Weaver rails

Old boy

Hmmmm probably won’t be exactly at zero but will be very close if you use decent components. Certainly closer than using the dovetails. 

If you use cheap or copy weaver/picatinny rails and then cheap picatinny mounts it’s no different than using cheap mounts on a dovetail. 

I ONLY use Picatinny signature zee Burris mounts and where possible one piece picatinny rails. 

There's a difference between weaver and picatinny rails. I believe the picatinny is the current incarnation and weaver accessories will fit on a picatinny rail but doesn't always work in reverse. What I'm trying to get to is you'd probably be better off fitting a picatinny rail than a weaver.

14 hours ago, manthing said:

There's a difference between weaver and picatinny rails. I believe the picatinny is the current incarnation and weaver accessories will fit on a picatinny rail but doesn't always work in reverse. What I'm trying to get to is you'd probably be better off fitting a picatinny rail than a weaver.

You are right they are different. 

Weaver rails are 22m wide and slightly less angled facets (IIRC 40*) at each side and only have one or 2 slots cut in the top for mount bars. It was patented by Weaver optics, but had a few different incarnations. Including earlier ones had a rounded bottom in the slot recess. 

The picatinny rail or (USA) MIL-STD-1913 rail is 22mm wide with 45* facets and has as many slots as turrets (all the same die mentions) along its entire length, to accept a variety of sighting, ergonomic and sighting systems. It was initially produced exclusively for the US military in a plant in Picatinny New Jersey, it’s dimensions were an average of Weaver accessories, and is now the US military std and has been adopted by civvy street. 

Hence weaver accessories will mostly fit a pic, although Pic accessories may not fit weaver rails as some of the slots in weaver rails are not as wide or deep as the Pic rail. 

Does that help? 

Edited by The Burpster
Typo

10 hours ago, The Burpster said:

You are right they are different. 

Weaver rails are 22m wide and slightly less angled facets (IIRC 40*) at each side and only have one or 2 slots cut in the top for mount bars. It was patented by Weaver optics, but had a few different incarnations. Including earlier ones had a rounded bottom in the slot recess. 

The picatinny rail or (USA) MIL-STD-1913 rail is 22mm wide with 45* facets and has as many slots as turrets (all the same die mentions) along its entire length, to accept a variety of sighting, ergonomic and sighting systems. It was initially produced exclusively for the US military in a plant in Picatinny New Jersey, it’s dimensions were an average of Weaver accessories, and is now the US military std and has been adopted by civvy street. 

Hence weaver accessories will mostly fit a pic, although Pic accessories may not fit weaver rails as some of the slots in weaver rails are not as wide or deep as the Pic rail. 

Does that help? 

Without all the actual facts you've included, swot I sed init? Lol?

7 hours ago, manthing said:

Without all the actual facts you've included, swot I sed init? Lol?

Yes pretty much ?.  but the PW massive pick holes in simple statements so I have found it easier to clarify them! 

I am a huge fan of Pic rails and mounts and all my long guns (except the M3) have them fitted including air rifles, I just feel if folks understand them better they will be less likely to be negative about them.