chickens

jimbogriff

I've got 6.

We restored an old arc, you need it to have a run and a bit to close them at night. If you have a small garden with nice grass don't keep chickens, they kill the grass quite quickly. The arc needs to have wheels at one end to move it to fresh grass. The eggs are good, but you need more than three chickens as one nomaly dies from the shock of transit etc. The eggs in summer are consistant, we have about 5 a day, but in winter it drops to 2 or 3. Buy layers pellets and use a feeder that is hung from arc roof as they poo in it. Same with the water. You need to clean the water each time you fill it. The plastic feeders/drinkers are fine and work well. What you may find is that the rain gets in the food and clogs it up, buy a bigger lid (looks like a rice pickers hat) and put it on top of the feeder.

In the bit they get shut up in they need a couple of boxes off the floor to lay in. Put ginea pig sawdust in them. You will have to was that bit out with a hose every few days.

They are very easy to keep and put themselves to bed at night, you just need to close the trap door to stop foxes getting them. If you talk to them/whistle when you feed them each time, after a while you can let them rome free and just whistle to get them to come to you.

If you live by a chicken farmer (free range) speak to him about his birds and find out if he will give you some birds. The farmers usually have to pay to have them taken away every few months.

Good Luck.

PS The smell REALLY bad.

We inherited a few chickens when we moved into our last house.

They are hard work, need feeding and watering regularly, plus the cleaning out and they need a good large area, to be moved around in. :P

The eggs were nice.

But, holidays were a nightmare.

There are no kennels, or cattery equivalents for chickens.

You have to persuade/bribe someone to do all the work while you are away.

They only seem to be persuadable/bribeable once. :P

The motto is:

"Chickens are very hard work and not just a source of "free" eggs". :lol:

They ain,t very cuddly, either. :P

i've just got 4 maran hens myself and love it! i grew up with chickens and have missed them! it doesnt take too much work to look after them and if you enjoy them it's a pleasure to look after them. I think everyone should have afew chickens in their back garden if size allows! go for it i say! :P

Hammergun, even after you have given them names, realised that they are all different characters, nurtured them etc ? :P

My Wife would not allow it.

I gave them away to a Farmer friend, who kept 20 or so chickens and they lived happily ever after. :P

I am not against people keeping chickens.

But, like all livestock ownership, it brings responsibilities. :P

I have three Sussex Light chickens, they are great to keep, I do not find them hard work and I have never had a problem getting someone to pop in and check on them twice a day (at least with chickens they get a reward of eggs each day).

I would recommend them to anyone.

They do like to scratch around so I hope you don't like pretty grass, don't go for bantams as the eggs are too small for any use.

Mark

• 5 weeks later...

What the other guys have said is right...

1) Chickens destroy grass so don't keep them on your lawn

2) They are a responsibility. I have a mate who looks after mine when we

are away in return for the eggs.

3) The eggs are lovely, and you know where they have come from.

4) You do need to move the birds to fresh ground frequently.

We have "Warrens" a cross breed, which lay nice eggs virtually every day Summer and Winter. Buff Orpingtons are very easy birds to keep and give a beautiful big brown egg.

Regards

Eug