English Open - Oak Edge

MITCHF

If you’re attending this event be aware that there are fallings clays hitting cars in the car park.

Cars have been parked in the marked car park and have been damage.

”Steve” the organiser is not interested in responsibility and is stating “owners risk” and “wind” (no wind here today).

The event could cost you a lot more than you planned , as it will myself, due to poor planning on behalf of the organiser. 

West London Shooting ground tried that a few years ago for the World Championships. 600 shooters per day and a central car park you were all directed in to.

They attempted to maintain the "parked at owners risk" line.

I went through my insurers and we went down the legal route until they settled out of court!

Good luck.

From what stands are the clays hitting the cars? Only ask as I shot it on the Wednesday and thinking back I can’t see where this would have happened.

Unfortunately that is Steve’s standard reply, happens at Westfield all the time, used to happen at Weston wood too, clays and shot rain down on people’s expensive motors and he couldn’t give a toss. Not a nice fella, it’s all about the money for him, I tend to try and avoid his shoots and know a few others that have started to do the same.

The only one would be the midi trap on the telehandler throwing no birds. Then the bits landing on cars. Cant say for sure. 

Id like to see anyone try to set up 50 odd clay traps in a small area as not get a few clays going AWOL. If the car park was 500 yards away people would have moaned about that too.

Even so parking anywhere near a telehandler with a trap 20 foot above it is a bad move. Not saying that's what you did. Hope it gets resolved.

On 01/09/2018 at 20:54, Trevorevans said:

From what stands are the clays hitting the cars? Only ask as I shot it on the Wednesday and thinking back I can’t see where this would have happened.

Unfortunately that is Steve’s standard reply, happens at Westfield all the time, used to happen at Weston wood too, clays and shot rain down on people’s expensive motors and he couldn’t give a toss. Not a nice fella, it’s all about the money for him, I tend to try and avoid his shoots and know a few others that have started to do the same.

That’s the feedback I’m getting about him.

He needs to remember that paying shooters are his income.

i won’t go near his shoots in future.

20 hours ago, BaikalsRule90 said:

The only one would be the midi trap on the telehandler throwing no birds. Then the bits landing on cars. Cant say for sure. 

Id like to see anyone try to set up 50 odd clay traps in a small area as not get a few clays going AWOL. If the car park was 500 yards away people would have moaned about that too.

Even so parking anywhere near a telehandler with a trap 20 foot above it is a bad move. Not saying that's what you did. Hope it gets resolved.

That was the trap and Oakedge isn’t a “small” area.

I wasn’t “moaning” I was pointing out the risk to others. That said , with a £400+ bill coming my way I’d be entitled to moan.

I’ve been shooting 10yrs at grounds all over the country, never had the same problem. If the sign says car park, it’s exactly that, the organisers are responsible for safety.

Its only luck that it was cars and not people being hit.

I never said you were "moaning". I said if the car park was far away "people would moan". 

Last year my vehicle was hit by a battue and did serious damage to the bonnet. They said that cars are parked at own risk. I'm sure the same applies at most grounds. However the ground still gave me £200 to get it fixed. 

I have shot pretty much most of the big sporting grounds in the country over the last 6 years and this does happen quite alot on the quiet. I will agree that it's not very good. It is only a matter of time before a person gets very injured.

Steve only set the targets I believe. The organisation was through the Cpsa. Get on to them as they would have established where was safe to park ect. 

Have you had any luck? 

MitchF, were you the owner of the Merc' that got spattered all down the side on the Friday?

One of the things that alarmed me was the fully intact battue from the pool shoot that had landed right outside the toilet door, also a number of tables that were closest to the loo and shop had lots of bits of broken clays strewn across them, again from the battue on the pool shoot.  I think that is inexcusable.

On 02/09/2018 at 10:27, BaikalsRule90 said:

Ever heard of duty of care?
If a car can be hit, a person could be hit, and seriously injured or killed.
If the car park isnt safe , it should be roped off and not used, THAT is the responsibility of the person or organisation that has set up the shoot.
To say its your responsibility doesnt wash, if you are a paying customer of an establishment , you have a right to not be injured or have damage done to property by negligence.
If a clay is being took by the wind on our course, that trap is not used ,end of.

• 1 month later...
On 07/09/2018 at 09:50, grrclark said:

MitchF, were you the owner of the Merc' that got spattered all down the side on the Friday?

One of the things that alarmed me was the fully intact battue from the pool shoot that had landed right outside the toilet door, also a number of tables that were closest to the loo and shop had lots of bits of broken clays strewn across them, again from the battue on the pool shoot.  I think that is inexcusable.

And to think without SC's words of advice it would have been my RR parked there, don't think the glass roof would have been intact either!