Velceo starter motors

ditchman

ive taken a few motors apart in my time to clean and service ...new bendix....solenoid etc.....

i have just taken the above apart...and after 30 odd years the grease was going sticky and hard and the bendix shaft was rusted up....so i will clean it all up and put it back together..........

problem............

one bit left over...a flat square bit of steel  about 10mm x 10mm and 2mm thick......................cant see where it has come from.......

anyone know...?

23 minutes ago, figgy said:

Is it a end shaft shim or woodruff key?

thats excactly what i thought..........................

But in the last 5 mins i have found out what it is for..............the stator body can sit i one of 5 different positions and this thing sits in an A_B_C_D_E ,,....slot which then lines up with the housing............

phew................

5 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Glad it happens to s9omeone else.... pleased you sorted it....now all you have to do is choose between positions A B C D E but that should not be difficult for a man of your experience?

i think i can see a slight rib mark in c slot............................with me bleedin glasses orn..............

do you want me to take pics of the thing.................sort of a mini thread...........

Edited by ditchman

right 'ere we go.............:yahoo:

• the solenoid was fine
  • the bendix was fine

the problem was in the last few years i had dome a bit of wading thro water about 4ft deep...and couldnt be bovered to put the bloody wading plug in......as it was i stopped doing this and took the long way round cause my spotlights filled up with water...........:/

any way....the grease had gone stiff and the bendix shaft had some rust on it......it wouldnt engage properly when the engine was cold....but when the engine was hot the grease softened and no probs for the rest of the day.........

so its had a damn good clean....cleaned all the rust off..cleaned the contacts and the brushes...and put it back together again.........

later tomorrow ...i will degrease the whole thing...rewrap the positive cable and seal with silicon and prime ....spray....and laquer it ....will put another couple of pics up then....

ran the motor up 20-30 times and the bendix snaps out nice..........(it dont half take some juice4 out of the batterey the old cables were warming up..:lol: )

starter motor 001tn_.JPG

starter motor 002tn_.JPG

starter motor 003tn_.JPG

starter motor 004tn_.JPG

starter motor 005tn_.JPG

starter motor 006tn_.JPG

starter motor 007tn_.JPG

starter motor 008tn_.JPG

starter motor 009tn_.JPG

starter motor 010tn_.JPG

starter motor 011tn_.JPG

starter motor 012tn_.JPG