Browning maxus

Farmboy91

Had a composite for a while. Worked faultlessly, but I couldn't hit anything with it (obviously me, not the gun).
However, it was a pain to clean with loads of carbon in the trigger mechanism all the time...
Swapped for a Beretta A400 Xcel sporting black and never looked back!

16 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Just a heads up which probably won't affect you, but did me big time, you might have to be a tad careful with your choice of ammo if you're going to use fibre wads as, as you're probably aware, the barrel is back-bored.

Please explain.....

10 minutes ago, moor man said:

Please explain.....

I had the top of the range model and couldn't fault it once I'd bought a couple of extra shims to overcome the 'just the one of each' problem when you buy the gun. No 2 step-son has it now. I decided on a change from my usual Rottweil fibre wadded cartridges - these do actually have a plastic obturator -  and bought 2000 of a brand which we on PW are familiar with. I understand that there is ongoing debate about fibre wads and barrel back-boring with which I have no intention of getting involved. Hopefully the nature of the post which I'm attempting to explain is indicative of this. However, my shooting oppo, an acquaintance and another PW Westcountry member who each bought some of those 2000 - but only once they and I were satisfied that all was well when put through their guns -  can testify to the unmitigated disaster these were through the Maxus and its back-bored barrel.

I trust that the post in question reflects no more than a simple note of caution as was its intention.

I have a new one bought a few months ago, used fiber wads through it with no problems at all. Eley 28G and Express English Sporters. The new trigger mechanism has not been a problem getting mucked up with powder or bits of fiber wadding. its strips down faster than the Benelli M2 i had. Yes it takes longer to clean but not as long as the beretta auto i had.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

I had the top of the range model and couldn't fault it once I'd bought a couple of extra shims to overcome the 'just the one of each' problem when you buy the gun. No 2 step-son has it now. I decided on a change from my usual Rottweil fibre wadded cartridges - these do actually have a plastic obturator -  and bought 2000 of a brand which we on PW are familiar with. I understand that there is ongoing debate about fibre wads and barrel back-boring with which I have no intention of getting involved. Hopefully the nature of the post which I'm attempting to explain is indicative of this. However, my shooting oppo, an acquaintance and another PW Westcountry member who each bought some of those 2000 - but only once they and I were satisfied that all was well when put through their guns -  can testify to the unmitigated disaster these were through the Maxus and its back-bored barrel.

I trust that the post in question reflects no more than a simple note of caution as was its intention.

Thanks for the heads up on that ? 

25 minutes ago, figgy said:

I have a new one bought a few months ago, used fiber wads through it with no problems at all. Eley 28G and Express English Sporters. The new trigger mechanism has not been a problem getting mucked up with powder or bits of fiber wadding. its strips down faster than the Benelli M2 i had. Yes it takes longer to clean but not as long as the beretta auto i had.

I did look at an m2 at the same time as the beretta but didn't want to spend that much at the time. 

I'm still half tempted to just get an a612 but I saw the browning in a magazine the other day and the local. Rfd has had one come in, in the last couple days. 

I've a Maxus Carbon Fibre Composite. It was my favourite gun and was bought around 2011 and I estimate it's had around 12,000 - 13,000 shells through it. Within the first year of ownership it fired off a shell as it was being loaded ( the bolt mechanism going forward towards the barrel) Luckily the shell was fully enclosed in the barrel and pointed in a safe direction.

Fast forward until two weeks ago and it did it again at the same clay ground. This time however the end of the shell was only just inside the barrel  and the main force of the shell went off out of the side of the receiver (massive flash & bang) into my face as I loaded the first cartridge. Luckily no harm to myself, though I have had a constant ring in my ears since (was wearing hearing protection) and it has bent the carrier inside the receiver with possibly more damage to the internals.

I have read that there is a free floating firing pin in the Maxus (no pin return spring), so can only presume this was sticking out as the bolt mechanism came toward the cartridge and set it off. 

Shell 2 resize.JPG

Carrier resize.JPG

6 hours ago, wymberley said:

Just a heads up which probably won't affect you, but did me big time, you might have to be a tad careful with your choice of ammo if you're going to use fibre wads as, as you're probably aware, the barrel is back-bored.

Use loads of fibre clay and game loads through mine without problems. 

Grand guns, fill your boots and get one.

Bought one composite model when they first came out used it for wildfowling for bout 5 years then started having problems with the inside of the barrel Pitting started to appear i cleaned and oiled the gun after getting home after every outing The trigger started getting heavy as well brought it to gunsmith who told me that browning in USA Were having problems with some models with certain serial numbers on them I Ended up trading it in when the new A5 Came out

14 hours ago, barrie0 said:

I've a Maxus Carbon Fibre Composite. It was my favourite gun and was bought around 2011 and I estimate it's had around 12,000 - 13,000 shells through it. Within the first year of ownership it fired off a shell as it was being loaded ( the bolt mechanism going forward towards the barrel) Luckily the shell was fully enclosed in the barrel and pointed in a safe direction.

Fast forward until two weeks ago and it did it again at the same clay ground. This time however the end of the shell was only just inside the barrel  and the main force of the shell went off out of the side of the receiver (massive flash & bang) into my face as I loaded the first cartridge. Luckily no harm to myself, though I have had a constant ring in my ears since (was wearing hearing protection) and it has bent the carrier inside the receiver with possibly more damage to the internals.

I have read that there is a free floating firing pin in the Maxus (no pin return spring), so can only presume this was sticking out as the bolt mechanism came toward the cartridge and set it off. 

Shell 2 resize.JPG

Carrier resize.JPG

Thats scary. 

13 hours ago, grahamch said:

Use loads of fibre clay and game loads through mine without problems. 

Grand guns, fill your boots and get one.

12 hours ago, mudpatten said:

Without prejudice, but an observation. An acquaintance of mine had one from new. The mag spring broke within weeks. Then the end cap jammed on and both were repaired under warranty, then the replacement end cap broke within a couple of months.

He got rid of it.

I suppose minor things can be just luck of the draw, 

11 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Bought one composite model when they first came out used it for wildfowling for bout 5 years then started having problems with the inside of the barrel Pitting started to appear i cleaned and oiled the gun after getting home after every outing The trigger started getting heavy as well brought it to gunsmith who told me that browning in USA Were having problems with some models with certain serial numbers on them I Ended up trading it in when the new A5 Came out

Thanks, I'll have a good check over anything second hand I look at, hopefully will get the chance to look at one today. 

8 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Thats scary. 

Yes, was at the time. Bit p*$£$d off with the situation to be honest, but also feel lucky as it could have been worse. Have emailed Browning.Com and also messaged Browning EU (only contacts details I could find)  - none of which  have replied. So may say something about their aftercare?

One of the blokes who I shoot with also bought one three years ago and after cycling a round, he pulled the trigger and it never went off. The bolt was locked solid against the live cartridge and in the end he had to disassemble the gun with a live round in the barrel. He got rid of it shortly after. It was only three months old at the time.

On 29/08/2018 at 17:42, Farmboy91 said:

Who's got one? 

Feel like it's time to treat myself and possibly upgrade the A303 to something a bit newer and lighter. Would be buying s/h so obviously reliability is important, would be looking at 28" either black or camo 3".

You may consider the sx3,i have had three up to now,and they are great guns,you can pick one up for a reasonable price.

8 hours ago, barrie0 said:

Thats the type of story that makes me not want to touch one with a 10ft barge pole. 

6 hours ago, browning123 said:

I bought a new Maxus last week and it's got the black composite stock and forend, I used it on clays this week shooting about a hundred cartridges with no problems and little recoil using 28g cartridges - I really like the gun.

I looked at one of them today, along with a wood one, it did feel the part, lovely and light. 

5 hours ago, gemini52 said:

You may consider the sx3,i have had three up to now,and they are great guns,you can pick one up for a reasonable price.

Just out of interest have you had three because they've been used and abused or they are fragile? 

No offence intended at all its just I know everyone uses their guns differently. 

21 minutes ago, Houseplant said:

I've had a camo Maxus for 2 years, no problems. Lovely gun to hold/shoulder and I tried a few. 

Found exactly that with the ones I looked. 

Thanks everyone for the opinions. 

I bought my first sx3 about ten years ago and to be fair i shot well with it and it was faultless,i just got bored and fancied something different,had a couple of berettas they went the same way,i did buy a maxus in the wood and to be honest it didnt do it for me,i was using it on a clay shoot one sunday when the spring that sits in the forend broke,the bits damaged the action,sent it back to browning and they gave me a brand new gun,i kept it for a bit then sold it to a mate he had it a short time and sold it on,the second sx3 was a composite which i had for over a year and partexed it for a benelli, that was a big mistake,a nice gun but the recoil was an issue so that was partexed for a sx3 sporter which for me has to be the best auto i have had up to now,hopefully it a keeper but who knows

58 minutes ago, gemini52 said:

I bought my first sx3 about ten years ago and to be fair i shot well with it and it was faultless,i just got bored and fancied something different,had a couple of berettas they went the same way,i did buy a maxus in the wood and to be honest it didnt do it for me,i was using it on a clay shoot one sunday when the spring that sits in the forend broke,the bits damaged the action,sent it back to browning and they gave me a brand new gun,i kept it for a bit then sold it to a mate he had it a short time and sold it on,the second sx3 was a composite which i had for over a year and partexed it for a benelli, that was a big mistake,a nice gun but the recoil was an issue so that was partexed for a sx3 sporter which for me has to be the best auto i have had up to now,hopefully it a keeper but who knows

Swapping around is something I want try and avoid if I can, hoping to find something that isn't overly heavy and fits me well ill have a look into the sx3 too, 

Thanks for your opinion 

22 hours ago, WelshAndy said:

Stick with beretta... my xtrema is 10 years old this year - solid and reliable. 

Don't get me wrong the A303 is in no way a bad gun, its rough as poundland toilet roll but it will cycle anything from 24g upwards but I'm just starting to find it a bit weighty, + with the chamber length I can't put hp steel through it.

20 hours ago, KB1 said:

I would imagine there'll be mixed reviews about any gun you care to mention, however, I've had a Maxus for about 10 years now and I would reccomend it all day long......

On the whole, Browning guns are pretty damn reliable:good:

Yeah that's how it goes, just thought I'd put the word out to the lads and ladies who use them and see what the general word was.