Sign in to follow this  
oldypigeonpopper

VINTAGE FISHING TACKLE, any PW member use ??

hello, i was wondering if any member likes using the above, this would be river fishing as i have just had returned a very old hand made  HEX cane barbel type rod with fibreglass top and a nice centrepin reel made in Weymouth Dorset by Grice and Young, the Avon Royal,  both about 50 years old, not sure what there worth, any thought

A 2 to 4 oz Hardy Longbow a little over the 50 years. Fortunately, I've never needed long distance casting - fortunately because I've had a back injury which is older than the rod and which prevents me putting the proverbial back into it. What I do like though is for the hook and the bait to arrive in the same place at the same time and the action of this rod ensures that that is the case - well most of the time anyway.

12 hours ago, wymberley said:

A 2 to 4 oz Hardy Longbow a little over the 50 years. Fortunately, I've never needed long distance casting - fortunately because I've had a back injury which is older than the rod and which prevents me putting the proverbial back into it. What I do like though is for the hook and the bait to arrive in the same place at the same time and the action of this rod ensures that that is the case - well most of the time anyway.

thanks to reply

Digressing a bit but as it's just the two of us no one will be any the wiser. Went to Crewkerne yesterday as some visiting family members wanted to visit a particular outlet - Antigues Bazaar or some-such. Found 2 cracking fly reels, one Hardy and one Orvis both in superb condition. Trouble is, by then I was wheeling and dealing for a 1680 map of Leicestershire by Jan Jansson (got it) and a horn handled carving set by Jublim of Solingen (which I also got). There was also a very nice wooden gun cabinet and also an antique pine French gun (motor?) case. Bit suspicious the case though as we went to another antique outlet in the town and virtually the same box (just different catches) was there holding a croquet set! If I was a tad more local, I'd go back and have a look at the two reels especially the Hardy as it looked pristine.

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, thats ok to digress ?

i have a hardy marq 7 but prices  have gone done this last few years for hardy tackle, worth a phone call ? am going to sell the grice and young reel,  mint avon mk3 boxed and rod, might put on here. cheers

I don't use them myself but I have an elderly neighbour who has a huge collection of old cane rods.  He asked me if I could set up a new telly for him and I was amazed when I went into his house, it was a cross between a bomb site and a treasure trove - you could hardly move for trinkets and antiques of all shapes and sizes. In one room alone there must've been at least 50 split cane rods, all in original bags. After sorting the tv out I asked if I could take a look and we spent a good hour taking a few out of their bags, they were mostly in immaculate condition and probably hadn't (and probably won't again) seen the light of day for donkeys.  It was really great to see them, but it was also a shame to know they will just sit there.   When I left, he offered me money for sorting the tv out, which I declined, I did half jokingly (with my fingers crossed) suggest I'd take a hardy as payment - his response was a wink and a smile which was probably a the firmest most definite sod off I've ever been told.

Edited by Jonty

this is my summer stalking kit 

carp to about 15lb are fun but knackering - now use a modern pin and a hardy 13ft float or 10ft avon dependent on fish present. I swapped as mid double carp can be uncontrollable on 1960's glass fibre rods  

2018-11-20 18_28_35-Window.png

1 hour ago, quentyn said:

this is my summer stalking kit 

carp to about 15lb are fun but knackering - now use a modern pin and a hardy 13ft float or 10ft avon dependent on fish present. I swapped as mid double carp can be uncontrollable on 1960's glass fibre rods  

2018-11-20 18_28_35-Window.png

hello, nice set up there👍