VINTAGE FISHING TACKLE, any PW member use ??

oldypigeonpopper

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/04/2019 at 17:37, greenshank1 said:

IMG_4498.JPG

hello, try contacting Hardy at Alnwick they would have details of age and such like, as for value i would suggest around a £100

21 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

As I dislike the modern drag fly reels I do all my fly fishing using 2 Shakespeare Condex and Ditto Beaudex salmon fly reels.    Little to go wrong with them and paid £15 each for them on E bay 10 years ago.

Blackpowder

hello, i know what you mean, i use an old hardy on my cane rod, i still have a speedex but do not use much, it is ideal for a shooting head line on farmoor  

8 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, try contacting Hardy at Alnwick they would have details of age and such like, as for value i would suggest around a £100

hello, i know what you mean, i use an old hardy on my cane rod, i still have a speedex but do not use much, it is ideal for a shooting head line on farmoor  

What I mentioned earlier was  salmon fly reels, I sort of dont know how many Shakespeare trout reels I have certainly one Speedex and at least three others.

Blackpowder

2 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Ive got a few ABU 6000 and 6500,'s dating from the 70's knocking about,  sadly the rods i made up that went with them have been cut down broken or gifted

hello, classic fishing reels i had an early shimano beach reel, it had no level winder, i could never get on with it so went back to a large fixed spooled sea reel, at that time there were a lot of competitions distance casting, use to shop in Allans Marine tackle shop in Portsmouth, Ian Gold started his company about then, use to love beach fishing, be to cold now for an oldy those winter night tides  

14 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, classic fishing reels i had an early shimano beach reel, it had no level winder, i could never get on with it so went back to a large fixed spooled sea reel, at that time there were a lot of competitions distance casting, use to shop in Allans Marine tackle shop in Portsmouth, Ian Gold started his company about then, use to love beach fishing, be to cold now for an oldy those winter night tides  

Started with a 9ft pier rod, solid glass with a wooden handle [imagine an old bluefin tuna rod but heavier] it seemed adequate for the two dabs that I caught in my first 5 yrs of sea fishing,   progressed to a hollow glass 11ft beachcaster and Intrepid seastreak, this was OK for the whiting and codling of the late sixties off of Walton pier, [I well remember one Sunday in November when it was worked out that a total of 3 ton of cod were caught by the assorted anglers.] Progressed to the 6000's and ABU 464 rods and night fishing on the steep shingle beaches of Suffolk, Later bought tournament casting blanks and fished for the elusive Cod. After a few years in N Wales catching fine Bass on light Bass rods I moved to the Hebrides where i now mainly fish for large pollack [to double figures] with a spinning rod 

DSCN9544.JPG.4f4291b84a6f3f6a1fef4381a4850307.JPG

5 hours ago, Saltings said:

I still prefer split cane rods lay the fly down softly and more natural for trout and salmon  tried others makes and models and still go fishing with a split cane rod , don't have the latest gear to catch fish may be me but I like hand made rods 

hello, i have 2 split cane rods made in china, 2 silk lines made in china and one of the last to be made in England before the factory moved to France  

I use some old vintage gear when the fit takes me and i feel nostalgic and use a 40 year old Patec morten big old aluminium buted back casting shore rod, and a abu 501 reel low on the but.

i do use a Abu 484 which is over 50 years old and showing its age, but still doing its thing., i have a Cane shore rod and use Alvey reel on that, and i sometimes use a Alvey casting reel on a modified greys jupiter i have for that very purpose.

Many people accumulate fishing rods and other tackle over many years of angling, I know I have!.......In time, if it's quality, it all becomes collectible! I have several Hardy Palakona cane fly and spinning rods.......none have seen a river/still water for many years! 

Must have a clearout!..........Soon 🤔........ Or the missus will likely chuck the lot in a skip, when I turn my toes up! Lol!

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 08:55, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i have 2 split cane rods made in china, 2 silk lines made in china and one of the last to be made in England before the factory moved to France  

got a few Chinese rods also few no name cane rods / cane  boat rods  /cane spinning rods /pike and salmon etc     graphite  and fiberglass  inc greenheart rods also carbon fibre rods still prefer cane or graphite rods  as  they flex all the way to the handle  a softer action  I often hear oh is that your grandads gear with a smile I say yes look at their faces later I have fish I say grandad taught me well