Cutting steel with chop saw

impala59

Any views on cutting steel tube (up to 5mm wall thickness) by fitting a suitable blade (210 mm I believe) on my chopsaw. I usually use a home made jig that holds the 4 1/2” angle grinder fitted with a 1mm disc while I rotate the tube to keep the cut square.

I have quite a few smallish pieces to cut ,some with odd angles, so looking to speed things up with accuracy and also safety. Recommendations please for blades/discs or alternatives if this is not a practical/safe/cost effective direction 

Is your chopsaw for cutting wood or steel . If is a steel chopsaw  that uses a disc .DO NOT FIT A TOOTHED BLADE.  They spin at differant rates and very dangerous .its a big no no. If its a one for wood then you need to find out if your saw will take a steel cutting toothed blade . I have the Evoluction and cut ally , but not mild steel. I was going to stick a toothed blade on my metal disc cutting chopsaw till i looked on youtube , and pleased i did .

I used an Evolution chop saw to cut up a load of 40mm and 50mm square steel tube a couple of years back. Works well for a small number of cuts, but you get loads of hot, sharp chippings, and the blades go blunt quite quickly, which gets expensive.

If you need precise repeatable angles, then yes. Likewise for small pieces, yes, as you can clamp the job down.

If you have a lot of cuts, I would suggest an ultra-thin cutting disk in your angle grinder.

What are you making?

32 minutes ago, CaptainBeaky said:

I used an Evolution chop saw to cut up a load of 40mm and 50mm square steel tube a couple of years back. Works well for a small number of cuts, but you get loads of hot, sharp chippings, and the blades go blunt quite quickly, which gets expensive.

If you need precise repeatable angles, then yes. Likewise for small pieces, yes, as you can clamp the job down.

If you have a lot of cuts, I would suggest an ultra-thin cutting disk in your angle grinder.

What are you making?

Based on the above replies, it seems that there are, as I suspected some safety issues and I shall indeed continue to use the angle grinder with thin cutting discs, which, to be fair cut through steel like butter. I am making some magazine tube stabilisers for a number of shooting pals (as opposed to clamps which seem to bend the magazine extension) The thinking being that the threaded extension  when screwed in tight, simply needs stabilising at the muzzle end but should run straight and parallel with the barrel. An m5 grub screw would take care of anti-rotation. I wanted to use steel for threading superiority but I'm leaning toward aluminium for ease of working now.

On 01/09/2018 at 14:02, la bala said:

I know a good chop saw is best for tube but they are also good money. Dont you know anyone with a bandsaw with angle vice.

To be honest I would agree with you, but the OP said he wanted something quick.

I bought a metal cutting band saw over 30 years ago at a model engineering show and it has proved to be a great buy.

Edited by John_R