First shotgun

Blacknsilver

Hi guys. 

Not done many posts. More of a watcher on this forum. 

I am a rifle guy but have my ticket for a Shotgun. 

I realise fit is key. The need t practice and practice right is also needed. 

So to get down to brass tacks. 

I am looking for a gun that that’s nice to hold. Nice to look at and will do the job of walk and stalk. A few clay days. The occasional driven day and some pigeon shooting. 

So. I have ticked all boxes. I’m 5-11 and fit. 

I have been looking for a while but October time I will be in the market for a gun. 

I have been looking at the silver pigeon series. Miroku guns. Also the browning. The difference in ranges ie 325 525 686 725 

MK 70  it’s all quite over overwhelming  

if the shoe doesn’t fit in 12mts then I can pass it on with no trouble and not losing to much  but I would like it to be something to be proud to own  not just a tool  

budget will be about £900-1200 

regards 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For your budget get either a second hand Beretta silver pigeon 687, a Browning 525 or a miroku mk70. 

If you don’t get on with it, as long as it’s looked after you can sell it for what you’ve paid for it. 

Try and find a ground you can try before you buy. I shot well with both a silver pigeon and a mk70 but couldn’t hit a thing with the 525! 

I'm North Wales area. 

I have an uncle in tap who is great with all things Shotgun. Just wanting to do my own home work so we can chew the fat. I have been on the fence for a while  

a try before you by is handy  

chokes  is another question mark  along with length of barrel 

I realise there is no 'one gun does all' but a happy medium..

28 minutes ago, Blacknsilver said:

I'm North Wales area. 

I have an uncle in tap who is great with all things Shotgun. Just wanting to do my own home work so we can chew the fat. I have been on the fence for a while  

close enough to visit Malmo guns - however Beretta (on here) has moved back to Yorkshire so a lesson or two at Landegla sadly  out.

42 minutes ago, Blacknsilver said:

I'm North Wales area. 

You should find any of the Guns mentioned with either a 28” or 30” barrel. Either would be fine won’t make much difference between the two. 

Might find one with fixed 1/4 and 1/2 chokes, expect to pay less for fixed choke. 

If you get a multi choke stick 1/4 and 1/2 chokes in and leave well along until your a bloody good shot! 

I am a great lover of John Macnab side plated guns, made by B Rizzini. Under their own name Rizzinis are expensive but as Macnabs very good value. I have one in the cabinet in your price range but SW Scotland will be too far unless you are coming this way. Worth looking out for as they are pretty, great handling guns of good quality. I regularly use a 28b but the 12b gets little use as I prefer sxs 

Try loads, the right one will feel right. If it looks right too thats a bonus.

If the Browning fits rather than the Beretta have a look at a 325 or early 425. You'll get much "prettier" gun for your money are some say they are better made than the later 525.

Oh, and if you find a Caesar Guerini give that a try too. 

Thanks for the great replies. 

Unfortunately The money for the gun will be available in mid October. 

8 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i have a Browning 525 Hunter light ? mint and cased with all chokes and manual etc, FOR SALE

That’s my problem. If you could send more information on it and pictures to my email. If my situation alters you never know. 

8 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

I am a great lover of John Macnab side plated guns, made by B Rizzini. Under their own name Rizzinis are expensive but as Macnabs very good value. I have one in the cabinet in your price range but SW Scotland will be too far unless you are coming this way. Worth looking out for as they are pretty, great handling guns of good quality. I regularly use a 28b but the 12b gets little use as I prefer sxs 

As it goes I will be fishing the Annan (Hoddom) for a couple of days 16th October. So again a possible. 

My email address is

D3landy@yahoo.co.uk 

thanks again 

mark

2 minutes ago, Blacknsilver said:

Thanks for the great replies. 

Unfortunately The money for the gun will be available in mid October. 

That’s my problem. If you could send more information on it and pictures to my email. If my situation alters you never know. 

As it goes I will be fishing the Annan (Hoddom) for a couple of days 16th October. So again a possible. 

My email address is

D3landy@yahoo.co.uk 

thanks again 

mark

hello, if you look on the Browning web site it gives all info and photos, as stated as new condition, although it was made in 2012, i purchased new, 2016, and less than 1000 carts, i do not shoot much and have an oldy O/U i prefer to use, it will be checked over by a RFD  before sale,  

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, if you look on the Browning web site it gives all info and photos, as stated as new condition, although it was made in 2012, i purchased new, 2016, and less than 1000 carts, i do not shoot much and have an oldy O/U i prefer to use, it will be checked over by a RFD  before sale,  

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Have you got a link for the gun please. 

Cheers 

A 30" will do all you need and be easy to sell on in future as it sits in the middle of the current trend on barrel lengths. Your budget puts you right in the market for a good used lower grade gun. Forget the Browning 525 unless you find a bargain as the Miroku MK38 sporter is the same gun but cheaper to buy so you could possibly get a grade 3 or higher privately for your budget. Or a Grade 3 Silver pigeon if Berettas suit you more. Go for multichoke as you want to shoot all types with one gun you can swap the chokes to suit, if fixed 1/4 & 1/2 is a decent combination.

Blacknsilver I went about this the other way. Shot LOTS of shotguns before getting into rifles, upon realising I wouldn’t get to be a really good clay shot without investing a lot of time and money I didn’t have. So once I started handling, owning and shooting a variety of rifles I found 12g shotguns felt like huge cannons and overbearing. Started handling 20g instead and then changed over, as 20g felt more like a sporter rifle. There is little (perhaps wildfowling) that you cannot do with a 20g that you can with 12g.

just another option for you to ponder.

I have a 12g again but it’s a Benelli M3 for PSG and that’s a completely different discipline. I only have one game/clay gun now and it’s a Beretta Sil Pig with 20&28g barrels. It handles beautifully and will basically take on anything I want to do. If you want a quick handling gun  go for 28” barrels if you want a slightly slower more deliberate handling gun get 30”. Anything worth anything in the £1k bracket should be M/C and it’s a good option to have if shooting multi disciplines.....

That's a great point. I have a few CF rifles. The largest is .243. The recoil is fine although I have shot a few other larger cal rifles but not many shotguns. A few weeks ago I shot a FAC shotgun. Zombie killing looking thing. The recoil on that was twice the .243. Quite unpleasant. Shot an old Enfield Powder gun. Again large recoil. 

As i did show interest in a 20g shotgun but it was mention that was strong a fit guy so a12g was the way forward. So the look at 20g stopped there. I do like low recoil. The .204 I have is a joy to shoot. When I take the .243 I do notice the difference. I'm sure the 12g would shock me agin if it's anything like the Zombie gun I shot. How much less recoil is the 20g than the 12g?

is there a break in procedure to buying a new Shotgun?

Have to admit .the main reason i dont have a 12 b is the noise and the recoil. 

I also come from a rifle background first then onto shotguns. And HATED shot guns for thier brutal nature .

That all changed when my mate bought a 20b hushpower.  Its quiet and has little recoil .its heavy and more deliberate (like a rifle .)so i bought one and made mine handle like a rifle with a raised comb and a sight on top .this suited me fine and works well .

Ps i still dont like un modderated 12b s

And im a big, hairy  grunt of a builder .

Problem with that theory  .is that a 28 grm 20b isnt made the same as a 28 grm 12b .

The 12 needs more powder and a bigger bang to get its load up to the same speed as the 20b .which it can do as there is more room in the cart .

This gives you more noise and more felt recoil .in the 12