What Breakdown Service Would You Recommend ?

marsh man

I'm with Auto Aid and have been for a while.

They're not as good as they used to be - taken over an hour to get to my pregnant wife, and often 90 minutes to get to me. Oh, and one breakdown man advised me to drive my car with an odd grinding noise as he said it was just a stone in the brake - it was a broken spring, which caused more damage when I drove it! But their insurance paid up with no trouble, so over all still OK. They subcontract to local break down companies so service can be a bit variable.

Still pretty good though, for the money. Might try green flag next time if their cost is similar to Auto Aid.

Edited by sandspider

was  a gold card member of the AA for over 15 years used them twice in that time both times were a complete farce

1st time took us 9 hrs to get recovered about 40 miles

2nd time really p,d me off and was the reason I left ................... 14.5 hrs 7 recovery trucks to get us 204 miles and to really rub salt in when I rang in to cancel my membership I explained why and never got one word of an apology

joined rac and broke near to stanstead airport  (while collecting something form a PW member) they hired me a car to get home in and brought the ranger home the next day ..................... XLNT service

Broke down a few years back whilst covered by the AA - despite being registered as priority due to crucial medication needs they left me stranded for over 4 hours - they also left my heavily pregnant wife stranded a few years before when they failed to spot a cracked distributer cap on her car. By comparison, Surestart are about a third of the price and when I broke down last year (alternator failure) they rang me 3 times in the 20 minutes that it took for a mechanic to arrive to check that I was OK.

I switched from AA, as without changing, they tended to hike the price up if you auto renewed. Currently with RAC who are cheaper. Only had cause to call them out once when I stupidly left the curtesy light on at Gatwick airport and obviously upon my return from holiday had a flat battery. They were there in five minutes and knew before they arrived what I'd done as it is the most common reason for call out at airports. No doubt the quick response was due to them hanging around the vicinity for such call outs. 

OB