VINTAGE FISHING TACKLE, any PW member use ??

oldypigeonpopper

hello, i was wondering if any member likes using the above, this would be river fishing as i have just had returned a very old hand made  HEX cane barbel type rod with fibreglass top and a nice centrepin reel made in Weymouth Dorset by Grice and Young, the Avon Royal,  both about 50 years old, not sure what there worth, any thought

A 2 to 4 oz Hardy Longbow a little over the 50 years. Fortunately, I've never needed long distance casting - fortunately because I've had a back injury which is older than the rod and which prevents me putting the proverbial back into it. What I do like though is for the hook and the bait to arrive in the same place at the same time and the action of this rod ensures that that is the case - well most of the time anyway.

12 hours ago, wymberley said:

A 2 to 4 oz Hardy Longbow a little over the 50 years. Fortunately, I've never needed long distance casting - fortunately because I've had a back injury which is older than the rod and which prevents me putting the proverbial back into it. What I do like though is for the hook and the bait to arrive in the same place at the same time and the action of this rod ensures that that is the case - well most of the time anyway.

thanks to reply

Digressing a bit but as it's just the two of us no one will be any the wiser. Went to Crewkerne yesterday as some visiting family members wanted to visit a particular outlet - Antigues Bazaar or some-such. Found 2 cracking fly reels, one Hardy and one Orvis both in superb condition. Trouble is, by then I was wheeling and dealing for a 1680 map of Leicestershire by Jan Jansson (got it) and a horn handled carving set by Jublim of Solingen (which I also got). There was also a very nice wooden gun cabinet and also an antique pine French gun (motor?) case. Bit suspicious the case though as we went to another antique outlet in the town and virtually the same box (just different catches) was there holding a croquet set! If I was a tad more local, I'd go back and have a look at the two reels especially the Hardy as it looked pristine.

• 1 month later...

I don't use them myself but I have an elderly neighbour who has a huge collection of old cane rods.  He asked me if I could set up a new telly for him and I was amazed when I went into his house, it was a cross between a bomb site and a treasure trove - you could hardly move for trinkets and antiques of all shapes and sizes. In one room alone there must've been at least 50 split cane rods, all in original bags. After sorting the tv out I asked if I could take a look and we spent a good hour taking a few out of their bags, they were mostly in immaculate condition and probably hadn't (and probably won't again) seen the light of day for donkeys.  It was really great to see them, but it was also a shame to know they will just sit there.   When I left, he offered me money for sorting the tv out, which I declined, I did half jokingly (with my fingers crossed) suggest I'd take a hardy as payment - his response was a wink and a smile which was probably a the firmest most definite sod off I've ever been told.

Edited by Jonty

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, quentyn said:

this is my summer stalking kit 

carp to about 15lb are fun but knackering - now use a modern pin and a hardy 13ft float or 10ft avon dependent on fish present. I swapped as mid double carp can be uncontrollable on 1960's glass fibre rods  

2018-11-20 18_28_35-Window.png

hello, nice set up there👍

• 1 month later...
On 20/11/2018 at 18:34, quentyn said:

this is my summer stalking kit 

carp to about 15lb are fun but knackering - now use a modern pin and a hardy 13ft float or 10ft avon dependent on fish present. I swapped as mid double carp can be uncontrollable on 1960's glass fibre rods  

2018-11-20 18_28_35-Window.png

Try a 26lb mirror hooked in the tail on a 1 1/4 Avon and pin. Landed it though.

Edited by Penelope

i have a collection of old salmon and trout rods made by Forrest& Son...Kelso...will take some pics and post them up some time..........about 20 years ago i was offered really silly money for them....the American market was desperate for them............now they are worth a fraction of the price offered then............story of my life :lol:

10 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i have a collection of old salmon and trout rods made by Forrest& Son...Kelso...will take some pics and post them up some time..........about 20 years ago i was offered really silly money for them....the American market was desperate for them............now they are worth a fraction of the price offered then............story of my life :lol:

hello, they also liked anything vintage Hardy, would be nice to see those photos Simon 

8 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, they also liked anything vintage Hardy, would be nice to see those photos Simon 

i will take some pics of them in the next couple of days..............i bought them for £ 1 /10s a long while ago from a big house sale the estate of Captain J.H.K.Kydd....i think im not sure but one of the trout rods may have belonged to HRH Prince of Wales as it has 3 feathers engraved all over it...or it may be a makers mark.....

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/01/2019 at 17:49, ditchman said:

i will take some pics of them in the next couple of days..............i bought them for £ 1 /10s a long while ago from a big house sale the estate of Captain J.H.K.Kydd....i think im not sure but one of the trout rods may have belonged to HRH Prince of Wales as it has 3 feathers engraved all over it...or it may be a makers mark.....

hello simon, i checked those 3 feather rods out and found an old dated auction house selling one and prescribed as once owned by HRH

this is what i was talking about....really difficult to get a macr pic of the engraving ..but you can just see it...........

this is part of a set of rods i bought ...when i was maybe 10 or 11 years old at an auction....i think i bid under 2 quid for the lot....

• 2 salmon rods
  • 2 stream rods
  • 1 lake rod

think they are "greenheart"??

the pics are of the river /lake rod......all the other rods are marked "Forrest&Son"  Kelso............thyis rod is not marked 'cept for the patent number and the engravings

trout rod 001tn_.JPG

trout rod 002tn_.JPG

trout rod 003tn_.JPG

trout rod 004tn_.JPG

trout rod 005tn_.JPG

trout rod 006tn_.JPG

trout rod 007tn_.JPG

trout rod 008tn_.JPG

trout rod 009tn_.JPG

trout rod 010tn_.JPG

trout rod 011tn_.JPG

trout rod 012tn_.JPG

trout rod 013tn_.JPG

hello, nice photos simon thanks to show on PW, i think your right on greenheart, the 3 feather rod with a patent number could be an early Hardy rod, you could send a email to Hardy at Alnwick www.hardyfishing.co.uk there is a phone number and email, if you google forest and son of Kelso fishing rods you will find some good info on rods sold at Auction

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/01/2019 at 17:25, ditchman said:

i have a collection of old salmon and trout rods made by Forrest& Son...Kelso...will take some pics and post them up some time..........about 20 years ago i was offered really silly money for them....the American market was desperate for them............now they are worth a fraction of the price offered then............story of my life 

Hi Simon I spent a lot of my time in my pre and early teen years looking through the window of  Forrest and Sons at 35 Market Square in Kelso. The then proprietor Drew Porteous was a nephew of the last Forrest in the business and was patience itself with juvenile anglers buying a few yards of nylon and a dozen worm hooks.   I have before me a  Forrest catalogue with 1921 hand written on the cover.  Some prices from the same.  The Grosvenor split cane salmon fly rod 17ft 3 piece £18 ,Greenheart Salmon fly rod 19ft £8  " 15s ,   The Hanover split cane  dry fly rod 10 ft 6 inch £9 GrEenheart spinning rod 9ft £5  "  2s..   Forrest and |Sons had a reputation for quality tackle as far as  I can discern.  Sadly the firm is long gone after a spell as a branch of John Dickson and through several independent owners since.

bLACKPOWDER

34 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

Hi Simon I spent a lot of my time in my pre and early teen years looking through the window of  Forrest and Sons at 35 Market Square in Kelso. The then proprietor Drew Porteous was a nephew of the last Forrest in the business and was patience itself with juvenile anglers buying a few yards of nylon and a dozen worm hooks.   I have before me a  Forrest catalogue with 1921 hand written on the cover.  Some prices from the same.  The Grosvenor split cane salmon fly rod 17ft 3 piece £18 ,Greenheart Salmon fly rod 19ft £8  " 15s ,   The Hanover split cane  dry fly rod 10 ft 6 inch £9 GrEenheart spinning rod 9ft £5  "  2s..   Forrest and |Sons had a reputation for quality tackle as far as  I can discern.  Sadly the firm is long gone after a spell as a branch of John Dickson and through several independent owners since.

bLACKPOWDER

interesting..................the salmon rods i have by Forrest&Son...............are very long....one is 19ft and the other 16ft........you need to be a leviathon to use them...they are in perfect condition...with brass ferrulls and gutta percha pommel..........and not a kink in them...they also are complete with stoppers to stop grit getting into the joints.....

oh....and i have the star back reels for them as well

Edited by ditchman

6 hours ago, ditchman said:

interesting..................the salmon rods i have by Forrest&Son...............are very long....one is 19ft and the other 16ft........you need to be a leviathon to use them...they are in perfect condition...with brass ferrulls and gutta percha pommel..........and not a kink in them...they also are complete with stoppers to stop grit getting into the joints.....

oh....and i have the star back reels for them as well

When men were men, no Vegans! I fished for a while with a 16 Ft Hard HI Regan, steel centred cane, I seem to remember it weighed 16oz, it wasn,t too bad if you let the rod do the work, but still gave me the aches

1 minute ago, guzzicat said:

When men were men, no Vegans! I fished for a while with a 16 Ft Hard HI Regan, steel centred cane, I seem to remember it weighed 16oz, it wasn,t too bad if you let the rod do the work, but still gave me the aches

christ 16oz !!.....................that sounds a lieghtweight version :lol:...i will get my big one out and weigh it......:w00t:

• 1 month later...