Nissan Terrano

johnnytheboy

Just picked one of these up, needs a back axle but everything looks ok apart from that, anyone else cruising in a terrano? 

Any hints or tips, things to look out for on these old trucks? Limited slip diff on rear axle should be good, not get stuck on wet grass like a modern £30k pick up ??

Edited by johnnytheboy

Front droplinks fail annually other than that they rarely go wrong other than rust as you would expect. Around the bolt you can see on the rear inner wheel arch is favourite. MOT fail as that bolt is the seatbelt anchor point.

Droplinks are £10-15 a pair and are DIY.

Another thing to startle you will be the alarming noise it makes on full lock sometimes. If you look at rear of front hub you can see a big bolt head. The noise is that rubbing on the stop. Perfectly normal and nowt to worry about. Grease it if you feel you must (I never have)

Edited by 39TDS

If it's the 2.7, once you've got it on the road, consider getting it remapped. I had mine done and it absolutely transformed it. Much more responsive and increased the mpg. 

I never had much trouble with mine, sailed through 2 Mots  no problems. I understand the instrument panel can give a few issues and the easiest thing to do is replace them. Mine used to drain the battery if it was left for more than a few days, but if yours is in daily use that shouldn't be a problem.

On 30/08/2018 at 20:15, adzyvilla said:

If it's the 2.7, once you've got it on the road, consider getting it remapped. I had mine done and it absolutely transformed it. Much more responsive and increased the mpg. 

I never had much trouble with mine, sailed through 2 Mots  no problems. I understand the instrument panel can give a few issues and the easiest thing to do is replace them. Mine used to drain the battery if it was left for more than a few days, but if yours is in daily use that shouldn't be a problem.

Where did you get it mapped about? 

Instrument panel is good thankfully, I’m not going to use it daily so I ordered a solar panel that straps onto the backside of the sun visor just in case, thanks for that info ?

On 30/08/2018 at 07:18, 39TDS said:

Front droplinks fail annually other than that they rarely go wrong other than rust as you would expect. Around the bolt you can see on the rear inner wheel arch is favourite. MOT fail as that bolt is the seatbelt anchor point.

Droplinks are £10-15 a pair and are DIY.

Another thing to startle you will be the alarming noise it makes on full lock sometimes. If you look at rear of front hub you can see a big bolt head. The noise is that rubbing on the stop. Perfectly normal and nowt to worry about. Grease it if you feel you must (I never have)

Checked the rear arches today and they are ok, so I scrubbed the full inner arch with soap and a brush, I’ll coat the full thing up with dinitrol to protect that bolt if it’s a vulnerable area, just waiting for that to dry. 

I heard that tbh! I wondered what it was, the front end sits down slightly so I was going to adjust up the torsion bars and check out what the noise was but you answered that, thank you?

6 hours ago, johnnytheboy said:

Where did you get it mapped about? 

Instrument panel is good thankfully, I’m not going to use it daily so I ordered a solar panel that straps onto the backside of the sun visor just in case, thanks for that info ?

Checked the rear arches today and they are ok, so I scrubbed the full inner arch with soap and a brush, I’ll coat the full thing up with dinitrol to protect that bolt if it’s a vulnerable area, just waiting for that to dry. 

I heard that tbh! I wondered what it was, the front end sits down slightly so I was going to adjust up the torsion bars and check out what the noise was but you answered that, thank you?

It was a local place in Norwich. Google terrano stage 1 tune and you should find somewhere in your area. It was £249 from memory, but will probably be more cos that was 7 or 8 years ago.

Is the axle just leaking through the metal on the diff? I had a Discovery which seeped oil through the metal - I refused to believe my eyes when I first saw it. I had a plate welded over the rear of the diff. I understand that Landrover axles were cast and then the rear of the diff was punched to make it stick out more - giving clearance for the diff- but this rendered the metal wafer thin.