Finally got out.

Clodhopper

Summer/ harvest is generally not a good time for me,pigeon wise. Work is busy, summer holidays mean days out with the children and pheasant poults need looking after, all of which add up to very little time to do proper reccy's for pigeon. 

We do have a lot of birds in the area but with this years harvest being uninterrupted the entire district is stubble and.the birds have a wide choice of dining options. The result of this meant that there were no discernable lines as birds flitted about seemingly with no purpose. The odd time i have got out i have been unable to find any lines to make setting up worthwhile.

Yesterday was a day where I had a few hours spare  and my brother was home on leave so we thought we would just get out and try and find something. Due to his military duties.he does not get out often but he does enjoy his shooting.

We found a few on a rape stubble that had been ripped up a few days previously. Surprisingly there were more stock doves than woodies but we thought there were enough to keep us occupied for an hour of so. We wet up with a magnet, a flapper and a few shells. The easterly wind picked up and we hoped the birds would come over the dyke we.were in.to the pattern,  allowing us to take them as the came past.

This worked to some degree and we had some.tricky birds swinging round and jinking in the wind. Many were missed, some were shot. A Marsh Harrier swooped.down.and tried to take the flapper! Good banter was had and it was just great to be out. 

What did feel strange was being out without my old Lab, Mac, who we had to have put to sleep a fortnight ago. Instead I had my wife's Cocker with me who is primarily a beating dog and who we have never done any retrieving with. He will.need some work but I was pleased when I walked him out to z dead.bird and he picked it up and brought it to hand.

We finished the day with a dozen birds for far too many shots but that took nothing away from.the enjoyment of the day and I could fulfil my wifes order of pigeon breast for tea.

Thanks for reading.

I

Nice report on your time spent with your brother , bag wise , it don't really matter as I am sure you found plenty of things to talk about in the peaceful surroundings of the countryside , having a few shots and something to bring home is a bonus .

I think we are all in the same boat as far as a variety of fields to go at although with today's modern tractors and equipment it don't take long to pull them up , our bean stubble have been very poor this year with very little pigeon activity , maybe all the surrounding wheat stubble fields have something to do with it with pigeons still using them most days of the week .

Hope you enjoy your few days on the Broads , the weather should be nice and its a lovely time of the year to be on there , What part of the Broads do you intend to be on ?

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Nice report on your time spent with your brother , bag wise , it don't really matter as I am sure you found plenty of things to talk about in the peaceful surroundings of the countryside , having a few shots and something to bring home is a bonus .

I think we are all in the same boat as far as a variety of fields to go at although with today's modern tractors and equipment it don't take long to pull them up , our bean stubble have been very poor this year with very little pigeon activity , maybe all the surrounding wheat stubble fields have something to do with it with pigeons still using them most days of the week .

Hope you enjoy your few days on the Broads , the weather should be nice and its a lovely time of the year to be on there , What part of the Broads do you intend to be on ?

The field next to the rape stubble was bean stubble that had been disced over, littered with beans but no pigeon interest. 

We are picking a boat up from Stalham and will see where we get to. Just nice to have a quiet time with a bit of fishing

I really like the broads, always something to watch/study.

6 hours ago, Clodhopper said:

The field next to the rape stubble was bean stubble that had been disced over, littered with beans but no pigeon interest. 

We are picking a boat up from Stalham and will see where we get to. Just nice to have a quiet time with a bit of fishing

I really like the broads, always something to watch/study.

Lovely part of the Broads , you will have plenty on offer with all the pubs and shops still open and things now a bit more relaxing with the children going back to school , if you get a chance pop in the Broads Museum at Stalham , well worth having a look , I went on the steam launch trip from the museum down to Barton Broad when I went , very unusual boat that run on coal . 

Wherever you go , Have a good time and I hope the fishing and the weather play its part on your days afloat .

Nice report buddy. Feel for your Labby loss and great the Cocker worked out. Again a similar story round here with lots of doves and blues, and hard to find lines. I was hoping for some corvids shooting soon, but learnt this week that many fields by us will be directly seeded, no ploughing required and with seed drills putting the seed down so deep these days, good days may still be scarce. Enjoyed the read, cheers.