Fitting magnets in walking stick ferrule

Big Al

33 minutes ago, Westley said:

No, BUT, I did use an old speaker magnet (circular) pushed onto the end of a thumbstick and held in place by tape. Worked OK if you can stand the "You've  lost yer ski's" comments  ! 

I get enough stick - I'll maybe not!

29 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Try a Farrier’s supplier 

most of us have them in the end of our hammer handles 

there small 3/8 round and surprisingly strong 

Thanks for the tip!

27 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

You need Neodymium Magnets, come in an array of different shapes, bay of plenty has a good source.

Cheers - I'll have a look. I was crawling under bushes yesterday trying to dig them out!

Would one magnet be enough?

9 minutes ago, Big Al said:

Cheers - I'll have a look. I was crawling under bushes yesterday trying to dig them out!

Would one magnet be enough?

I've got some 10mm and you struggle parting them. Have a look about and saw it size you can get away with. Then you need to look at how you are going to attach it, possible use an epoxy adhesive. 

25 minutes ago, haynes said:

There are magnets with a countersunk hole in them so they can be screwed on to stuff. Think they are the super strong neodium type magnets. Ive seen them for holding tools etc. 

That was my next question - can you drill holes in them?

I usually use spent cartridge heads with the primer knocked out as a ferrules- epoxy and a screw through the primer hole locks it in place.

Thanks for all the replies - much appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Yep, one would be enough, they are powerful for their size, quick look on the bay these popped up.

A recess countersunk in the bottom of your stick & epoxy it in & your go to go.

I can't find that link.

What about these inside the cartridge head? 10mm with a recessed hole.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323317148175

Edited by Big Al

I have made a couple with a small magnet in the ferrule it found you can only pick up one or two cartridges at a time. 

My idea was to make a ferrule like the end of a shooting stick. I then made a end with a rubber foot for hard surfaces and a large magnet that will pick up a bunch of cartridges, these fittings just screw on as required as photo

image.jpeg

As above this is a photo of the complete stick

I bought 5 Neodynium magnets 10mmx3mm with a 5mm hole to fix to the bike drainplug with a 5mm countersunk setscrew.

The hole is undersized.

No problem. I thought, I'll just drill it out.

So I set it up in the lathe chuck, tightened it up and "ping"

They shatter very easily.

OK, just file another one out with a small needle-file

The file didn't touch it.

Then I remembered that I had bought, on a whim last year, a set of cheap diamond files from Lidl.

BINGO!

The diamond cut through with no problem.

Then, as I'm doing this, I thought, I wonder what the properties of Neodynium are? Is it toxic? Will the dust do horrid things to me?

A quick look on Google reassured me that, although the dust is apparently highly flammable, there are few other risks.

So, if you need to modify your magnet, forget about drilling or filing unless you have a diamond file and put out your fag.

………. or just use a different sized screw

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for fort for magnets, I screwed one of the longer countersink ones to the end of stick and expoyed it on then built up layers of epoxy as a lacquer sanding each time then painted black and then clear varnish over the whole thing a few times, looks fine and has a 20kg ish pull... surprises a few on the gun bus when it sticks to the floor..

• 3 months later...