Red letter day - Pigeon shooting

tulkyuk

I got a call from Magman at friday lunch time to ask if i fancied some pigeon shooting on saturday over layed wheat and i of course agreed.

we got to the field about 8.30am and were set up by 9.00, the pigeons started to come in within 10mins and this seemed to be just another ordinary

day ( we both thought we might get a max bag of 30- 50 pigeons), well it was far from it and the pigeons came in all day thick and fast and we did not have a lull all day as the birds kept coming in at about 5-10 min intervals.

The day only ended when the battery on the magnet ran out and the birds stopped thier flight line to us and went down to the bottom of the field.

Total Bag for the day was 186, we managed to pick up about 100 as the rest were in the standing wheat and we did not want to cause any damage( the pigeons had done enough of that.

below are a cuople of Pics of the birds we picked up.

Photo-0160.jpg

Photo-0161.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Total Bag for the day was 186, we managed to pick up about 100 as the rest were in the standing wheat and we did not want to cause any damage( the pigeons had done enough of that.

Great shooting lads

But we only ever count the birds in the bag.(as the saying goes " a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush") :good:

a lost bird is a missed bird and the art of shooting blown in our eyes is to only shoot birds over the "patch" which can be picked easily or retreived by the dog.

just think how many of those "86" were just wounded :good:

Apart from crows, magpies and foxes, we dont shoot what we dont do anything with.

by leaving "86" pigeons in the field, is as bad, imho, as dumping shot birds in a hedge :)

i dont think the farmer would agree with you and remember you are there for crop protection not sport, 186 dead is 186 less eating his crops. - we did try to pick the rest up, but did not want to cause anymore damage than had already been done. :)

Glad you enjoyed it mate wasn't bad for the first decoying sessoin of the season .

But we only ever count the birds in the bag.(as the saying goes " a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush")

a lost bird is a missed bird and the art of shooting blown in our eyes is to only shoot birds over the "patch" which can be picked easily or retreived by the dog.

just think how many of those "86" were just wounded

not getting into an argument over this but if the farmer saw us not shooting birds because we thought if we shot that one we would not be able to find it i would get kicked of the permission ,also dont do dogs on crops until its been harvested as a dog can do a fair amount of damadge also.

plus not to good for the dog in imho :)

Glad you enjoyed it mate wasn't bad for the first decoying sessoin of the season .

But we only ever count the birds in the bag.(as the saying goes " a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush")

not getting into an argument over this but if the farmer saw us not shooting birds because we thought if we shot that one we would not be able to find it i would get kicked of the permission ,also dont do dogs on crops until its been harvested as a dog can do a fair amount of damadge also.

plus not to good for the dog in imho :)

Totally agree with your sentiments.

CROP PROTECTION is the name of the game.

Don't listen to the negativeees, non-shooters or armchair experts.

There is always some one out there that will try and knock you down or nit-pick your post.

:good: :o :D :D :D???

******** to 'em all I say.

Get out there and do a job well done.

:good:

Dave K

Well done, glad to learn that you didnt make the situation worse by trying to collect birds from the standing crop. It has however been my belef that convention dictates that the bag is what is picked, not that which are claimed as hit.

The name of the game is crop protection and you certainly did that whatever the numbers.

webber

Hi was just wondering about that amount of birds being left in the crop.Would they cause any damage to either the crop through the spread of disease, or harm to machinery ( less likely i know) but there was a rumour going round this area that pigeons that were left in a field of some crop that was turned into silage for cattle spread diseases and the farmer lost some cattle.

One of the members on here might know more, it was close to his brothers' gun shop (Cookstown area)

Well done, glad to learn that you didnt make the situation worse by trying to collect birds from the standing crop. It has however been my belef that convention dictates that the bag is what is picked, not that which are claimed as hit.

The name of the game is crop protection and you certainly did that whatever the numbers.

webber

we did confirm all hit birds (Pigeons that hit the deck), any that flew away were not counted as hits ( even if we seen feathers fly)- we used 2 different piles for the catridges, 1 was for confirmed hits & the other was classed as missed birds - (Total in confirmed pile was 186).

So i class what we shot on the day as 186, even though only 102 were picked up. :)

Hi was just wondering about that amount of birds being left in the crop.Would they cause any damage to either the crop through the spread of disease, or harm to machinery ( less likely i know) but there was a rumour going round this area that pigeons that were left in a field of some crop that was turned into silage for cattle spread diseases and the farmer lost some cattle.

One of the members on here might know more, it was close to his brothers' gun shop (Cookstown area)

Most of them will be left untouched as the combine doesn't cut the crop that low with silage it may be slightly different but you can walk round more in silage looking for birds without causing damage. I've heard my mate put a fox through the combine by accident of course and even that only produced a small puff of black smoke :) Obviously someones bread would have had traces of fox on it but guess it would have been well cooked by then :good:

Personally I'm another who will make the best efforts to find birds but will leave what isn't easy to find in standing crops.

There is always some one out there that will try and knock you down or nit-pick your post.

:good: :o :D :D :D???

:)

Dave K

Cheers Dave :good:

My sentiments exactly - farmer would not be happy with us trampling down his wheat just to find pigeons and i'm quite sure if he seen us do this Magman would soon lose his permisssion.

What about a dog to pick the ones in that fell in the wheat?

dazza no dog's aloud until the combines been there :good:

blackthorn Posted Today, 12:36 PM

magman well done you two new i should have bent them barrels

funny enough i was using the 686 that day :good:

now where did i get that i wonder :)

Guest rabgoat

good shootin lads :good: i was just thinkin about the birds you can't lift,surely the fox's will be in there tramplin about after the dead birds doing damage to the crop,it would be worth going back for a look at night. :lol:

plus not to good for the dog in imho :lol:

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

???

Dave K

Just to confirm Dave K, i am not a negativeee?, non-shooter or armchair expert :lol:

i support the shooting community no matter what form we come in.

BUT WE have a responsibility to safeguard our future of shooting/hunting for us and those that come after, by acting in a proper manner in the eyes of both shooters, and more importantly, those against shooting. ???

"******** to 'em all I say.", is hardly a positive response that paints a good picture or defense for shooting to those against hunting/shooting. ???

i did actually congratulate the lads for dooing a grand job for the farmer,

BUT, i personally do not agree with shooting birds that cannot be retrieved ???

What is your stance, Dave K, seeing your such an expert, on the DUMPING shot birds? :good: