shaped needle file to cut a rough thread then wrapped electrical tape around to keep it central in the bore so as not to damage the bore if it ran off centre, It remove one and a half inches of jammed lead in three lumps!

The business end

hdYdSSQ.jpg

Full rod with a bend to be able to screw it in to the lead.

cm3za8n.jpg

The blockage removed!

NifW8nn.jpg

I withdrew them from the muzzle end as it was impossible to get to the breech end but it did the job fine ?

The gun looks to be a nice FWB sport- Worth sorting!!

John ?

thanks for all the advice, I took it to the gun shop today and they cleared it out, it had a few pellets and a bronze brush stuck down there.

when the shop tried another pellet after they had cleared it, that too got stuck, so I returned it to the old boy and advised he needs to get it serviced as I imagine the spring could do with replacing and probably the seals too, surprisingly the shop don't do repairs but they gave me the number of a guy that does who is fairly local

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...