Parakeets

Scully

Have a relative in Kingston Upon Thames, and he was telling me he hardly has any plums or damsons left as they are constantly invaded by Parakeets. I could probably find the answer as to whether these are on a quarry list online, but just wondered if anyone had any experience of dealing with them? Ta. 

Yes, all over Kingston area for sure.  They are on the GL but to deal with them in an urban environment is of course the problem.

In Surrey I have only ever shot one, when a group flew over where I was shooting pigeon. They move fast, and are quite a small bird.

I've shot a fair few over the last year or so- maybe ten or so but sadly I haven't noticed a reduction in numbers.  They seem to form a little colony near where they have been released and then not spread too much in my experience; we have them on the shoot but only in one small section of a valley, and not half a mile away in a woodland that is nearly identical habitat. I shoot them opportunistically with the air rife- a shot to the chest with a sub 12 ftlb tends to sort them as they seem to be relatively fragile at least in comparison to a pigeon or squirrel! I know you can use larson traps to catch them although who knows how you get the call bird! 

Not only on the GL but also an Invasive Species that should be wiped out if only it was possible.

Typically, the GL only allows shooting if they are actually doing damage to crops etc, but an air rifle is more than enough for them and does the job well.

James Marchington received quite a bit of stick for this, but it didn't stop him doing more of the same :)

Noisy messy little birds that drive you mad,they never shut up. All the trees with any type of seed get hammered by them. Saw the most cherry blossom i have ever seen this year and also cherries on the trees. Soon as i saw a few red ones, the birds stripped the trees bare.

Loads on one of my perm's  i shoot them on sight as once watched them take woodpecker chicks out of a hole & drop them to the ground. I'm on about hundred this year & have a great collection of green tail feathers :good:. Have shot a few from the air but most have been perched in a tree that they seem to like as always 3-5 birds in it most days i'm there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/09/2018 at 20:22, fse10 said:

Loads on one of my perm's  i shoot them on sight as once watched them take woodpecker chicks out of a hole & drop them to the ground. I'm on about hundred this year & have a great collection of green tail feathers :good:. Have shot a few from the air but most have been perched in a tree that they seem to like as always 3-5 birds in it most days i'm there.

Local to you? I have heard of one or two seen in the Hockley/Rayleigh area and have seen one flying whilst on the train near Shenfield. Interested in the expansion.

31 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Local to you? I have heard of one or two seen in the Hockley/Rayleigh area and have seen one flying whilst on the train near Shenfield. Interested in the expansion.

Where i shoot is near Upminster. But see a flock of around 50 most days flying over my house as have a few blocks of woodland near by.Took my daughter to Gatwick last week & was 100's flying in & out of the trees along the side of the M23.

1 hour ago, fse10 said:

Where i shoot is near Upminster. But see a flock of around 50 most days flying over my house as have a few blocks of woodland near by.Took my daughter to Gatwick last week & was 100's flying in & out of the trees along the side of the M23.

South West London/Surrey/East Berks is heaving with them. Look like they are on the march Eastwards too.