Lil-Gun Geese

6.5x55SE

Due to work, hot weather, lamping i decided to give morning flight a miss instead had went to check a few local spots Greylag galore but very few Canada geese and a stubble gooseless but 250+ Mallard.

6pm this evening Conor ( grandson ) Criss ( nephew ) and myself lined a flightine of many years bad bit waist high rubbish/thistles as the field is no longer cropped. Loading my 20ga i was getting plenty of stick from the Young Gun's due to the cartridges had only been over a chronograph on paper. Geese both left and right being very vocal from the gravel pits kept us on our toe for a hour before a small Skien of 5 was being followed by 40 odd Game On the moment of truth checking to see Conor and Criss was on for a shot i selected a Goose well Infront thankfully 7/8oz of steel 3's pushed on with Lil-Gun caused the Goose to throw it's head back and the next 2 shots had the same result Job done well chuffed turning to the youngsters the was conflicting emotions Conor was giving it Yes get in whilst Criss was using language i can't post. After retrieving the geese i went to see what had happened Conor had 2 for 2 Criss triple miss . Whilst picking Connor's Geese 2 Skiens came over my head which i stood up a flared them over the youngsters Criss killed 2 with his first shot then another Conor killed 1.

Geese gathered i returned to my spot when 60+ Geese came noiselessly over the youngsters who scored 1each now this lot had gained some height after being shot at but yet again my 20ga found its mark with its 2 shots. Both Conor and Criss remarked i can't believe you killed them. After Conor had missed a Skien i could not resist temptation my single shot killed another very good Goose so having six for six i was walking back to my truck when shouting then Honking i turned to see 26 Canada skirt the youngsters and coming low fast straight at me quickly loading the gun i took 3 Canada's Infront like big Driven grouse yet again i got plenty of abuse about being lucky and a Goose magnet so ended a fantastic evening flight on the first day of the season with the satisfaction of seeing my Grandson and Nephew shoot some good geese also my Lil-Gun Steel home loads work well

Nice report and a good start to your season hope you have a good one, I like your choice of weapon the 20 bore and lil  gun powder I feel were made for each other. ASDA best performance overall or any other powder have ever used in 20, I first saw it on a web page Dave in AZ and is why I started using it a couple of years ago,there  is some info on that page on Lil gun if you have not already seen it.

1 hour ago, Fen tiger said:

Nice report and a good start to your season hope you have a good one, I like your choice of weapon the 20 bore and lil  gun powder I feel were made for each other. ASDA best performance overall or any other powder have ever used in 20, I first saw it on a web page Dave in AZ and is why I started using it a couple of years ago,there  is some info on that page on Lil gun if you have not already seen it.

Thank you all for your kind comments..

Fen tiger

Thanks I've spoken to Dave a few times he used to Bomb on the Camp and live not far from me when he was in England. I actually have him my 3" Alliant Steel load which he tested etc. I've shot a 20ga for 40+ years even on the foreshore after Pinks Steel kills use HW13 Hevi-Shot or PWS and it's a real eye opener. Thanks again have a good season mate

Good to see you are still knocking down a few geese Boyd. I for the first time on the opening day also went after a goose hoping to get under a flightline to their stubble, mainly to get away from the hot spots that I knew would attract a lot of fowlers and partly because I have a stinking cold and it was only a short walk to this meadow.  The geese outwitted Bryan and I. The geese having fighted under the moon did not come our way. Ended with a single mallard.

24 minutes ago, Continental Shooter said:

Very good post and day you had.

Tried the 1oz load with A-Steel and took a very good wigeon. Can't wait for the geese now

Thank you. Well done to yourself whilst we must possess some skills in shooting I'm also a great believer in having confidence in the equipment we use a few members on here have witnessed the effects on Geese the 20ga steel load i advised you.

A tip i try to give people ( hope this makes sense ) just shoot the gun you have at hand and not the gauge personally i never think oh I've only got eg a 20ga .yards/metres can get stretched or shortened but put that 1oz in the right place and you will be enjoying Goose an Ducks to eat regularly. Hope to see you have bagged a Goose or two very soon

Edited by 6.5x55SE

i only shoot 20 bore and very seldom used 12.  thinking on .410 these days to accommodate the wee man clay course if he manages to hold the gun.

i never had an issue from boar to thrushes if i pointed the gun in the right direction at the right distance (i.e. not 150 yds) it always served the purpose.

My main concern was steel vs lead (as i have never used steel) but grew my confidence watching people videos on here and this last wigeon really made my mind up.  Fair enough it had some life in it even though was breast hit, but the impact of the pellets was clear and can only possibly blame the sot size (#2) for not delivering enough hits.

Another thing i noticed is that with lead i shoot instinctively on the area i want to hit it whereas with non toxic this didn't quite work last year; this time i changed and lead both the teal and wigeon with good results whereas i didn't do that on the geese (they look so big i always think i can't miss them ... which i obviously do)

want to try with 3s' and 4's as soon as i get the chance to see what the difference is in terms of hits.

Thanks again for the laod ?

• 2 weeks later...
On September 2, 2018 at 12:36, 6.5x55SE said:

Thank you all for your kind comments..

Fen tiger

Thanks I've spoken to Dave a few times he used to Bomb on the Camp and live not far from me when he was in England. I actually have him my 3" Alliant Steel load which he tested etc. I've shot a 20ga for 40+ years even on the foreshore after Pinks Steel kills use HW13 Hevi-Shot or PWS and it's a real eye opener. Thanks again have a good season mate

Interesting it just goes to show its a small world,  I like reading that Daves stuff he clearly tries to get things right looks for alternatives and shares his research.