How to check if paying correct tax

ferguson_tom

Hi Everyone,

The tax office have had a habit of mucking up my tax since i changed jobs a few years ago and got a company car. Since then i keep having letters with rebates and then adjustments to my tax code a i have paid too little, i thought it was all about right until a few weeks ago when they have adjusted my tax code so much they are now adding "X" amount to my salary to claim back more supposidly owed tax.

I dont have all the previous letters so cant really check it myself (i will keep them from now on!!) but is there way of getting someone to look at things over the last 2.5 years to check everything is correct as i no longer trust HMRC calculations and this year has meant quite a big difference to my monthly income.

Thanks in advance, Tom

Hello Tom

Find yourself someone (not necessarily a Chartered accountant) to do your tax return.

I get charged less than 100 inc vat but it saves  lot of heartache .

Just get all details to them in September.  If you have got back tax to pay if you leave it too late they will be snowed under and you may miss a deadline

Cheers Gdadphil

It usually all 'comes out correctly in the wash', but after many many odd changes and letters as all the dribs and drabs of information come to them.  Unless you believe you are owed a lot, you may be better just to wait it out.  Their system is bizarre, slow, inefficient and complex, but usually gets to the right result in the end.  If you try and speed up the process it can work, but it can also result in a lot of 'backwards and forwards'.  It keeps them all in employment (there are thousands of them, and accountants play along as every letter is a source of income for them.

I had the same issue with the changing of tax codes on a monthly basis. 

In then end I owed a few £k and they wanted it back (after they had sorted out the correct coding eventually)

i appealed due to the length of time it had taken (3 years nearly) for it to be written off. I had 4 pages of references with letter dates and recorded delivery numbers along with telephone call times and the offer of providing the recordings ....

decision came back...... still to be paid as you didn’t make enough of an effort to inform us and the onus is on the payer (I had sent over 50 letters) 

to add insult to injury they had looked through all my tax from the very first day I started working and found that over 25 years aside from the big sum I owed pennies and the odd pound from previous years. They added that to the bill!

they did kindly inform me that it wasn’t chased before as it was pennies but now they had looked into it they could add them all into the lump sum.... aside from a year when they owed me a pound or so.... sorry sir we can’t rebate you as it was too long ago. We can chase you from day 1 but you can only chase us for x amount of years. 

Thanks everyone, i am not worried about paying it and sure it will all settle down eventually but would rather get it sorted sooner rather than later as the constant changes are having quite a big effect on my monthly nett income and making budgeting difficult and i am nervous making any new purchases in case they change it again!

The other year ( think it was either 2017 or 2016) was when HMRC introduced a new ‘forward looking’ piece of software that looks at your most recent earnings and does a forward projection on this to determine your future Tax liabilities.

We found this out due to the fact that we receive a Bonus payment from work every April, the systems looks at the average earnings for a couple of months and thinks were on double our usual Salary and alters the Coding Notices accordingly- quick phone call ( never waited more than a couple of mins holding) and it’s all sorted.

So as you say, it will settle down/ adjust itself- just not so good seeing your monthly vary so much.

To be fair to HMRC I have always found them easy to deal with, they have rectified mistakes quickly and refunded overpayments promptly, with interest. But that was PAYE. I bet it's different now that I run my own Ltd company!

9 hours ago, AVB said:

To be fair to HMRC I have always found them easy to deal with, they have rectified mistakes quickly and refunded overpayments promptly, with interest. But that was PAYE. I bet it's different now that I run my own Ltd company!

Actually I found it easier as a Ltd than as PAYE as everything is more transparent and you want to understand it all! As PAYE you get a payslip and you've no idea really if your take home is correct after pensions and any benefits etc, you just accept it. 

I found them a nightmare. I used to have a higher allowance because of a lot of expenses. I informed them numerous times when I finished this job, yet they kept messing up my code. 

Come end of this tax year send me a letter sayzing I owe them - £1400. Then they took another 6 months to change my code, by which time I owed them even more. Then when I spoke to someone else I owed them less than the original amount! ?‍♂️ 

They don’t seem to have a clue what they’re doing! 

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I found them a nightmare. I used to have a higher allowance because of a lot of expenses. I informed them numerous times when I finished this job, yet they kept messing up my code. 

Come end of this tax year send me a letter sayzing I owe them - £1400. Then they took another 6 months to change my code, by which time I owed them even more. Then when I spoke to someone else I owed them less than the original amount! ?‍♂️ 

They don’t seem to have a clue what they’re doing! 

Do you still do ‘Self Assessment’ ? Even if you don’t and you have interest from an account or PPI coming in then you can request to do so- this way your coding will be correct as the figures input are yours from your P11D and P60 end of year Certificates plus any additional claims you put in for.

Regarding over/ underpayment- yes they can be a bit of a nasty shock but if as you say that originally you were claiming an additional allowance and this was either not cancelled out soon enough by your new employers or used as a ‘part year’ claim then it’s entirely possibly to have a bill for £1400