Marsh man ! My shed pics !

islandgun

Was trying to post these for Marshman/John,  on PM but couldnt. so will stick them up here, not sporting but might be of interest to someone.

I flooded a bit of my croft a few years ago and finally managed to put up a hide to watch the Greylags which sometimes number 100+ at the pool just in front of the hide, it will be interesting to see how much they are put off by the shed. I will cut the grass to keep them interested in young growth, also putting a few duck nesting boxes around and keep putting grain out to attract ducks over the winter, there has been a couple of mallard broods this summer and something keeps cleaning up the grain every night. the shed has an old settee, desk and a very small logburner...

104930171_DSCN23071.JPG.2bde9b41f31e643c7bcd01e297156797.JPG1744230508_DSCN23111.JPG.0e0001f11fc28889981ec2315af797de.JPG

Telf

I reckon I might spend the odd night down there...:good:

6 minutes ago, figgy said:

might be a good idea to hang some scrim net on the inside of the window so you don't stand out. Looks good, be even better when the yellow pine weathers in.

Good idea, my missus has already offered to make some curtains [ not sure if she wasnt taking the p though

Edited by islandgun

That view is something else , if it was mine , my wife would have to have a photo of me because she might not recognize me when I eventually get home after saying I wont be long , the only view we would get out of the window is the next county in the distance with the odd gate post sticking up above sea level , very envious islandgun .

1 hour ago, la bala said:

Tell you what, that camo on the wood burner chimney has been done well.  Well done MM

The shed belong to islandgun , you ort to know our Mole hills arnt that big :lol:

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

That view is something else , if it was mine , my wife would have to have a photo of me because she might not recognize me when I eventually get home after saying I wont be long , the only view we would get out of the window is the next county in the distance with the odd gate post sticking up above sea level , very envious islandgun .

The shed belong to islandgun , you ort to know our Mole hills arnt that big :lol:

Whoops sorry. :lol:

21 minutes ago, Mice! said:

if you cone across any get some Astro turf stuff for your roof, then it will really blend in. Seen a few sheds now like that and they look really good.

good idea cheers...:good:  I actually have some, did they completely cover the roof or stick on clumps 

edit to say i will be planting more willows in front so eventually would expect it to be completely obscured

Edited by islandgun

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

No need to be sorry la bala ,  Fenlanders must have good eyesight as no one apart from you have commented on the good job islandgun have done with blending in the wood burner chimney with the backdrop of the hills.  

I painted the stack grey to go with sky..... actually ive not put one on yet, as im not sure it needs it,but Ive only had a couple of trial fires so far. This is the stove, might be of interest, its actually a piece of 100mm box section, stood on a lump of RSJ with a piece of bent 50mm pipe coming out the back. burns large twigs really, draws well with the bottom open, the lid lifts off,  Iv'e put some fireproof sheet between it and the shed wall, £58 I think, you can see smoke coming out  in the picture

309317515_s-l1600(1).jpg.ba904263f153289e89c289437e17b9ba.jpg

Edited by islandgun

That stove look the business islandgun , once the casing gets hot it would keep your shed warm for a good few hours without anymore fuel added to it , in our boat shed cabin we had a nice little pot belly tortoise stove that ran on drift wood , every so often a coal boat would tie up to the stagings to wash the deck down after delivering coal to Cantley Sugar Beet Factory , normally they would wash it over the side but we offered to clear it up , me and my mate took buckets on board and cleared all the small bits of coal away and filled our lockers up , in the winter the stove used to glow red and would heat a tin of soup up in no time when we came back cold from a morning or evening flight .

When we had our beaters room up our work shop we had a free standing parkray that came out of one of the cottages , one of the carpenters used to light it around 11 o clock so when the beaters came back around one o clock it was all nice and warm , the oldest one sat in a arm chair near the stove then it went round in a half circle with the newest member the other end , to stop the back draft coming down the flue pipe we had a four inch 90 degree bend on the top so whatever way the wind was blowing you just turned the bend round .

On the old smoke houses in Yarmouth that once smoked the kippers they had something similar on there pots , they were on a swivel with like a solid sail on the back so they were blown round with the wind and the smoke would go out with it , simple but effective .

Good Luck with your problem with wind :good: 

Cheers john

Its nice to hear about the old days, coal fired sugarbeet factory must have been one of the first. I remember beet hoeing in Suffolk used to get paid by the row, could do it at walking speed.[probably not very well]  the stove is as simple as it gets, made in Diss, until today i had just trialled it on calm days, im in the process of order some pipe for the flue...:lol:

2 hours ago, islandgun said:

Cheers john

Its nice to hear about the old days, coal fired sugarbeet factory must have been one of the first. I remember beet hoeing in Suffolk used to get paid by the row, could do it at walking speed.[probably not very well]  the stove is as simple as it gets, made in Diss, until today i had just trialled it on calm days, im in the process of order some pipe for the flue...:lol:

I don't suppose you have got scrap yards in the western isles , great places to find that sort of thing , even more so if you have got friends working there ☺️