Venom Tuning

L.C.

Are you looking for power or better accuracy? The TX200 is already very accurate. I own the TX200HC .22 and gives me 1 hole groups at 10 yards and 1/2 inch groups at 25 yards. The trigger can be adjusted to achieve better accuracy. I am going to do that on mine since the trigger pull is heavy and I feel a lighter pull will help in accuracy.

The Venom Power kit stage one can be purchased, this should bring the FPE of the gun to 18, mine does around 16FPE with RWS superdomes.

Buying the Apex seal from James Maccari will also result in a little increase of power, but you have to use the FAC spring and not the volcanix spring which will make the gun smoother but not more powerful, this tune is good for people interested in FT.

I prefer to have power, because I use it for hunting, and as you can see from my groups the gun is accurate enough, will benefit more in the accuracy department after a trigger tune.

Yeah I have done a google search but all I got was reviews about rifles that have been upgraded. I think I will be tuning the accuracy (maybe at a later date when I get more money) as I am too young for a firearms certificate and the gun is full legal power I think. What accuracy upgrades are available? Will they make much difference? And what does a lazaglide upgrade involve?

I have been looking around for some time to buy an air rifle and decided to buy a springer or gas ram (pcp sounds too expensive and fiddly). After looking at lots of different models I narrowed it down to weihrauch hw97 hw90 and air arms tx200. I have settled on buying the air arms as it sounds a much better gun although both have good reviews. Would you say this is a good choice? I am also considering the hawke airmax scope (5.5-16 x 44 i think) is this a good scope?Or are there any better? (ideally less than £100) And what mounts should I use?

Forums like this are great for begginers like me and your advice is much appreciated

the tx200 is generally considered to be one of the best springers about, the 97 is good but like most weihrauchs there is room for improvement as they can be a little "rough round the edges" out of the box. This possably explanes why the 97 responds better/ more noticably to tuning ( there is more room for improvement). It is really down to you, what you want to do with it, how much you want to spend after the initial outlay etc. :P

L.C.:

just like Neil said, is up to you how much you want to spend. I bought a TX200HC .22 and will only do a trigger tune, not much for other type of improvement. I also have on order a HW97K in .22 that I will have tuned once I get it.

The lazaglide tune basically has buttons on the piston to make it smoother and also has Delrin bushings, which come standard with the TX200HC.

If you just want a gun that shoots perfect out of the box, you couldn't have made a better choice going for the TX200HC. Which caliber will you get? Also, are you getting the internal or external moderator? I have the internal one and is ok, not too loud, but you can still hear it. surprisingly my neighbors dogs don't bark, maybe they can't hear the muzzle report from the other side of the fence.

air arms make an external one I think. Also, you mentioned earlier that lazaglide tune has buttons on the piston and delrin bushings. As the air arms comes fitted with these as standard can you install buttons on the pistons to make it smoother and effectively "lazaglide" it?

L.C.

I have heard some people putting buttons to smooth out the TX200. I am sure in UK, Venom would have the lazaglide tune. You should check with them. I am from the US, unfortunately they only sell lazaglide tune for the HW97K and not for the TX200, not even the Venom Power Kit Stage one.

• 8 months later...
L.C.:

... I also have on order a HW97K in .22 that I will have tuned once I get it.

The lazaglide tune basically has buttons on the piston to make it smoother and also has Delrin bushings, which come standard with the TX200HC.

Hi Byhsu,

Did you eventually get your HW97K and have you had it Venom tuned? How's it going?

I have a HW97k myself (in .20 cal) and I had a Venom Stage 1 kit (DIY) fitted recently. I asked venom to send me the FAC rated stage 1 kit and I assume that it is an FAC rated kit that I got. The Venom spring was much shorter (about 27 coils) than the original main spring (about 34 coils).

The tune has improved accuracy seriously and eliminated the spring 'twang'. The gun is much smoother than before, shoots better and the cocking effort is much lighter.

The power is a little down though - the gun used to do about 14.0 ft/lbs (I don't live in the UK, so no legal problems here!), now it's doing about 11.6 - I expect power to increase as the gun settles in with more shots. The tune is still new (about two weeks old and I've only put less than 100 shots through it).

But I haven't seen improvements in shot-to-shot consistency - there are still wide variations. Also, the gun's action still sounds noisy to me when I'm shooting it (possibly because my ear rests close to the stock and the action). But with my wife standing about 20 meters down range and about 5 metter away from the target, she says the HW97k sounds as quiet as my AA S410k. She can only hear the sound of the pellet cutting the air and the noise of the target being hit.

The kit came with five steel power adjustment washers and I put all of them in. Are there any possible ill-effects of this that I should expect?

Anyone with opinions about this, it would be apprecited.

cheers

Zulu

• 2 years later...

hi LC,the tx 200, is pretty much already tuned, its got the rear synthetic bearing and is very accurate,and has better internal stability than the 77 /97out of the box, the 77/97 are rather unrefined, but dont let that put you off, some slight tweaks will tame the old chimney,and put it with the best,from then its simply a matter of taste,you can have the synthetic bearings put on the front of your piston too(tx200)like the pro sport,these refinements are the difference between out of the box tuned, and a hundred quid, or so,if your wanting power too, and opt for the tx go for the longer barrel,you will be able to wring the last bit of accuracy from it,,i dont know why but the 97 gets the ton spent on it every time ,but like i said personal,,maybe im just too much of a tight wad to see my 10 year old custom stock go to waste!!

• 9 months later...