Good pigeon bags

Davetyler

Hi guys 

I need some advice on pigeon shooting. Can anyone please help

I have 5 field with spuds, maze,cabbage lettuce and rape(cut 3 week ago and seen 5 pigeon)

I have seen pigeon fly down 1 hedge but near a road so cant shoot. About 400 yards there is a wooden fence with trees and pigeon seem to land. There is plenty of pigeon doo there but only seen a few. How can i get them to come closer for a shot. Im knocking them down but only in small numbers and not decoying (40_50 yards.  Thanks

1 hour ago, Davetyler said:

Hi guys 

I need some advice on pigeon shooting. Can anyone please help

I have 5 field with spuds, maze,cabbage lettuce and rape(cut 3 week ago and seen 5 pigeon)

I have seen pigeon fly down 1 hedge but near a road so cant shoot. About 400 yards there is a wooden fence with trees and pigeon seem to land. There is plenty of pigeon doo there but only seen a few. How can i get them to come closer for a shot. Im knocking them down but only in small numbers and not decoying (40_50 yards.  Thanks

You might get loads of advice , but without seeing your set up , lay of the land and any flight lines , it wouldn't really add up to much , your best bet is to study any field they are using , if they are using a particular field that is and then use the wind to your advantage .

I would say your Maze field seem the best bet , spud fields are not normally any good , lettuce is alright when the plants are small , same with Cabbages , and if you have only seen five pigeons on the rape stubble then I would give that a miss and hope the Maize will produce when it is cut over the next few weeks .

Thanks marsh, i have sat in the car for hours and shot since jan but neva seem to have many big bags. I will b goin sunday and see what the maze is like. There is a lot of pigeon but not on my perm. I walked over and clapd them off so i could get some sport. Yhat wotked a couple of times then they dissapeared.

Watch the field and if you see twenty plus in half an hour drop in one specific spot thats the place to set up with you decoys and hide. Do it quickly as to not spook the flightline and you should have some sport wait till you shoot five and leave the hide quickly and put them out as decoys on spikes or cradles. After thirty plus only pick up after ten shot and put out again, fifty plus decoys will pull more birds if they are around, good luck.

Thamks for the comments i think u have it all wrong. Bag for life for pigeons dont work that well. 

Best thing is original morrisons bags with holes in work a treat cant buy now so quite rare but really good good strong handles and made 2 last. Can even double bag them if you get big numbers of pigeon and rabbit. Ive carried dear in these too. i have 100 for sale at 15 quid each ?lol

• 4 weeks later...

I've converted a carp landing net to carry what I do shoot, it screws up tiny to fit in a pocket. As for the pigeons on your shoot, it's a similar situation to myself. I've taken to a lot of decoying and using an air rifle to pick them off when they land or roost to take a look. It's quieter than the 12g and is producing good results.

• 3 months later...