Ear defenders

Fredwalton

I was just wondering what ear defenders people use? I use a brand called impact I think, they are sound enhancing ones. I found them great for a game day when they are taken on off etc but when I'm pigeon shooting and wearing them pretty much all the time i do find I get a bit of a headache especially on a windy day.

49 minutes ago, Fredwalton said:

I was just wondering what ear defenders people use? I use a brand called impact I think, they are sound enhancing ones. I found them great for a game day when they are taken on off etc but when I'm pigeon shooting and wearing them pretty much all the time i do find I get a bit of a headache especially on a windy day.

I have the same. On a windy day I just turned the volume down.

I use 3M electronics usually, but have been trying out a pair of Shothunt in-ear electronics recently (  http://www.shothunt.com/standard.php  )  . Main advantage is that they are so small (in your ear like hearing aids) you don't get so sweaty in them as you do when wearing 'cans' in the hot weather we've been having. they're a bit fiddly to adjust to get the volume right because the knob is so small and my fingers are like sausages, but once you have them right they're really very comfy and effective.

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t need ear defenders . I am deaf as a post for not wearing them over the years . Many many years of rifle ,pistol and shotgun shooting has made me deaf . Protect your lugs with some kind of hearing protectors . Being deaf is not all bad it’s a very noisy  world out there and it’s nice to take my lemon aids out and Experience the quiet zone .

harnser

8 hours ago, Harnser said:

I don’t need ear defenders . I am deaf as a post for not wearing them over the years . Many many years of rifle ,pistol and shotgun shooting has made me deaf . Protect your lugs with some kind of hearing protectors . Being deaf is not all bad it’s a very noisy  world out there and it’s nice to take my lemon aids out and Experience the quiet zone .

harnser

Like you Harnser, I never wore ear defenders over the years (who did of a certain age ?) and am also quite deaf, but would advise the use of them now. I've got quite bad tinnitus, which takes the form of a continuous rumbling which never goes away. 

I have a pair of Howard Leight which are good but also use an older set of Napier 9 which I find cut out the noise better than the can type, although this may have something to do with also wearing glasses and noise creeping in via the not too flexible arms of the glasses. However the Napier ones are no good for me if sharing a hide as with my hearing, or lack of it, no conversation is possible. The old joke comes to mind when in conversation with my also deaf pal, goes something like this -:

Me  "Windy isn't it ?"  

Pal  "No it's not it's Thursday"

Me  "Yes, so am I, let's go for a beer" 

My hearing aids fortunately have a setting I call the 'wife' setting which cuts out all background or nagging noises ! 

OB

5 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Like you Harnser, I never wore ear defenders over the years (who did of a certain age ?) and am also quite deaf, but would advise the use of them now. I've got quite bad tinnitus, which takes the form of a continuous rumbling which never goes away. 

I have a pair of Howard Leight which are good but also use an older set of Napier 9 which I find cut out the noise better than the can type, although this may have something to do with also wearing glasses and noise creeping in via the not too flexible arms of the glasses. However the Napier ones are no good for me if sharing a hide as with my hearing, or lack of it, no conversation is possible. The old joke comes to mind when in conversation with my also deaf pal, goes something like this -:

Me  "Windy isn't it ?"  

Pal  "No it's not it's Thursday"

Me  "Yes, so am I, let's go for a beer" 

My hearing aids fortunately have a setting I call the 'wife' setting which cuts out all background or nagging noises ! 

OB

Back in the day if you wore ear defenders you were considered to be a big girl .

harnser

Why not spend around £70 and buy a pair of moulded to fit passive ear plugs. Although I am extremely deaf (brought on by a couple of minor strokes) I have had a pair of Emtech moulded plugs for some 25 + years. Buy the florescent coloured variety, they are easier to find, should you drop them. When I had my hearing, I found the Emtech's great, I could easily hold a conversation in a pigeon hide and my shooting pal was also wearing his. It did become harder to hear through them after my illness, but by just removing one and putting in my hearing aid, conversation was possible, replacing the ear plug when shooting. They are far more comfortable than the 'cans' variety, especially if it is hot weather too.

• 1 month later...
On 29/09/2018 at 21:18, Westley said:

Why not spend around £70 and buy a pair of moulded to fit passive ear plugs. Although I am extremely deaf (brought on by a couple of minor strokes) I have had a pair of Emtech moulded plugs for some 25 + years. Buy the florescent coloured variety, they are easier to find, should you drop them. When I had my hearing, I found the Emtech's great, I could easily hold a conversation in a pigeon hide and my shooting pal was also wearing his. It did become harder to hear through them after my illness, but by just removing one and putting in my hearing aid, conversation was possible, replacing the ear plug when shooting. They are far more comfortable than the 'cans' variety, especially if it is hot weather too.

I have them too.

14 hours ago, bluesj said:

I got some of these a few weeks ago for work  after dropping my expensive ones in cow poo!

https://www.screwfix.com/p/delta-plus-interlagos-premium-ear-defender-33db-snr/3365r

They work really well! They even take the sting out of using a 308 indoors

Could you not just have bought a mouse trap  ?

The bluetooth ear defenders are great. Ive just bought a pair of stihl ones and my mate has some 3m worktunes ones. We use them in the workshop when machining timber. 

Wouldnt wear them out pigeon shooting tho. Thats the whole point of being out. The peace and quiet, also i listen for the birds coming.