Diy kit advice

Hi

just bought a 410 and looking to reload due to the cost of 410 cartridges ? While I'm at it I will probably look to doing 12g as well ?, don't won't to spend £££££ on a off the shelf kit as this kinda defeats the object.

has anybody got a homemade set up they can share and advice? Have looked online and there is quite a bit of info especially from the states, all advice is welcome 

cheers

I do a little home loading for .410. 

I don't have a press, doing it all by hand. Using a drill and roll crimping tool. Published data. 

Folkestone EngineeringClay & Game are both useful and knowledgable suppliers of components and data. 

Most important tool for reloading the .410 is a reliable set of scales, measuring powered by hand is a pain but it's more reliable than dipping with a measure. 

Thanks for your reply uilleachan.

potential problem here, have discovered that some of the spent cartridges have damaged ends ? not done any testing but think this is due to gun warming up cartridges waiting to be fired and then the pump action deforming the end?? Anybody else get this with a pump action?

As figgy says above. Cut the damage off. 76mm is the length of a 3" cart, if damaged cut 3mm off (easier/more consistent, with a trimming tool) and use data for 73mm cases. 

Sometimes with the correct data and correct cart length there can be a tad too much space left over inside, more than is safe to roll crimp, having a bunch of variously trimmed carts 75mm, 74mm, can help matching a specific load with the correct head height above the shot. 

Something to consider, is buying a bag of new cases unprimed, for ease of postage. Then you're starting with new material, between them and your spent branded carts you'll have 76mm and shorter. 

Tip, IME it's best to use primers of the same manufacture as the cases for a snug fit, with random spent cases having a few different brands of primers means you can find a one that'll suit, then it's just a case of using data that uses that primer.